Transfering Information From 1 Hardrive To Another

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have currently 2 harddrives plugged in my computer, my main one with my
information is in the primary ide controller and the other (totally blank
*brand new*) is in the secondary. I wish to transfer my information from one
harddrive to another. My blank one currently has no jumper in it and the
jumper diagram is such:

.. . . .
.. . . . . (view from frontal)

This is a maxtor 6Y080P0

My WDC WD400BB-71DGA0 HP hardrives diagram is such:

.. . . . .
.. . . .---. (--- Indicates Jumper, view from frontal)

Is there any special program i gotta dl or anything i can do through windows
to make the switch?

I have windows XP pro SP1

bar

What is it that you wish to achieve?

If it is your dsesire to make the new hard drive a clone of the original and
then use it to boot up and then reformat and use the old disk for data, then
you will need to get Norton Ghost.

Maxtor and Seagate have software that does all this for you, I'm not sure
about the Western Digital: check for downloads on the web site.

You will need to reconfigure the new drive [after cloning] to make jumper as
MASTER and place it as Primary IDE controller as Master. The old drive can
be left as Master and placed on the secondary IDE controller or on the
Primary IDE controller as Slave.