k7s5a bios forgets + colors!

Hello!

My k7s5a worked perfectly for over 1.5 year, but now I have a problem: a few
days ago, my computer forgot his settings (CMOS wrong...) and he kept
forgetting them.
I think this is the battery (or maybe the motherboard?). I will try to fix
this, but the strange thing was that since that problem occurred, I can only
see 640*480 on 4 bits colors!

Anyone have a suggestion?

Kind regards,

Hasj Pee

"Hasj Pee" <hasjpee*NOSPAM*@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> My k7s5a worked perfectly for over 1.5 year, but now I have a problem: a few
> days ago, my computer forgot his settings (CMOS wrong...) and he kept
> forgetting them.
> I think this is the battery (or maybe the motherboard?). I will try to fix
> this, but the strange thing was that since that problem occurred, I can only
> see 640*480 on 4 bits colors!
>
> Anyone have a suggestion?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Hasj Pee

Get your BIOS settings memorized.
If the motherboard keeps forgeting them, then it may well be the battery (very
cheap and easy to find) or its contacts.
This happens to my K7S5a ver 3.1 multiple times. The battery can cause it, but
the K7S5a is well known for this problem of losing the BIOS settings. It happens
to mine sometimes 2 days in a row and then maybe not again for a month or two or
sometimes a week or two.
It usually only happens on a cold bootup and not on a warm reboot.
There are several 'fixes' out there, but I'm not sure if they actually work.
Perhaps you vid settings in the BIOS got changed. Do you have more than one vid
card in you system?
Or, maybe your monitor is not being recognized properly.
Perhaps your refresh rate changed.

It may be time to update your video drivers anyways.

PS: What OS are you using?

flipper

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2002

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 11:24:06 +0100, "Hasj Pee"
<hasjpee*NOSPAM*@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hello!
>
>My k7s5a worked perfectly for over 1.5 year, but now I have a problem: a few
>days ago, my computer forgot his settings (CMOS wrong...) and he kept
>forgetting them.

Welcome to the wonderful world of ECS and the K7S5A

>I think this is the battery (or maybe the motherboard?).

There's always the chance that the battery is bad and, since it's
cheap, that's a good thing to replace. But the K7S5A also just likes
to occasionally 'forget' it's settings for no good reason. There is no
known fix and ECS doesn't seem to care one whit about it.

> I will try to fix
>this, but the strange thing was that since that problem occurred, I can only
>see 640*480 on 4 bits colors!

You didn't get all the BIOS settings, maybe APIC, back to how it was
when the OS was installed and that's preventing the display card from
operating properly, so windows is defaulting to VGA 'safe' mode

"Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> schreef in bericht

> "Hasj Pee" <hasjpee*NOSPAM*@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hello!
>>
>> My k7s5a worked perfectly for over 1.5 year, but now I have a problem: a
>> few
>> days ago, my computer forgot his settings (CMOS wrong...) and he kept
>> forgetting them.
>> I think this is the battery (or maybe the motherboard?). I will try to
>> fix
>> this, but the strange thing was that since that problem occurred, I can
>> only
>> see 640*480 on 4 bits colors!
>>
>> Anyone have a suggestion?
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Hasj Pee
>
> Get your BIOS settings memorized.
> If the motherboard keeps forgeting them, then it may well be the battery
> (very
> cheap and easy to find) or its contacts.
> This happens to my K7S5a ver 3.1 multiple times. The battery can cause it,
> but
> the K7S5a is well known for this problem of losing the BIOS settings. It
> happens
> to mine sometimes 2 days in a row and then maybe not again for a month or
> two or
> sometimes a week or two.
> It usually only happens on a cold bootup and not on a warm reboot.
> There are several 'fixes' out there, but I'm not sure if they actually
> work.
> Perhaps you vid settings in the BIOS got changed. Do you have more than
> one vid
> card in you system?
> Or, maybe your monitor is not being recognized properly.
> Perhaps your refresh rate changed.
>
> It may be time to update your video drivers anyways.
>
> PS: What OS are you using?

Hello!

I use Windows XP Pro SP-2 with the latest Nvidia Detonator drivers for my
TNT2 AGP (only one card)

Kind regards,

Hasj Pee

"flipper" <flipper@fish.net> schreef in bericht
> On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 11:24:06 +0100, "Hasj Pee"
> <hasjpee*NOSPAM*@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hello!
>>
>>My k7s5a worked perfectly for over 1.5 year, but now I have a problem: a
>>few
>>days ago, my computer forgot his settings (CMOS wrong...) and he kept
>>forgetting them.
>
> Welcome to the wonderful world of ECS and the K7S5A
>
>>I think this is the battery (or maybe the motherboard?).
>
> There's always the chance that the battery is bad and, since it's
> cheap, that's a good thing to replace. But the K7S5A also just likes
> to occasionally 'forget' it's settings for no good reason. There is no
> known fix and ECS doesn't seem to care one whit about it.

I know, I had some boards that did that, but those I have replaced within
warranty period (I make pc's for friends). This one didn't do anything
strange and now he forgets EVERY TIME, so this must be the battery or the
board is entirely screwed ;-)

>> I will try to fix
>>this, but the strange thing was that since that problem occurred, I can
>>only
>>see 640*480 on 4 bits colors!
>
> You didn't get all the BIOS settings, maybe APIC, back to how it was
> when the OS was installed and that's preventing the display card from
> operating properly, so windows is defaulting to VGA 'safe' mode

I hope that is the reason, because otherwise the VGA card will have to be
changed...