KT600-A mobo with power but no POST

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

Brand new ECS KT600-A mobo.
No matter what hardware I have plugged in, even if no hardware, I get
no POST beeps at all.
It gets power because fans plugged into the mobo turn on, keyboard
lights turn on, etc, but it never starts a POST.
I can have a known working video card and known working RAM plugged in
and the CPU fan (in the right place) and nothing else, and the PC
speaker (the right direction on the pins,) and I still get no beeps at
all.
Of course it goes without saying if I get no POST I also get nothing
on the screen. The monitor's power light comes on solid at the very
beginning of the power on, but then goes to flashing like it's getting
no signal.

Any ideas what it could be? Or what I can do to narrow down the
problem?

Thanks!
Liam

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

news@celticbear.com (LRW) wrote in

> Brand new ECS KT600-A mobo.
> No matter what hardware I have plugged in, even if no hardware, I get
> no POST beeps at all.
> It gets power because fans plugged into the mobo turn on, keyboard
> lights turn on, etc, but it never starts a POST.
> I can have a known working video card and known working RAM plugged in
> and the CPU fan (in the right place) and nothing else, and the PC
> speaker (the right direction on the pins,) and I still get no beeps at
> all.
> Of course it goes without saying if I get no POST I also get nothing
> on the screen. The monitor's power light comes on solid at the very
> beginning of the power on, but then goes to flashing like it's getting
> no signal.
>
> Any ideas what it could be? Or what I can do to narrow down the
> problem?
>
> Thanks!
> Liam

1. Have you checked if the M/B is shorted to the case?
2. Have you removed all cards, drives, mouse and KB to check for a POST?
3. Is the CPU correctly seated?
4. Have you substituted a known good CPU?

Yes X 4=DOA

Thagor <thagor@email.coma> wrote in message news:<Xns957ADB63A2C3Dthagmailcoma@207.115.63.158>...
> news@celticbear.com (LRW) wrote in
>
> > Brand new ECS KT600-A mobo.
> > No matter what hardware I have plugged in, even if no hardware, I get
> > no POST beeps at all.
--SNIP--
> > Any ideas what it could be? Or what I can do to narrow down the
> > problem?
> >
> 1. Have you checked if the M/B is shorted to the case?
> 2. Have you removed all cards, drives, mouse and KB to check for a POST?
> 3. Is the CPU correctly seated?
> 4. Have you substituted a known good CPU?
>
> Yes X 4=DOA

Thanks for the reply!
Chances are by the time this reply gets posted to the newsgroup it'll
be a moot question, but oh well....

How can I make sure the mobo isn't shorting to the case?
There's nothing toching the board from the topside, and on the bottom
I left on the foam padding, so there's no part of the bottom of the
board that can touch the case directly.
I'm using screws that aren't any bigger than the metal ring that
protects the screw hole, and they aren't screwed in too tight.
(By the way, is it a bad thing to leave the foam padding under the
board?)

At lunch I'm going home to grab a known working CPU and see if that'll
boot up. But how can there be a problem with being seated incorrectly?
I mean, you just drop the CPU in the only way it fits, letting gravity
do the work with no pushing or wiggling, then lock it down, yes?

I tried it again with absolutely nothing plugged in except the power
supply connector and the CPU and the case speaker, and still no POST
whatsoever.
If the spare CPU this afternoon doesn't change anything, I guess it's
RMA time. =)

Thanks for the suggestions!!
Liam

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

> How can I make sure the mobo isn't shorting to the case?
> There's nothing toching the board from the topside, and on the bottom
> I left on the foam padding, so there's no part of the bottom of the
> board that can touch the case directly.
> I'm using screws that aren't any bigger than the metal ring that
> protects the screw hole, and they aren't screwed in too tight.
> (By the way, is it a bad thing to leave the foam padding under the
> board?)

> Thanks for the suggestions!!
> Liam

If your cables are long enough you can try to boot with the motherboard
outside of the case resting on the foam. I set mine on a cardboard box
beside the case. As to keeping the foam pad once mounted in the case I
think the foam would prevent heat disapation from the back of the
motherboard. I can't think of any good reason to keep it once the
motherboard is mounted in the case. Probably not a good idea IMHO.
--
FRH

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

> How can I make sure the mobo isn't shorting to the case?
> There's nothing toching the board from the topside, and on the bottom
> I left on the foam padding, so there's no part of the bottom of the
> board that can touch the case directly.

You should take the foam away when you install the motherboard in a case.
Otherwise it might overheat around the back of the processor or chipset!

Have you checked the BIOS reset jumper. This sounds daft and obvious, but if
you have moved that over for any reason, you'll get nothing when you power
on!

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 07:44:12 -0700, LRW wrote:

> How can I make sure the mobo isn't shorting to the case?

Take it out and bench test it.

> There's nothing toching the board from the topside, and on the bottom
> I left on the foam padding, so there's no part of the bottom of the
> board that can touch the case directly.
> I'm using screws that aren't any bigger than the metal ring that
> protects the screw hole, and they aren't screwed in too tight.
> (By the way, is it a bad thing to leave the foam padding under the
> board?)

You put the foam packing into the case? I hope not. Some foams are
conductive. Yours may or may not be, but it still isn't supposed to be
installed. It's just for packing protection. Comn ductive foam is used
during shipment storage of IC components to recude the chance of static
damage. It's usually either black or pink from the treatment in gets to
make it conductive.

Wes Newell <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.10.07.16.37.44.580809@TAKEOUTverizon.net>...
> On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 07:44:12 -0700, LRW wrote:
>
> > How can I make sure the mobo isn't shorting to the case?
>
> Take it out and bench test it.
>

> You put the foam packing into the case? I hope not. Some foams are
> conductive. Yours may or may not be, but it still isn't supposed to be
> installed. It's just for packing protection. Comn ductive foam is used
> during shipment storage of IC components to recude the chance of static
> damage. It's usually either black or pink from the treatment in gets to
> make it conductive.

Wow, I had no idea the foam could be conductive!
My concern was with heat, but never did I ever consider it to be a
conduction issue.
So, it's OK to have the board resting resting against the back of the
case??
The back panel of the case is flat metal with screw holes. Nothing to
lift the board up from touching the back of the case. Which is why I
left the foam on (thinking the foam would NOT be a conductor.)
The case and board are new; should one of them have come with
something to lift the board? I can't imagine it though, since the I/O
section of the board fits perfectly in the cut square in the case. If
it was lifted any higher it wouldn't fit in there.

I already RMA'ed the board as DOA since I tested it with only the PSU,
a known working CPU, vid card, RAM, and PC speaker, and still no POST.
I guess when the replacement comes I'll be sure to not use the foam.
=)

Oh, and in answer to another reply, yeah, the clear CMOS jumper was in
normal position. But thanks for the suggestion. That one got me a
couple of years ago. =)

Thanks,
Liam

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

> Wow, I had no idea the foam could be conductive!
> My concern was with heat, but never did I ever consider it to be a
> conduction issue.
> So, it's OK to have the board resting resting against the back of the
> case??

NO NO NO!!! The motherboard conducts electricity around the various
components. On the back of the board are lots of metal 'bits' that must not
touch anything conductive otherwise it will, at best, not work and at worst,
blow up!

> The case and board are new; should one of them have come with
> something to lift the board? I can't imagine it though, since the I/O
> section of the board fits perfectly in the cut square in the case. If
> it was lifted any higher it wouldn't fit in there.

You should have some brass spacers (maybe 6 of them) They lift the
motherboard about half a centimetre off the case and allow stop anything
from shorting. They are brass, usually hexagonal cross section. These screw
into the screw holes on the case, then the motherboard sits on top of them
and screws pass through the special insulated holes in the motherboard and
hold it onto the spacers.

Please do not sit the motherboard on the metal case, on the conductive foam,
on your lap, on water etc!!! For testing - put it on a book or cardboard or
something that won't conduct electricity. When you are happy with it,
install it in the case using the brass metal spacers. I think they come with
the case - in the little bag with all the screws for mounting hard drives,
PCI cards etc.

It will fit, but you do have to 'wiggle' things a bit sometimes. Just be
careful that the back of the motherboard is not scraping on the brass
spacers when you 'wiggle' it!!!

> Oh, and in answer to another reply, yeah, the clear CMOS jumper was in
> normal position. But thanks for the suggestion. That one got me a
> couple of years ago. =)

Was still worth suggesting! Sometime we automatically assume it is something
complicated and the obvious things can slip past us!

"Gareth Tuckwell" <ContactGT@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<utx9d.292$oo3.158@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>...
> > Wow, I had no idea the foam could be conductive!
> > My concern was with heat, but never did I ever consider it to be a
> > conduction issue.
> > So, it's OK to have the board resting resting against the back of the
> > case??
>
> NO NO NO!!! The motherboard conducts electricity around the various
> components. On the back of the board are lots of metal 'bits' that must not
> touch anything conductive otherwise it will, at best, not work and at worst,
> blow up!

Sorry, the text didn't convey my verbal incredulousness. =) I meant to
imply that I did not believe it was a good idea to do so, while trying
to get across an assumed question of what the alternative is. ;)
In deed, I do see about 10 brass hex screws, with a male on one end
and female on the other. I'd considered if those were necessary, but
they seem so tall that I didn't (and still don't) think that the board
will be able to sit down far enough for the I/O section to fit in the
cut hole in the case.
But, I'll give it a try when the board comes back. Since, well, that's
the way it's supposed to work. =)

> > Oh, and in answer to another reply, yeah, the clear CMOS jumper was in
> > normal position. But thanks for the suggestion. That one got me a
> > couple of years ago. =)
>
> Was still worth suggesting! Sometime we automatically assume it is something
> complicated and the obvious things can slip past us!

:::nods::: Oh no, it's cool. I've been doing tech support in one way
or another for about 7 years no, and now and then when I'm not paying
attention I still get thrown by something simply not being plugged in.
=)

Thanks for the replies!
Liam

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

(If this is a duplicate post, Sorry. My news client crashed in
mid-send.)

"Gareth Tuckwell" <ContactGT@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<utx9d.292$oo3.158@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net>...
> > Wow, I had no idea the foam could be conductive!
> > My concern was with heat, but never did I ever consider it to be a
> > conduction issue.
> > So, it's OK to have the board resting resting against the back of the
> > case??
>
> NO NO NO!!! The motherboard conducts electricity around the various
> components. On the back of the board are lots of metal 'bits' that must not
> touch anything conductive otherwise it will, at best, not work and at worst,
> blow up!

Sorry, the text didn't convey my verbal incredulousness. =) I meant to
imply that I did not believe it was a good idea to do so, while trying
to get across an assumed question of what the alternative is. ;)
In deed, I do see about 10 brass hex screws, with a male on one end
and female on the other. I'd considered if those were necessary, but
they seem so tall that I didn't (and still don't) think that the board
will be able to sit down far enough for the I/O section to fit in the
cut hole in the case.
But, I'll give it a try when the board comes back. Since, well, that's
the way it's supposed to work. =)

> > Oh, and in answer to another reply, yeah, the clear CMOS jumper was in
> > normal position. But thanks for the suggestion. That one got me a
> > couple of years ago. =)
>
> Was still worth suggesting! Sometime we automatically assume it is something
> complicated and the obvious things can slip past us!

:::nods::: Oh no, it's cool. I've been doing tech support in one way
or another for about 7 years no, and now and then when I'm not paying
attention I still get thrown by something simply not being plugged in.
=)

Thanks for the replies!
Liam

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

> You put the foam packing into the case? I hope not. Some foams are
> conductive. Yours may or may not be, but it still isn't supposed to be
> installed. It's just for packing protection.

Even if the foam is not conductive, it is not very thick and with a little
pressure when installing the memory / CPU / cards could cause the pins /
'legs' on the back of the motherboard to easily poke through it and make
contact with the metal in the case.

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 07:08:14 -0700, LRW wrote:

> Wow, I had no idea the foam could be conductive!
> My concern was with heat, but never did I ever consider it to be a
> conduction issue.
> So, it's OK to have the board resting resting against the back of the
> case??

No. Your case should have come with standoffs. the most common type are
brass that screw into to MB plate and then the MB screws into them. It
could also have some plastic standoffs that some case manufactures also
use in certain locations so there will be a mix of screwin standoffs, and
plastic standoffs.

> The back panel of the case is flat metal with screw holes. Nothing to
> lift the board up from touching the back of the case. Which is why I
> left the foam on (thinking the foam would NOT be a conductor.)
> The case and board are new; should one of them have come with
> something to lift the board? I can't imagine it though, since the I/O
> section of the board fits perfectly in the cut square in the case. If
> it was lifted any higher it wouldn't fit in there.

Explained above.

> I already RMA'ed the board as DOA since I tested it with only the PSU,
> a known working CPU, vid card, RAM, and PC speaker, and still no POST.
> I guess when the replacement comes I'll be sure to not use the foam.
> =)

And you better use the standoffs too or you may be RMAing another board.
What you really need to do is find someone that knows what they're doing
to help you.:)

Oh, there's also PC assembly guides on the net. Might try tomshardware or
anandtech.com. I think I saw one listed at one or both of the sites. I
haven't looked at them, but they should at least cover the basics. Hmmm...

Results 1 - 10 of about 16,800 for installing standoffs - 0.20 sec.

Smoker

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004

"Big_Jerk" <ric.duncan@verizon.net> wrote in message
> **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****
>
> Could be a cheap power supply not giving the power good signal back to the
> mobo.
---
I agree. It takes 3 watts to spin a fan and almost nothing to make LEDs
light up. Doesn't mean the PSU has enough to get you up and running. The
power supply is the heart of your system and people still want to buy the
cheapest 300W unit they can find, then wonder what happened when they get
problems.

On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 01:16:27 GMT, "Smoker" <nospam@x.y> wrote:

>"Big_Jerk" <ric.duncan@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****
>>
>> Could be a cheap power supply not giving the power good signal back to the
>> mobo.
>---
>I agree. It takes 3 watts to spin a fan and almost nothing to make LEDs
>light up. Doesn't mean the PSU has enough to get you up and running. The
>power supply is the heart of your system and people still want to buy the
>cheapest 300W unit they can find, then wonder what happened when they get
>problems.

Well I had the exact same symptoms with a K7VTA3 board.
It would start spinning the fans, but no POST or video.
Finally bought me a power supply tester and figured out
the power supply was bad (cheap Kyoto).
Replaced power supply and problem solved.

But he may have other problems since he mounted the
foam under the board.

Wes Newell <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.10.08.20.34.35.68486@TAKEOUTverizon.net>...

> No. Your case should have come with standoffs. the most common type are
> brass that screw into to MB plate and then the MB screws into them. It
> could also have some plastic standoffs that some case manufactures also
> use in certain locations so there will be a mix of screwin standoffs, and
> plastic standoffs.

Well, I guess I'll never know if the 1st board was really bad or
not...but by the sounds of it, I'm really doubting it was.

Got the new one, and installed it without the padding and on the brass
stays and guess what! Works like a charm. =)

So, now I know.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone!
Liam

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

Unbelivable
The moron didn't put the standoffs in the case!! And gets all these