Wireless ICS with XP-Home / DIAL UP

Using W2K HOST with Dial Up Wireless networked ( Linksys wireless router ) to
a LAPTOP O/S win XP- Home. Network is no isuue, but the LAPTOP will not ICS
with the HOST. Tried running the Wireless Network Wizzard. Does not see the
Sharred Connection. ( NOTE -If I run the Wired Network Wizzard, it does see
the the ICS connection - BUT I AN NOT USEING HARD WIRED - so this does me no
good)

Suggestions - Help ??
--
Rodney
5 answers Last reply

    Hi

    May be you should explain better the way every thing is connected. If you
    have a Wireless Router (working as a Router) then you do not need ICS.

    On the other hand it is a DialUP (internal modem???).

    So how the Router is connected (WAN Port? Regular port? what IP? DHCP is On
    or Off? Etc.)

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Rodney L. Voumard" <RodneyLVoumard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:91488ABD-FB2F-4CDB-9916-4805950E0B74@microsoft.com...
    > Using W2K HOST with Dial Up Wireless networked ( Linksys wireless router )
    > a LAPTOP O/S win XP- Home. Network is no isuue, but the LAPTOP will not
    ICS
    > with the HOST. Tried running the Wireless Network Wizzard. Does not see
    the
    > Sharred Connection. ( NOTE -If I run the Wired Network Wizzard, it does
    see
    > the the ICS connection - BUT I AN NOT USEING HARD WIRED - so this does me
    no
    > good)
    >
    > Suggestions - Help ??
    > --
    > Rodney

    Thanks for the POST----

    DIAL UP Internal Modem ( my only choice in my area ) in Desktop PC
    Desktop PC connected to ROUTER WAN port w/CAT5E through NIC card
    Laptop PC Connected via Wireless Networking Connection.
    Both PC NIC TCP/IP set to obtain I/P AUTO
    Router set to AUTO DHCP

    Both PC's on the network OK - can Share both printer and files. Desktop PC
    Can Connect to internet, Laptop has been unable to use ICS.
    WIN2K O/S - Desktop
    Win XP-Home O/S Laptop

    The concept seems simple .........but after 3 day's

    THANKS AGAIN

    "Jack" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > May be you should explain better the way every thing is connected. If you
    > have a Wireless Router (working as a Router) then you do not need ICS.
    >
    > On the other hand it is a DialUP (internal modem???).
    >
    > So how the Router is connected (WAN Port? Regular port? what IP? DHCP is On
    > or Off? Etc.)
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "Rodney L. Voumard" <RodneyLVoumard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:91488ABD-FB2F-4CDB-9916-4805950E0B74@microsoft.com...
    > > Using W2K HOST with Dial Up Wireless networked ( Linksys wireless router )
    > > a LAPTOP O/S win XP- Home. Network is no isuue, but the LAPTOP will not
    > ICS
    > > with the HOST. Tried running the Wireless Network Wizzard. Does not see
    > the
    > > Sharred Connection. ( NOTE -If I run the Wired Network Wizzard, it does
    > see
    > > the the ICS connection - BUT I AN NOT USEING HARD WIRED - so this does me
    > no
    > > good)
    > >
    > > Suggestions - Help ??
    > > --
    > > Rodney

    Hi

    ICS can not work with such setting.

    You should connect the Wireless Cable/DSL Router as an Access Point.

    I.E. connect it to the host desktop via a regular port and switch off the
    DHCP.

    More instructions here: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html

    And here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.
    mspx?pf=trueHi

    message news:DABC0D11-7C3F-45FA-BC97-0E36995C654F@microsoft.com...
    > Thanks for the POST----
    >
    > DIAL UP Internal Modem ( my only choice in my area ) in Desktop PC
    > Desktop PC connected to ROUTER WAN port w/CAT5E through NIC card
    > Laptop PC Connected via Wireless Networking Connection.
    > Both PC NIC TCP/IP set to obtain I/P AUTO
    > Router set to AUTO DHCP
    >
    > Both PC's on the network OK - can Share both printer and files. Desktop PC
    > Can Connect to internet, Laptop has been unable to use ICS.
    > WIN2K O/S - Desktop
    > Win XP-Home O/S Laptop
    >
    > The concept seems simple .........but after 3 day's
    >
    > THANKS AGAIN
    >
    > "Jack" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > May be you should explain better the way every thing is connected. If
    you
    > > have a Wireless Router (working as a Router) then you do not need ICS.
    > >
    > > On the other hand it is a DialUP (internal modem???).
    > >
    > > So how the Router is connected (WAN Port? Regular port? what IP? DHCP is
    On
    > > or Off? Etc.)
    > >
    > > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > >

    > > "Rodney L. Voumard" <RodneyLVoumard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > > message news:91488ABD-FB2F-4CDB-9916-4805950E0B74@microsoft.com...
    > > > Using W2K HOST with Dial Up Wireless networked ( Linksys wireless
    router )
    > > > a LAPTOP O/S win XP- Home. Network is no isuue, but the LAPTOP will
    not
    > > ICS
    > > > with the HOST. Tried running the Wireless Network Wizzard. Does not
    see
    > > the
    > > > Sharred Connection. ( NOTE -If I run the Wired Network Wizzard, it
    does
    > > see
    > > > the the ICS connection - BUT I AN NOT USEING HARD WIRED - so this does
    me
    > > no
    > > > good)
    > > >
    > > > Suggestions - Help ??
    > > > --
    > > > Rodney

    Thanks for the help !!

    I will give this a try. As long as I do not lose my file/printer sharing. I
    really don't care if I use a ROUTER or ACESS POINT ( did not now that a
    ROUTER would double as a ACESS POINT...)

    Rodney.

    "Jack" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > ICS can not work with such setting.
    >
    > You should connect the Wireless Cable/DSL Router as an Access Point.
    >
    > I.E. connect it to the host desktop via a regular port and switch off the
    > DHCP.
    >
    > More instructions here: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    >
    > And here:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.
    > mspx?pf=trueHi
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "Rodney L. Voumard" <RodneyLVoumard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > message news:DABC0D11-7C3F-45FA-BC97-0E36995C654F@microsoft.com...
    > > Thanks for the POST----
    > >
    > > DIAL UP Internal Modem ( my only choice in my area ) in Desktop PC
    > > Desktop PC connected to ROUTER WAN port w/CAT5E through NIC card
    > > Laptop PC Connected via Wireless Networking Connection.
    > > Both PC NIC TCP/IP set to obtain I/P AUTO
    > > Router set to AUTO DHCP
    > >
    > > Both PC's on the network OK - can Share both printer and files. Desktop PC
    > > Can Connect to internet, Laptop has been unable to use ICS.
    > > WIN2K O/S - Desktop
    > > Win XP-Home O/S Laptop
    > >
    > > The concept seems simple .........but after 3 day's
    > >
    > > THANKS AGAIN
    > >
    > > "Jack" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi
    > > >
    > > > May be you should explain better the way every thing is connected. If
    > you
    > > > have a Wireless Router (working as a Router) then you do not need ICS.
    > > >
    > > > On the other hand it is a DialUP (internal modem???).
    > > >
    > > > So how the Router is connected (WAN Port? Regular port? what IP? DHCP is
    > On
    > > > or Off? Etc.)
    > > >
    > > > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > > >

    > > > "Rodney L. Voumard" <RodneyLVoumard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > > > message news:91488ABD-FB2F-4CDB-9916-4805950E0B74@microsoft.com...
    > router )
    > not
    > > > ICS
    > see
    > > > the
    > does
    > > > see
    > me
    > > > no

    Let me do a quick reset here-----
    Use a DIAL IP HOST Desktop OS W2W
    Use a Linksys ROUTER to set Network betwwen Desktop and LAPTOP Win XP
    home( wireless network)
    Share INTERNET via ICS with the HOST !!

    I have looked at the links suggested
    QUESTION - Would it not be easier just to replace the ROUTER with an A/P (
    if this would get the two PC's to share the dial-up connection and stay
    networked )

    It's easier for me fly a BOEING that get this working !!!

    Thanks in advance
    Rodney

    "Rodney L. Voumard" wrote:

    > Thanks for the help !!
    >
    > I will give this a try. As long as I do not lose my file/printer sharing. I
    > really don't care if I use a ROUTER or ACESS POINT ( did not now that a
    > ROUTER would double as a ACESS POINT...)
    >
    > Rodney.
    >
    > "Jack" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > ICS can not work with such setting.
    > >
    > > You should connect the Wireless Cable/DSL Router as an Access Point.
    > >
    > > I.E. connect it to the host desktop via a regular port and switch off the
    > > DHCP.
    > >
    > > More instructions here: http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    > >
    > > And here:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.
    > > mspx?pf=trueHi
    > >
    > > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    > >

    > > "Rodney L. Voumard" <RodneyLVoumard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > > message news:DABC0D11-7C3F-45FA-BC97-0E36995C654F@microsoft.com...
    > > > Thanks for the POST----
    > > >
    > > > DIAL UP Internal Modem ( my only choice in my area ) in Desktop PC
    > > > Desktop PC connected to ROUTER WAN port w/CAT5E through NIC card
    > > > Laptop PC Connected via Wireless Networking Connection.
    > > > Both PC NIC TCP/IP set to obtain I/P AUTO
    > > > Router set to AUTO DHCP
    > > >
    > > > Both PC's on the network OK - can Share both printer and files. Desktop PC
    > > > Can Connect to internet, Laptop has been unable to use ICS.
    > > > WIN2K O/S - Desktop
    > > > Win XP-Home O/S Laptop
    > > >
    > > > The concept seems simple .........but after 3 day's
    > > >
    > > > THANKS AGAIN

    > > you

    > > On

    > > router )
    > > not
    > > see
    > > does
    > > me

Wireless Dial Up Connection Windows XP Wireless Networking