Digital camera no longer show up as removeable storage

Since installing SP2 I have had problems downloading
pictures from my Casio digital camera. When I connect
the camera, XP detects it as a USB device and loads the
camera as "Generic Volume H:". It seems it used to load
as a removeable storage device with the same drive
letter. Now I can not see H: in My Computer or Windows
Explorer. The camera wizard also does not work any more
(another SP2 issue). Since XP doesn't properly recognize
my camera I have no way to download pictures. Does
anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this problem?
Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about digital camera longer show removeable storage

    Two suggestions. First is to update your chipset (motherboard) drivers.
    There is a known issue with SP2 and USB drivers not being updated or
    messed up after installing SP2. Installing the chipset drivers will fix
    this problem. Second thought is to go into Disk Management (Right click
    on My Computer, click Manage, click Disk Management) and try to assign
    it a different letter (say L:)

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    Steve Henry wrote:
    > Since installing SP2 I have had problems downloading
    > pictures from my Casio digital camera. When I connect
    > the camera, XP detects it as a USB device and loads the
    > camera as "Generic Volume H:". It seems it used to load
    > as a removeable storage device with the same drive
    > letter. Now I can not see H: in My Computer or Windows
    > Explorer. The camera wizard also does not work any more
    > (another SP2 issue). Since XP doesn't properly recognize
    > my camera I have no way to download pictures. Does
    > anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this problem?
    > Thanks.

    Thanks for the advice. I tried the second option as the
    less intrusive. I reassigned the drive to letter L:
    through the disk management utility. Once I did so, the
    drive was immediately recognized by Windows and
    reappeared in Explorer. As an added bonus, the camera
    wizard works again. Thanks for the help! Can I expect
    to have problems with drive H: in the future? How about
    with other removeable storage devices? I'm still curious
    about exactly what caused this problem. Thanks again.

    I don't know why, but if you uninstall "real Player" it might fix your
    problem. I had the same problem and it worked for me!

    "Steve Henry" wrote:

    > Since installing SP2 I have had problems downloading
    > pictures from my Casio digital camera. When I connect
    > the camera, XP detects it as a USB device and loads the
    > camera as "Generic Volume H:". It seems it used to load
    > as a removeable storage device with the same drive
    > letter. Now I can not see H: in My Computer or Windows
    > Explorer. The camera wizard also does not work any more
    > (another SP2 issue). Since XP doesn't properly recognize
    > my camera I have no way to download pictures. Does
    > anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this problem?
    > Thanks.

Cameras Windows XP