K7VTA3 + Athlon XP 2700 No power.

Archived from groups: chip.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

The motherboard will boot for 3 seconds then shutdown. Occasionally
the CPU, thermal grease and heat sink will be too hot to touch once it's
on for 30 seconds and no activity. Power supply is 300W with default
jumper setting set at 100 MHz (CPU frequency.) All hardware are
handled carefully using a grounding strap. Also ran it outside the case
and reset the BOIS. A second attempt to supply power results in no
power at all. Tried a second ATX power supply and nothing. Tried
removing everything except a hard drive, memory and nothing happens.
The front switch works since pushing the button or shorting it will usually
turn it on for 3 seconds. Now nothing will turn on, regardless of the button,
unless it rests for half an hour or so.

I checked the manual and it says to use PC2100/1600 DDR 333/400
MHz. I have PC3200 DDR 400MHz installed since it was selected by
the sales person at Fry's. I will get a new stick of RAM at another
retailer and post the results. Could it likely be something else?

Thanks

Archived from groups: chip.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

RickySpartan@mailandnews.com (Ricky Spartacus) wrote in

> The motherboard will boot for 3 seconds then shutdown. Occasionally
> the CPU, thermal grease and heat sink will be too hot to touch once
> it's on for 30 seconds and no activity. Power supply is 300W with
> default jumper setting set at 100 MHz (CPU frequency.) All hardware
> are handled carefully using a grounding strap. Also ran it outside the
> case and reset the BOIS. A second attempt to supply power results in
> no power at all. Tried a second ATX power supply and nothing. Tried
> removing everything except a hard drive, memory and nothing happens.
> The front switch works since pushing the button or shorting it will
> usually turn it on for 3 seconds. Now nothing will turn on, regardless
> of the button, unless it rests for half an hour or so.
>
> I checked the manual and it says to use PC2100/1600 DDR 333/400
> MHz. I have PC3200 DDR 400MHz installed since it was selected by
> the sales person at Fry's. I will get a new stick of RAM at another
> retailer and post the results. Could it likely be something else?
>
> Thanks

I'm strictly an Intel person but, shouldn't the bus speed for the XP2700
be 166Mhz?

RickySpartan@mailandnews.com (Ricky Spartacus) wrote in message news:<d1e1d73f.0410270450.6b24cd06@posting.google.com>...

> The motherboard will boot for 3 seconds then shutdown.
> Power supply is 300W
> Also ran it outside the case and reset the BOIS. A second
> attempt to supply power results in no power at all. Tried a
> second ATX power supply and nothing.
> The front switch works since pushing the button or shorting
> it will usually turn it on for 3 seconds. Now nothing will
> turn on, regardless of the button, unless it rests for half
> an hour or so.

What are the brands of the power supplies? The K7VTA3 uses +5V for
CPU power (no separate square 4-pin socket, indicating +12V CPU
power), requiring a supply with a +3.3V & +5V combined capacity of at
least 180-200W, and many 300W supplies can't provide this, regardless
of the official rating (truthfulness varies by manufacturer).

If the computer once ran normally, it may have developed a short
between the motherboard and case (check mounting screws and supports),
a loose power connector (unplug and reseat), or bad electrolytic
capacitors (more likely on motherboard, considering that it failed to
start with 2 different supplies).

Archived from groups: chip.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

U¿ytkownik "Ricky Spartacus" has written:
> I checked the manual and it says to use PC2100/1600 DDR 333/400
> MHz. I have PC3200 DDR 400MHz installed since it was selected by
> the sales person at Fry's. I will get a new stick of RAM at another
> retailer and post the results. Could it likely be something else?

It Can be a low speed FAN on CPU, or maybe you have to old BIOS on
Motherboard and it don't properly recognize CPU.

Check CPU in other MoBo, check RAM, chec if You have FAN connected to CPU
FAN connector.
If MoBo have a +12ATX connector You MUST connect there a PowerSuply

At the end check MoBo
Same situation I have on K7VZA when a BIOS was corupted by CIH virus.

Best regards
pastor

Al

Archived from groups: chip.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

On 28 Oct 2004 20:19:54 -0700, do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com
(do_not_spam_me) wrote:

>What are the brands of the power supplies? The K7VTA3 uses +5V for
>CPU power (no separate square 4-pin socket, indicating +12V CPU
>power), requiring a supply with a +3.3V & +5V combined capacity of at
>least 180-200W, and many 300W supplies can't provide this, regardless
>of the official rating (truthfulness varies by manufacturer).
>
>If the computer once ran normally, it may have developed a short
>between the motherboard and case (check mounting screws and supports),
>a loose power connector (unplug and reseat), or bad electrolytic
>capacitors (more likely on motherboard, considering that it failed to
>start with 2 different supplies).

Another thing to note - I have found that the overcurrent protection
on case power supplies trips out very fast. They won't let you see
where the smoke is coming out of your motherboard.

If you have time scan the chip capacitors on the board. If one of them
gets smashed it can cause a short, they are directly across the power
bus.