K7s5a No Boot after BIOS update

Just tried a BIOS update to latest (030811) because I was
having occasional system failures. Inital check by
aminf341.exe stated the bios was correct, then after the
update began the video went blank and now the maching won't
boot at all. Now what? My motherboard is version 3.1 and I
downloaded BIOS from that site. I have updated in the past
without a problem.

gm

gmnospam@nospam.xyz wrote:

> Just tried a BIOS update to latest (030811) because I was
> having occasional system failures. Inital check by
> aminf341.exe stated the bios was correct, then after the
> update began the video went blank and now the maching won't
> boot at all. Now what? My motherboard is version 3.1 and I
> downloaded BIOS from that site. I have updated in the past
> without a problem.
>
> gm

I have cleared CMOS and stepped back to 021029, but now the CPU
is no longer being recognized correctly. CPU is AMD XP1800+, it
is being recognized as AMD K7 and set to 100MHz. I have cleared
CMOS several more times and tried flashing BIOS to each of the
last 5 available loads, but in every case the CPU is not
correctly identified. I know it was being recognized before
this whole exercise in frustration began, so what do I need to
do to get this damn thing back to the proper setup?

gm

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 12:37:38 -0500 There I was minding my own business
and then gmnospam@nospam.xyz wrote :

>gmnospam@nospam.xyz wrote:
>
>> Just tried a BIOS update to latest (030811) because I was
>> having occasional system failures. Inital check by
>> aminf341.exe stated the bios was correct, then after the
>> update began the video went blank and now the maching won't
>> boot at all. Now what? My motherboard is version 3.1 and I
>> downloaded BIOS from that site. I have updated in the past
>> without a problem.
>>
>> gm
>
>I have cleared CMOS and stepped back to 021029, but now the CPU
>is no longer being recognized correctly. CPU is AMD XP1800+, it
>is being recognized as AMD K7 and set to 100MHz. I have cleared
>CMOS several more times and tried flashing BIOS to each of the
>last 5 available loads, but in every case the CPU is not
>correctly identified. I know it was being recognized before
>this whole exercise in frustration began, so what do I need to
>do to get this damn thing back to the proper setup?
>
>gm

Did you clear the BIOS with the power cord pulled out?

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

"Shep©" wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 12:37:38 -0500 There I was minding my own business
> and then gmnospam@nospam.xyz wrote :
>
> >gmnospam@nospam.xyz wrote:
> >
> >> Just tried a BIOS update to latest (030811) because I was
> >> having occasional system failures. Inital check by
> >> aminf341.exe stated the bios was correct, then after the
> >> update began the video went blank and now the maching won't
> >> boot at all. Now what? My motherboard is version 3.1 and I
> >> downloaded BIOS from that site. I have updated in the past
> >> without a problem.
> >>
> >> gm
> >
> >I have cleared CMOS and stepped back to 021029, but now the CPU
> >is no longer being recognized correctly. CPU is AMD XP1800+, it
> >is being recognized as AMD K7 and set to 100MHz. I have cleared
> >CMOS several more times and tried flashing BIOS to each of the
> >last 5 available loads, but in every case the CPU is not
> >correctly identified. I know it was being recognized before
> >this whole exercise in frustration began, so what do I need to
> >do to get this damn thing back to the proper setup?
> >
> >gm
> >

> Did you clear the BIOS with the power cord pulled out?
>
> --
> Free Windows/PC help,
> remove obvious to reply
> email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
> Free songs to download and,"BURN" :O)
> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

yes

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 18:09:20 -0500 There I was minding my own business
and then gmnospam@nospam.xyz wrote :

>"Shep©" wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 12:37:38 -0500 There I was minding my own business
>> and then gmnospam@nospam.xyz wrote :

>> >I have cleared CMOS and stepped back to 021029, but now the CPU
>> >is no longer being recognized correctly. CPU is AMD XP1800+, it
>> >is being recognized as AMD K7 and set to 100MHz. I have cleared
>> >CMOS several more times and tried flashing BIOS to each of the
>> >last 5 available loads, but in every case the CPU is not
>> >correctly identified. I know it was being recognized before
>> >this whole exercise in frustration began, so what do I need to
>> >do to get this damn thing back to the proper setup?
>> >
>> >gm
>> >

>> Did you clear the BIOS with the power cord pulled out?
>>

>yes

Try an O/C BIOS and up the FSB and CPU to 138/138 as they like this if
you have 133 RAM? :)
Click here,
http://p199.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum
HTH :)

--

"Shep©" wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 18:09:20 -0500 There I was minding my own business
> and then gmnospam@nospam.xyz wrote :
>
> >"Shep©" wrote:

> >> Did you clear the BIOS with the power cord pulled out?
> >>

> >yes
> >

> Try an O/C BIOS and up the FSB and CPU to 138/138 as they like this if
> you have 133 RAM? :)
> Click here,
> http://p199.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum
> HTH :)
>
> --
> Free Windows/PC help,
> remove obvious to reply
> email shep@obviouspartyheld.de
> Free songs to download and,"BURN" :O)
> http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/nomessiahsmusic.htm

Thanks, but I am not interested in O/C, I am just looking for how to get the
OEM BIOS working correctly. I'll hold out for that post.
gm

<gmnospam@nospam.xyz> wrote in message
> "Shep©" wrote:
>
> Thanks, but I am not interested in O/C, I am just looking for how to
get the
> OEM BIOS working correctly. I'll hold out for that post.
> gm

Put the HoneyX BIOS in and set it to 138/138 as suggested by Shep.
It is only a slight OC and it seems to stabilize the system.
I use it with PC-133 ram and I have a Palomino 2100+ and I am running
Win98SE.
Works great.

Buffalo wrote:

> <gmnospam@nospam.xyz> wrote in message
> > "Shep©" wrote:
> >
> > Thanks, but I am not interested in O/C, I am just looking for how to
> get the
> > OEM BIOS working correctly. I'll hold out for that post.
> > gm
> >
> Put the HoneyX BIOS in and set it to 138/138 as suggested by Shep.
> It is only a slight OC and it seems to stabilize the system.
> I use it with PC-133 ram and I have a Palomino 2100+ and I am running
> Win98SE.
> Works great.

OK, I will go ahead and give Shep's suggestion a try, but I would still
like to understand why the OEM BIOS, that used to recognize my CPU
correctly, no longer does so.

Thanks,
GM

gmnospam@nospam.xyz wrote:
> Buffalo wrote:
>
>> <gmnospam@nospam.xyz> wrote in message
>>> "Shep©" wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, but I am not interested in O/C, I am just looking for how
>>> to get the OEM BIOS working correctly. I'll hold out for that post.
>>> gm
>>>
>> Put the HoneyX BIOS in and set it to 138/138 as suggested by Shep.
>> It is only a slight OC and it seems to stabilize the system.
>> I use it with PC-133 ram and I have a Palomino 2100+ and I am running
>> Win98SE.
>> Works great.
>
> OK, I will go ahead and give Shep's suggestion a try, but I would
> still like to understand why the OEM BIOS, that used to recognize my
> CPU correctly, no longer does so.
>
> Thanks,
> GM

Can't you just set the CPU FSB at 133 mhz? This will enable the CMOS to
correctly identify your 1800 Palomino (?). At present, it is running at
100mhz and the CMOS can't identify the CPU correctly.

> Buffalo wrote:
>
> > <gmnospam@nospam.xyz> wrote in message
> > > "Shep©" wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks, but I am not interested in O/C, I am just looking for
how to
> > get the
> > > OEM BIOS working correctly. I'll hold out for that post.
> > > gm
> > >
> > Put the HoneyX BIOS in and set it to 138/138 as suggested by Shep.
> > It is only a slight OC and it seems to stabilize the system.
> > I use it with PC-133 ram and I have a Palomino 2100+ and I am
running
> > Win98SE.
> > Works great.
>
> OK, I will go ahead and give Shep's suggestion a try, but I would
still
> like to understand why the OEM BIOS, that used to recognize my CPU
> correctly, no longer does so.
>
> Thanks,
> GM
and Dram Frequency to 133MHz and save and close out and reboot. It
sounds like it is set to a CPU Frequency of 100MHz.

gmnospam@nospam.xyz wrote:

> Buffalo wrote:
>
> > <gmnospam@nospam.xyz> wrote in message
> > > "Shep©" wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks, but I am not interested in O/C, I am just looking for how to
> > get the
> > > OEM BIOS working correctly. I'll hold out for that post.
> > > gm
> > >
> > Put the HoneyX BIOS in and set it to 138/138 as suggested by Shep.
> > It is only a slight OC and it seems to stabilize the system.
> > I use it with PC-133 ram and I have a Palomino 2100+ and I am running
> > Win98SE.
> > Works great.
>
> OK, I will go ahead and give Shep's suggestion a try, but I would still
> like to understand why the OEM BIOS, that used to recognize my CPU
> correctly, no longer does so.
>
> Thanks,
> GM

Thanks to all, I have installed Honey and will see how that goes for the
time being. FYI my setting was at 100/100, so from a couple posts that
sounds like the reason the CPU did not show correct. Although I though it
had automatically set in the past, but I could be remembering wrong. I'll
keep my fingers crossed things get back to normal now!
gm

On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 07:19:51 -0500 There I was minding my own business
and then gmnospam@nospam.xyz wrote :

>Buffalo wrote:
>
>> <gmnospam@nospam.xyz> wrote in message
>> > "Shep©" wrote:
>> >
>> > Thanks, but I am not interested in O/C, I am just looking for how to
>> get the
>> > OEM BIOS working correctly. I'll hold out for that post.
>> > gm
>> >
>> Put the HoneyX BIOS in and set it to 138/138 as suggested by Shep.
>> It is only a slight OC and it seems to stabilize the system.
>> I use it with PC-133 ram and I have a Palomino 2100+ and I am running
>> Win98SE.
>> Works great.
>
>OK, I will go ahead and give Shep's suggestion a try, but I would still
>like to understand why the OEM BIOS, that used to recognize my CPU
>correctly, no longer does so.
>
>Thanks,
>GM

What he said above is what I should have said as well.The HoneyX BIOS
even if you don't want to O/C is superb.He knows his stuff :p

--

> gmnospam@nospam.xyz wrote:
>
> > Buffalo wrote:
> >
> > > <gmnospam@nospam.xyz> wrote in message

> > > get the
> > > >
> > > Put the HoneyX BIOS in and set it to 138/138 as suggested by
Shep.
> > > It is only a slight OC and it seems to stabilize the system.
> > > I use it with PC-133 ram and I have a Palomino 2100+ and I am
running
> > > Win98SE.
> > > Works great.
> >
> > OK, I will go ahead and give Shep's suggestion a try, but I would
still
> > like to understand why the OEM BIOS, that used to recognize my CPU
> > correctly, no longer does so.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > GM
>
> Thanks to all, I have installed Honey and will see how that goes for
the
> time being. FYI my setting was at 100/100, so from a couple posts
that
> sounds like the reason the CPU did not show correct. Although I
though it
> had automatically set in the past, but I could be remembering wrong.
I'll
> keep my fingers crossed things get back to normal now!
> gm

Set it to 138/138 for better stability and a slight increase in
performance.