PCI Universal Serial Bus Question

I just bought the K7VTA3/Sempron 2500+ combo and installed Win98SE.

In Device Manager, there is a yellow "?" beside PCI Universal Serial
Bus. I've installed 4 in 1 drivers from CD packaged with MB, but
can't eliminate the yellow "?". In Properties, error indicates that
drivers have not been installed for this device.

How do I eliminate this problem?

Another problem, PC runs very well for 20-30 minutes, and then just
cuts off. Is that a Power Supply Problem?

Any suggestions on Power Supplies that are adequate for this MB,
Brandname, wattage, etc?

Is there any way to check CPU temp. without restarting and going into
Bios?
CPU temp. runs between 38C and 41C.

Thanks for any help offered.

EE

Smoker

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004

<laplace@transforms.com> wrote in message
> I just bought the K7VTA3/Sempron 2500+ combo and installed Win98SE.
>
> In Device Manager, there is a yellow "?" beside PCI Universal Serial
> Bus. I've installed 4 in 1 drivers from CD packaged with MB, but
> can't eliminate the yellow "?". In Properties, error indicates that
> drivers have not been installed for this device.
>
> How do I eliminate this problem?
>
> Another problem, PC runs very well for 20-30 minutes, and then just
> cuts off. Is that a Power Supply Problem?
>
> Any suggestions on Power Supplies that are adequate for this MB,
> Brandname, wattage, etc?
>
> Is there any way to check CPU temp. without restarting and going into
> Bios?
> CPU temp. runs between 38C and 41C.

I'm running Win98. I installed a USB 2 card and had the yellow (?) in Device
Manager. Installing USB2-258 by VIA made it go away. I'll never again by a
board that has a VIA chipset because of their 4in1 drivers. Sometimes it's
better to install those individually and maybe you don't need them all so
don't install what you don't need.

Your shutoff problem could be a PSU problem and it could be heat in your
case. Take the side off and if possible blow a desk or small house fan at
the insides. If it still shuts off that isn't the problem and if you can
cold boot without any problem it doesn't seem like a power supply problem.
It could be a conflict between power management in the BIOS and that of
Windows. PM in Win98 is the old version and known to be buggy/problematic at
times, driving people nuts.

The most reliable PSUs are made by Antec and Enermax (aside from the very
expensive PC Power & Cooling brand). If you get either brand in a unit of
400 watts or more they come with more than the minimum specs required for
today's systems. Otherwise you better learn what all that jazz on the PSU
label means.

There are free software apps that will give you your CPU and case temps. One
is called MBM (Motherboard Manager) and I forget the name of the other
popular ones. Your CPU temp is excellent. Over 50 starts getting into the
danger zone.

Thanks for the information.

I replaced the power supply with a JustPC, 425 watt, not a very
expensive brand, but is AMD approved, according to Tiger Direct.
However, the shutdowns continued.

I then replaced both the ECS MB and Sempron with a Chaintech
KT600/Sempron, and the PC has no more shutdowns.

So, I'm not sure what caused the problem, but I'll work on it later.

I have to find a solution to the ECS/Sempron problem because I bought
three of them.

EE

> Thanks for the information.
>
> I replaced the power supply with a JustPC, 425 watt, not a very
> expensive brand, but is AMD approved, according to Tiger Direct.
> However, the shutdowns continued.
>
> I then replaced both the ECS MB and Sempron with a Chaintech
> KT600/Sempron, and the PC has no more shutdowns.
>
> So, I'm not sure what caused the problem, but I'll work on it later.
>
> I have to find a solution to the ECS/Sempron problem because I bought
> three of them.
>
> EE
>
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 05:33:37 GMT, "Smoker" <nospam@x.y> wrote:
>

>><laplace@transforms.com> wrote in message
>>> I just bought the K7VTA3/Sempron 2500+ combo and installed Win98SE.
>>>
>>> In Device Manager, there is a yellow "?" beside PCI Universal Serial
>>> Bus. I've installed 4 in 1 drivers from CD packaged with MB, but
>>> can't eliminate the yellow "?". In Properties, error indicates that
>>> drivers have not been installed for this device.
>>>
>>> How do I eliminate this problem?
>>>
>>> Another problem, PC runs very well for 20-30 minutes, and then just
>>> cuts off. Is that a Power Supply Problem?
>>>
>>> Any suggestions on Power Supplies that are adequate for this MB,
>>> Brandname, wattage, etc?
>>>
>>> Is there any way to check CPU temp. without restarting and going
>>> into Bios?
>>> CPU temp. runs between 38C and 41C.
>>>
>>I'm running Win98. I installed a USB 2 card and had the yellow (?) in
>>Device Manager. Installing USB2-258 by VIA made it go away. I'll never
>>again by a board that has a VIA chipset because of their 4in1 drivers.
>>Sometimes it's better to install those individually and maybe you
>>don't need them all so don't install what you don't need.
>>
>>Your shutoff problem could be a PSU problem and it could be heat in
>>your case. Take the side off and if possible blow a desk or small
>>house fan at the insides. If it still shuts off that isn't the problem
>>and if you can cold boot without any problem it doesn't seem like a
>>power supply problem. It could be a conflict between power management
>>in the BIOS and that of Windows. PM in Win98 is the old version and
>>known to be buggy/problematic at times, driving people nuts.
>>
>>The most reliable PSUs are made by Antec and Enermax (aside from the
>>very expensive PC Power & Cooling brand). If you get either brand in a
>>unit of 400 watts or more they come with more than the minimum specs
>>required for today's systems. Otherwise you better learn what all that
>>jazz on the PSU label means.
>>
>>There are free software apps that will give you your CPU and case
>>temps. One is called MBM (Motherboard Manager) and I forget the name
>>of the other popular ones. Your CPU temp is excellent. Over 50 starts
>>getting into the danger zone.

PM800 series motherboard? Check for a BIOS flash update.

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004 04:18:31 GMT, laplace@transforms.com wrote:

>Thanks for the information.
>
>I replaced the power supply with a JustPC, 425 watt, not a very
>expensive brand, but is AMD approved, according to Tiger Direct.
>However, the shutdowns continued.
>
>I then replaced both the ECS MB and Sempron with a Chaintech
>KT600/Sempron, and the PC has no more shutdowns.
>
>So, I'm not sure what caused the problem, but I'll work on it later.
>
>I have to find a solution to the ECS/Sempron problem because I bought
>three of them.

Are you saying that all 3 of your K7VTA3 / Sempron boards reboot/shutdown
after 30 minutes?
I've bought several of these board combos (Fry's specials). First one worked
great. Second one would reboot after 30 minutes. I tried another power
supply and it didn't help. I was using Windows 2000 Pro and in my event
log noticed a bunch of CDROM errors. I unplugged the CDROM and
the problem went away. I just replaced the CDROM with another and
haven't had the problem since. Rock stable.