Samsung CLP-500 / CLP-550 Memory

Hello:

I'd like to purchase a CLP-550, but would like to be able to get less
expensive 3rd-party memory for it.

Are any current owners successfully using 3rd-party memory (ideally
128M)? If so, who's / what part number?

I'd be grateful if anyone would post some label data off of one stock
Samsung DIMM RAM chips. I'd like to determine what speed of SDRAM
Samsung uses.

The same memory is used in the ML-2151N, and I've read a post where
someone has had functional success with a SimpleTech DIMM, though the
printer thinks the 128M DIMM is 256M. (Which makes me think that all
Samsung has added to their DIMM is some logic high or low strapping of
unused edge-fingers for size ID.)

Regarding the printer, the included duplexer is a big selling point to
me. Is anyone having problems with it?

Thank you very much for any assistance you can offer.

Regards,

Corey J. Motel

On 8 Jun 2004 20:35:28 -0700, cmotel@ameritech.net (Corey J. Motel)
wrote:

>Hello:
>
>I'd like to purchase a CLP-550, but would like to be able to get less
>expensive 3rd-party memory for it.

So would we all. -:) I bought a 2152W about a month ago, and am very
happy with you. Duplexes just great.

>Are any current owners successfully using 3rd-party memory (ideally
>128M)? If so, who's / what part number?
>
>I'd be grateful if anyone would post some label data off of one stock
>Samsung DIMM RAM chips. I'd like to determine what speed of SDRAM
>Samsung uses.
>
>The same memory is used in the ML-2151N, and I've read a post where
>someone has had functional success with a SimpleTech DIMM, though the
>printer thinks the 128M DIMM is 256M. (Which makes me think that all
>Samsung has added to their DIMM is some logic high or low strapping of
>unused edge-fingers for size ID.)

Yes, but this situation raises all kinds of yellow flags.
-can the printer _really_ be upgraded to 256MB? Is there firmware
support? (wow if it's true!!!)
-will the printer get confused and try to address memory above the
128 MB of physical memory, thereby corrupting data

>Regarding the printer, the included duplexer is a big selling point to
>me. Is anyone having problems with it?

Not here. Print quality on my 2152W is excellent. Glad I got this
printer for home office use instead of a Brother.

>Thank you very much for any assistance you can offer.

I'm glad that you are raising this issue. I suspect there are a bunch
of Samsung printer owners on this newsgroup who are keenly interested
in the outcome of this thread.

Corey J. Motel <cmotel@ameritech.net> wrote:
> I'd like to purchase a CLP-550, but would like to be able to get less
> expensive 3rd-party memory for it.
>
> Are any current owners successfully using 3rd-party memory (ideally
> 128M)? If so, who's / what part number?
>
> I'd be grateful if anyone would post some label data off of one stock
> Samsung DIMM RAM chips. I'd like to determine what speed of SDRAM
> Samsung uses.
>
> The same memory is used in the ML-2151N, and I've read a post where
> someone has had functional success with a SimpleTech DIMM, though the
> printer thinks the 128M DIMM is 256M. (Which makes me think that all
> Samsung has added to their DIMM is some logic high or low strapping of
> unused edge-fingers for size ID.)

I, too, am interested in the answer, but I've not yet attempted to
upgrade my 2151N.

> Regarding the printer, the included duplexer is a big selling point to
> me. Is anyone having problems with it?

No problems at all with my 2151N. So far it's a sweet running
machine, other than reporting it was low on toner almost from the get-go
with the starter cartridge.

Scott

On 10 Aug 2004 17:57:48 GMT, NsdoO(at)S.visiP.AcomM wrote:

>Corey J. Motel <cmotel@ameritech.net> wrote:
>> I'd like to purchase a CLP-550, but would like to be able to get less
>> expensive 3rd-party memory for it.
>>
>> Are any current owners successfully using 3rd-party memory (ideally
>> 128M)? If so, who's / what part number?
>>
>> I'd be grateful if anyone would post some label data off of one stock
>> Samsung DIMM RAM chips. I'd like to determine what speed of SDRAM
>> Samsung uses.
>>
>> The same memory is used in the ML-2151N, and I've read a post where
>> someone has had functional success with a SimpleTech DIMM, though the
>> printer thinks the 128M DIMM is 256M. (Which makes me think that all
>> Samsung has added to their DIMM is some logic high or low strapping of
>> unused edge-fingers for size ID.)
>
> I, too, am interested in the answer, but I've not yet attempted to
>upgrade my 2151N.

Second that motion ...

>> Regarding the printer, the included duplexer is a big selling point to
>> me. Is anyone having problems with it?

I've run hundreds of pages through my 2152W (same as 2150 or 51, but
with wireless) with ZERO paper jams. Lots of these prints have been
duplex. Works great.

If anyone can figure out how the paper path works, I would sure like
to know.

> No problems at all with my 2151N. So far it's a sweet running
>machine, other than reporting it was low on toner almost from the get-go
>with the starter cartridge.
>
> Scott

In article <41190c9c$0$65612$a1866201@newsreader.visi.com>, NsdoO(at)
S.visiP.AcomM says...
> Corey J. Motel <cmotel@ameritech.net> wrote:
> > I'd like to purchase a CLP-550, but would like to be able to get less
> > expensive 3rd-party memory for it.
> >
> > Are any current owners successfully using 3rd-party memory (ideally
> > 128M)? If so, who's / what part number?
> >
> > I'd be grateful if anyone would post some label data off of one stock
> > Samsung DIMM RAM chips. I'd like to determine what speed of SDRAM
> > Samsung uses.
> >
> > The same memory is used in the ML-2151N, and I've read a post where
> > someone has had functional success with a SimpleTech DIMM, though the
> > printer thinks the 128M DIMM is 256M. (Which makes me think that all
> > Samsung has added to their DIMM is some logic high or low strapping of
> > unused edge-fingers for size ID.)
>
> I, too, am interested in the answer, but I've not yet attempted to
> upgrade my 2151N.

I have tried the simpletech upgrade.

I have found that the simpletech memory upgrade for the ml-2151n causes
problems. In particular, printer fails to print the Postscript fonts at
1200dpi with the 128MB simpletech memory upgrade that is identified as
256M by the printer. The test prints fine without the expansion memory.

The printer seems to work otherwise with the expansion memory, but I
can't tell any difference in performance.

I contacted Samsung, and they blamed the memory. Simpletech sent me a
new dimm, and it does the same thing. I have given up using the dimm.

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 14:29:28 -0400, Gerald Sullivan
<REMOVEgsull@CAPSbellsouth.net> wrote:

>> Corey J. Motel <cmotel@ameritech.net> wrote:
>> > I'd like to purchase a CLP-550, but would like to be able to get less
>> > expensive 3rd-party memory for it.
>> >
>> > Are any current owners successfully using 3rd-party memory (ideally
>> > 128M)? If so, who's / what part number?
>> >

>> > The same memory is used in the ML-2151N, and I've read a post where
>> > someone has had functional success with a SimpleTech DIMM, though the
>> > printer thinks the 128M DIMM is 256M. (Which makes me think that all
>> > Samsung has added to their DIMM is some logic high or low strapping of
>> > unused edge-fingers for size ID.)

>I have tried the simpletech upgrade.
>
>I have found that the simpletech memory upgrade for the ml-2151n causes
>problems. In particular, printer fails to print the Postscript fonts at
>1200dpi with the 128MB simpletech memory upgrade that is identified as
>256M by the printer. The test prints fine without the expansion memory.

Has anyone else had the same experience with the SimpleTech memory
upgrade? that is, you can't do Postscript fonts at 1200 dpi?

TRENDING THREADS