848p-a won't boot, won't even post

I just got one of those combo deals at Fry's: 848p-a mobo and a p4
3.2 chip. I'm putting it in a new case with 300W PSU, 512 DDR RAM
from Kingston, and a GeForce 64M AGP graphics card.

The machine powers up (hard drive starts to spin, fan works, keyboard,
mouse and monitor light up), but then the machine just powers down
after about one second. No beeps. No POST.

Thanks for any ideas, tips, or solutions.
CB

cavebutter@gmail.com (Cavebutter) wrote in

> I just got one of those combo deals at Fry's: 848p-a mobo and a p4
> 3.2 chip. I'm putting it in a new case with 300W PSU, 512 DDR RAM
> from Kingston, and a GeForce 64M AGP graphics card.
>
> The machine powers up (hard drive starts to spin, fan works, keyboard,
> mouse and monitor light up), but then the machine just powers down
> after about one second. No beeps. No POST.
>
> Thanks for any ideas, tips, or solutions.
> CB

Suspect the power supply isn't handling the load, the cpu is overheating,
or you have farked the installation. Re-check all your hook ups including
the cpu fan and/or substitute the power supply.

"Cavebutter" <cavebutter@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I just got one of those combo deals at Fry's: 848p-a mobo and a p4
> 3.2 chip. I'm putting it in a new case with 300W PSU, 512 DDR RAM
> from Kingston, and a GeForce 64M AGP graphics card.
>
> The machine powers up (hard drive starts to spin, fan works, keyboard,
> mouse and monitor light up), but then the machine just powers down
> after about one second. No beeps. No POST.
>
> Thanks for any ideas, tips, or solutions.
> CB
First of all since it doesn't beep and start to post then remove everything
connected to the motherboard except the CPU and HSF (heat sink fan)
assembly. Remove the video card, ram, hard drive power and data cables and
the floppy cables and any other devices you have connected to the
motherboard. Just turn it on with just the CPU and HSF running and the case
speaker hooked up to the motherboard. It should give you POST error beeps
since no memory or video card is installed or keyboard or mouse. If it stays
up and running then start adding one item at a time starting with keyboard
and mouse and then the video card so you can see the POST on the display.
Then just keep adding things 1 at a time till it quits, then you will know
where the problem is. Also, I've had bad ram cause a no POST condition and
no error beeps. Make sure the board did not short to the case. Good luck.