HP Tri-Color Cartridge #57 Compatibility

I have an HP Photosmart 7660 printing some photos....does a great job. My
#57 cartridge (c6657a) ran out of ink so my friend let me use his #57 from
his printer to finish the job.

When I put it in my printer, I get an error message saying that the
"cartridge is not compatible with my printer and to replace it with a #57
cartridge."

I inserted it a couple of times in case the contacts did not make well. The
label on both cartridges are identical and are marked 57, tri-color print
cartridge, hp c6657a.

I can't imagine that cartridges with the same label are different. The only
thing I can think of is that the cartridge got damaged on transit.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
--
Dave C.
2 answers Last reply

    "Dave C." <c9ar9dar9elli@9c4.n9et> wrote in message
    > I have an HP Photosmart 7660 printing some photos....does a great job. My
    > #57 cartridge (c6657a) ran out of ink so my friend let me use his #57 from
    > his printer to finish the job.
    >
    > When I put it in my printer, I get an error message saying that the
    > "cartridge is not compatible with my printer and to replace it with a #57
    > cartridge."
    >
    > I inserted it a couple of times in case the contacts did not make well. The
    > label on both cartridges are identical and are marked 57, tri-color print
    > cartridge, hp c6657a.
    >
    > I can't imagine that cartridges with the same label are different. The only
    > thing I can think of is that the cartridge got damaged on transit.

    The HP #57 cartridges are all the same, it does sound like you have a damaged
    one. The nozzle plate covers a silicon chip with the nozzles and electronics,
    this can be fragile if the cartridge is bumped or dropped. It may also be that
    you have some debris on the cartridge contacts. You could try cleaning the
    cartridge contacts as shown (for a different cartridge type) at:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpa02060

    Regards,

    Thanks, Bob, looks like the cartridge has been damaged. All tests did not
    work. (I put the Tech Support Site Home in my reference file....may need it
    in the future.)

    Regards
    --
    Dave C.

    c9ar9dar9elli@9c4.n9et

    Remove the five 9's (leave the 4) for email.

    "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message

    > "Dave C." <c9ar9dar9elli@9c4.n9et> wrote in message
    > > I have an HP Photosmart 7660 printing some photos....does a great job.
    My
    > > #57 cartridge (c6657a) ran out of ink so my friend let me use his #57
    from
    > > his printer to finish the job.
    > >
    > > When I put it in my printer, I get an error message saying that the
    > > "cartridge is not compatible with my printer and to replace it with a
    > > cartridge."
    > >
    > > I inserted it a couple of times in case the contacts did not make well.
    The
    > > label on both cartridges are identical and are marked 57, tri-color
    print
    > > cartridge, hp c6657a.
    > >
    > > I can't imagine that cartridges with the same label are different. The
    only
    > > thing I can think of is that the cartridge got damaged on transit.
    >
    > The HP #57 cartridges are all the same, it does sound like you have a
    damaged
    > one. The nozzle plate covers a silicon chip with the nozzles and
    electronics,
    > this can be fragile if the cartridge is bumped or dropped. It may also be
    that
    > you have some debris on the cartridge contacts. You could try cleaning the
    > cartridge contacts as shown (for a different cartridge type) at:

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpa02060

    > Regards,

Printers Hewlett Packard Compatibility Peripherals