Moving XP to a new hard drive

October 1, 2004 3:15:02 PM

In attempting to update XP with SP2, there is not enough space on the current
HD.
Is there a way to "move" SP to a new drive while maintaining all of the
currently installed applications, etc.

In addition, given the size of the new HD, I am looking at ntfs versus fat32
formatting. Should that be done first on the new drive before moving XP? Is
it possible to install the new drive with fat32 on the current drive?

More about : moving hard drive

Anonymous
October 2, 2004 2:24:47 AM

You can read fat files on ntfs but you cannot read ntfs on
fat so the obvious choice would be ntfs. there also two
more ongoing posts with great info about copying
drives...... "Cant access new external usb hard drive"
and....." transfering information from 1Hard drive...."
read those too...Aloha

..

Anonymous
October 2, 2004 11:49:53 AM

hawaiiantim wrote:
> You can read fat files on ntfs but you cannot read ntfs on
> fat so the obvious choice would be ntfs. there also two
> more ongoing posts with great info about copying
> drives...... "Cant access new external usb hard drive"
> and....." transfering information from 1Hard drive...."
> read those too...Aloha

That statement is bound to confuse some folks, since both FAT
and NTFS are passive entities and do not read anything.

XP is an OS which is capable of using files on volumes which are
formatted with NTFS or FAT. {This PC has a HD with a mixture
of NTFS, FAT32, and FAT16 partitions, and file access works the
same way on all those parts.}

If your OS is any flavor of XP, then I suggest using NTFS since
it is a more reliable and more flexible filesystem.
--
Cheers, Bob
!