Win XP setup boot stalls after "starting windows"

I uninstalled AOL for Broadband, then on restart, I got this error: "file is
missing or corrupt, windows/system32/config/system"

When I try to boot in safe mode, the system stalls and reboots.

When I boot to the XP setup CDROM, it either 1) hangs after "starting
windows" or 2) give error: "line xxxx of INF file \i386\txtsetup.sif is
invalid"

Each time I try a boot, I get a different error. I've also seen, " entry
ntkrnlmp.exe in [SourceDisksFiles] section of INF file is corrupt or missing."

Somtimes I get a blue screen which advises me to take out extraneous
hardware-software (I've taken out all extra hardware), run "driver verifier,"
enable "special pool," and recommends disabling caching and shadowing in the
BIOS (I've done this).

I have important files on the hard disk with no backup.

Thanks for your help.
1 answer Last reply
More about setup boot stalls starting windows

    Are you able to boot off the Windows XP CD, choose to INSTALL Windows,
    then press R to repair it (after choosing to install, it will offer you
    this)? You say it hangs after "Starting Windows" but have you left it
    alone for a while? You may want to try setting your BIOS settings to
    the default settings too and see if that helps ;)

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    goatherder3 wrote:
    > I uninstalled AOL for Broadband, then on restart, I got this error: "file is
    > missing or corrupt, windows/system32/config/system"
    >
    > When I try to boot in safe mode, the system stalls and reboots.
    >
    > When I boot to the XP setup CDROM, it either 1) hangs after "starting
    > windows" or 2) give error: "line xxxx of INF file \i386\txtsetup.sif is
    > invalid"
    >
    > Each time I try a boot, I get a different error. I've also seen, " entry
    > ntkrnlmp.exe in [SourceDisksFiles] section of INF file is corrupt or missing."
    >
    > Somtimes I get a blue screen which advises me to take out extraneous
    > hardware-software (I've taken out all extra hardware), run "driver verifier,"
    > enable "special pool," and recommends disabling caching and shadowing in the
    > BIOS (I've done this).
    >
    > I have important files on the hard disk with no backup.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

Hardware Boot Windows XP