Hello,

here is a quick description of my system

Motherboard: ECS K7S5A Pro
Processor: AMD 2400+
Memory : 1 DDR 512Mb Infineon (Model number : HYB25D256800BT-6)
Hard Disk: Western Digital 80Gb (2 partition C= 55Gb D= 25 Gb
OS: WinXp installed as upgrade over Win98

I recently bought a new DDR Memory stick of 512 Mb Infineon (Model number:
HYB25D256800BT-7)
*** Notice that last digit of model number is not the same ***

But the new stick is not working on my system, when i installed it (tested
it alone and with the other stick), my computer keep rebooting at WinXp
Logo, it rebooted again and again and again.... once i have been able to go
in Windows and work for 2 hours until it reboot again.

Is this an incompatibility between the motherboard and the memory or is it
possible that the problem is my WinXp that i should reinstall ??

Any hint appreciate.

Thank

"Martin Falardeau" <martin.falardeau@sympatico.ca> wrote in

> HYB25D256800BT-7

That's an ECC memory module. Some m/b's can't handle them. Check your
manual.

No it's not an ECC memory module since it have 8 chips on each side. From
what i know, ECC module have a number of chip that can be divided by 3 or 5,
right?

"Thagor" <thagor@email.coma> wrote in message
> "Martin Falardeau" <martin.falardeau@sympatico.ca> wrote in
>
>> HYB25D256800BT-7
>
> That's an ECC memory module. Some m/b's can't handle them. Check your
> manual.

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:58:12 -0500, "Martin Falardeau"
<martin.falardeau@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>No it's not an ECC memory module since it have 8 chips on each side. From
>what i know, ECC module have a number of chip that can be divided by 3 or 5,
>right?

WRONG!

If it's wrong,
why you not telling how to know if memory module is ECC or not instead of
just saying wrong ???

> If it's wrong,
> why you not telling how to know if memory module is ECC or not instead
> of just saying wrong ???
>
> "PJx" <dingo@privacy.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:58:12 -0500, "Martin Falardeau"
>> <martin.falardeau@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>>
>>>No it's not an ECC memory module since it have 8 chips on each side.
>>>From what i know, ECC module have a number of chip that can be
>>>divided by 3 or 5,
>>>right?
>>
>> WRONG!

This used to be the rule of thumb but it's getting real difficult to
determine the memory chips from control chips. Easily confused.

You can determine if your system has parity by simply counting the number
of black memory chips on each module. Parity (and ECC) memory modules
have a chip count divisible by three or five. Any chip count not
divisible by three or five indicates a non-parity memory module.

Anyway, a more correct statement would have been that if you are mixing
parity with non parity, buffered with unbuffered, SPD with non-SPD you
would surely be causing system farkes. You could try to vary the memory
settings in BIOS to see if you can get the newer module to work alone.
From there see if you can work the older module in. Remember also that
you need to remove power from an ATX powered system to change the RAM.
Not doing so could render damage to the RAM or mainboard.

TRENDING THREADS