Win XP setup boot stalls after "starting windows"

I uninstalled AOL for Broadband, then on restart, I got this error: "file is
missing or corrupt, windows/system32/config/system"

When I try to boot in safe mode, the system stalls and reboots.

When I boot to the XP setup CDROM, it either 1) hangs after "starting
windows" or 2) give error: "line xxxx of INF file \i386\txtsetup.sif is
invalid"

Each time I try a boot, I get a different error. I've also seen, " entry
ntkrnlmp.exe in [SourceDisksFiles] section of INF file is corrupt or missing."

Somtimes I get a blue screen which advises me to take out extraneous
hardware-software (I've taken out all extra hardware), run "driver verifier,"
enable "special pool," and recommends disabling caching and shadowing in the
BIOS (I've done this).

I have important files on the hard disk with no backup.

Thanks for your help.

Are you able to boot off the Windows XP CD, choose to INSTALL Windows,
then press R to repair it (after choosing to install, it will offer you
this)? You say it hangs after "Starting Windows" but have you left it
alone for a while? You may want to try setting your BIOS settings to
the default settings too and see if that helps ;)

-----
Nathan McNulty