What is Universal PCI

I bought an adaptec sata raid card:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=AAR-2810SA&cat=%2fTechnology%2fRAID%2fSerial+ATA+RAID

and have an elitegroup motherboard:

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?DetailID=423&MenuID=22&LanID=0

The problem is that I'm not too familiar with PCI slots and although
the card can fit in to the PCI slots, the card has an extra length of
connectors that extend past the PCI slot are would be just dangling
there out in the open. Does this card take a special PCI slot that
this motherboard does not have? The card requires PCI 2.2 compliant
and the motherboard has that but I don't know about the Universal PCI
and thought it might have something to do with the extra connectors.

Thanks in advance.

tommy wrote:
> I bought an adaptec sata raid card:
>
> http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=AAR-2810SA&cat=%2fTechnology%2fRAID%2fSerial+ATA+RAID
>
> and have an elitegroup motherboard:
>
> http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?DetailID=423&MenuID=22&LanID=0
>
> The problem is that I'm not too familiar with PCI slots and although
> the card can fit in to the PCI slots, the card has an extra length of
> connectors that extend past the PCI slot are would be just dangling
> there out in the open. Does this card take a special PCI slot that
> this motherboard does not have? The card requires PCI 2.2 compliant
> and the motherboard has that but I don't know about the Universal PCI
> and thought it might have something to do with the extra connectors.
>
> Thanks in advance.

It's a 64-bit PCI card, and your motherboard only has 32-bit PCI slots.
It will still work, it just won't have as high bus transfer throughput
as it could.

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada