Side mouse buttons revert to default settings

October 1, 2004 4:11:01 PM

When I first start WindowsXP my mouse (Intellimouse Optical USB) works fine.
After some time (1/2hr after reboot?) I'll notice the mouse cursor briefly
stop responding (1 second?), and when it starts again the side-mouse buttons
appear to have reverted back to the default settings.

I set the left side button to "exit program" and the right side button to
"back". When the problem occurs the left side button performs "back" and
right side button appears to do nothing.

I'm running WindowsXP SP2 using IntelliPoint 5.2 drivers. I've
uninstalled/reinstalled IntelliPoint drivers (old and new) several times.
I've tried a different USB port. Nothing is reported in my Event Viewer.
I'm at a loss.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 4:12:34 AM

Have you tried moving the mouse to a different port and see if it still
does the same thing in that port? This actually sounds like a bug in
the software to me, but I am unable to reproduce it :(

-----
Nathan McNulty

Paul wrote:
> When I first start WindowsXP my mouse (Intellimouse Optical USB) works fine.
> After some time (1/2hr after reboot?) I'll notice the mouse cursor briefly
> stop responding (1 second?), and when it starts again the side-mouse buttons
> appear to have reverted back to the default settings.
>
> I set the left side button to "exit program" and the right side button to
> "back". When the problem occurs the left side button performs "back" and
> right side button appears to do nothing.
>
> I'm running WindowsXP SP2 using IntelliPoint 5.2 drivers. I've
> uninstalled/reinstalled IntelliPoint drivers (old and new) several times.
> I've tried a different USB port. Nothing is reported in my Event Viewer.
> I'm at a loss.
October 4, 2004 11:52:20 AM

I mentioned in my initial posting that "I've tried a different USB port". If
you meant something other than that let me know.

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> Have you tried moving the mouse to a different port and see if it still
> does the same thing in that port? This actually sounds like a bug in
> the software to me, but I am unable to reproduce it :(
>
> -----
> Nathan McNulty
>
> Paul wrote:
> > When I first start WindowsXP my mouse (Intellimouse Optical USB) works fine.
> > After some time (1/2hr after reboot?) I'll notice the mouse cursor briefly
> > stop responding (1 second?), and when it starts again the side-mouse buttons
> > appear to have reverted back to the default settings.
> >
> > I set the left side button to "exit program" and the right side button to
> > "back". When the problem occurs the left side button performs "back" and
> > right side button appears to do nothing.
> >
> > I'm running WindowsXP SP2 using IntelliPoint 5.2 drivers. I've
> > uninstalled/reinstalled IntelliPoint drivers (old and new) several times.
> > I've tried a different USB port. Nothing is reported in my Event Viewer.
> > I'm at a loss.

October 4, 2004 3:01:18 PM

Sorry, I actually read over the different USB port part. Might want to
try setting the USB to 1.1 instead of 2.0 in the BIOS and see if it
still happens. That uses a different controller, but I highly doubt it
will fix any problem. My guess is a conflict with something you have
installed and the software or even a bug in the software when using that
specific mouse.

-----
Nathan McNulty

Paul wrote:
> I mentioned in my initial posting that "I've tried a different USB port". If
> you meant something other than that let me know.
>
> "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>

>>Have you tried moving the mouse to a different port and see if it still
>>does the same thing in that port? This actually sounds like a bug in
>>the software to me, but I am unable to reproduce it :(
>>
>>-----
>>Nathan McNulty
>>
>>Paul wrote:
>>
>>>When I first start WindowsXP my mouse (Intellimouse Optical USB) works fine.
>>>After some time (1/2hr after reboot?) I'll notice the mouse cursor briefly
>>>stop responding (1 second?), and when it starts again the side-mouse buttons
>>>appear to have reverted back to the default settings.
>>>
>>>I set the left side button to "exit program" and the right side button to
>>>"back". When the problem occurs the left side button performs "back" and
>>>right side button appears to do nothing.
>>>
>>>I'm running WindowsXP SP2 using IntelliPoint 5.2 drivers. I've
>>>uninstalled/reinstalled IntelliPoint drivers (old and new) several times.
>>>I've tried a different USB port. Nothing is reported in my Event Viewer.
>>>I'm at a loss.

October 5, 2004 2:59:06 PM

My mouse was under warranty so I had it replaced.
Old mouse was an Intellipoint Optical Mouse
New mouse is an Intellipoint Optical Mouse 1.1A.

Problems have all gone away!

Thanks for your time, Nathan.

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> Sorry, I actually read over the different USB port part. Might want to
> try setting the USB to 1.1 instead of 2.0 in the BIOS and see if it
> still happens. That uses a different controller, but I highly doubt it
> will fix any problem. My guess is a conflict with something you have
> installed and the software or even a bug in the software when using that
> specific mouse.
>
> -----
> Nathan McNulty
>
> Paul wrote:
> > I mentioned in my initial posting that "I've tried a different USB port". If
> > you meant something other than that let me know.
> >
> > "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
> >

> >>Have you tried moving the mouse to a different port and see if it still
> >>does the same thing in that port? This actually sounds like a bug in
> >>the software to me, but I am unable to reproduce it :(
> >>
> >>-----
> >>Nathan McNulty

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 9:59:17 PM

Glad to hear it is working. Isn't MS great at backing their products?
I had no problem replacing my first BlueTooth Desktop when the keyboard
stopped working. They even told me to keep the extra mouse! :)

-----
Nathan McNulty

Paul wrote:
> My mouse was under warranty so I had it replaced.
> Old mouse was an Intellipoint Optical Mouse
> New mouse is an Intellipoint Optical Mouse 1.1A.
>
> Problems have all gone away!
>
> Thanks for your time, Nathan.
>
> "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>

>>Sorry, I actually read over the different USB port part. Might want to
>>try setting the USB to 1.1 instead of 2.0 in the BIOS and see if it
>>still happens. That uses a different controller, but I highly doubt it
>>will fix any problem. My guess is a conflict with something you have
>>installed and the software or even a bug in the software when using that
>>specific mouse.
>>
>>-----
>>Nathan McNulty
>>
>>Paul wrote:
>>
>>>I mentioned in my initial posting that "I've tried a different USB port". If
>>>you meant something other than that let me know.

October 5, 2004 10:17:01 PM

It was less than a year old - they're LUCKY they backed up the little beast!
;-)

!