Moving XP to a new hard drive

In attempting to update XP with SP2, there is not enough space on the current
HD.
Is there a way to "move" SP to a new drive while maintaining all of the
currently installed applications, etc.

In addition, given the size of the new HD, I am looking at ntfs versus fat32
formatting. Should that be done first on the new drive before moving XP? Is
it possible to install the new drive with fat32 on the current drive?
2 answers Last reply
More about moving hard drive

    You can read fat files on ntfs but you cannot read ntfs on
    fat so the obvious choice would be ntfs. there also two
    more ongoing posts with great info about copying
    drives...... "Cant access new external usb hard drive"
    and....." transfering information from 1Hard drive...."
    read those too...Aloha

    ..

    hawaiiantim wrote:
    > You can read fat files on ntfs but you cannot read ntfs on
    > fat so the obvious choice would be ntfs. there also two
    > more ongoing posts with great info about copying
    > drives...... "Cant access new external usb hard drive"
    > and....." transfering information from 1Hard drive...."
    > read those too...Aloha

    That statement is bound to confuse some folks, since both FAT
    and NTFS are passive entities and do not read anything.

    XP is an OS which is capable of using files on volumes which are
    formatted with NTFS or FAT. {This PC has a HD with a mixture
    of NTFS, FAT32, and FAT16 partitions, and file access works the
    same way on all those parts.}

    If your OS is any flavor of XP, then I suggest using NTFS since
    it is a more reliable and more flexible filesystem.
    --
    Cheers, Bob

Windows XP Hard Drives