computer powers off/on

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

PLEASE HELP!!! I just recently installed new
motherboard/etc and now when i log onto the internet,
within a few seconds or a few minutes, my computer will
just power itself off and right back on or it just
freezes. i tried two different modems but had same issue.
what is going on??? please email with any help!!! THANK
YOU

kyle

wow brushes u sure kno alot but in this case i doubt thats the problem... i
had the same problem as jason. it froze while i was doin somethin or
automatically restarted for no reason. i bought a surge adapter and set up my
computer to use uninterruptible power supply. make sure it is enabled in
services in administrative tools. then go to power options then select ups.
then click select. select whoever u want as manufactuer and whoever u want as
model i used american power conversion as manufacturer adn model: basic port
on communications accesory. if it doesnt work then im sry i couldnt be of any
help.

"jason" <dragoninstincts@aol.com> wrote in message
> PLEASE HELP!!! I just recently installed new
> motherboard/etc and now when i log onto the internet,
> within a few seconds or a few minutes, my computer will
> just power itself off and right back on or it just
> freezes. i tried two different modems but had same issue.
> what is going on??? please email with any help!!! THANK
> YOU

more information needed. presume system runs ok when not connected?

are you on dial up, if so check the network protocols being used for the
connection. Should be tcp/ip only. Other protocols will cause disconnection
but not necessarily of the system. When you installed new motherboard did
you re-install your operating system or wipe all old mobo drivers?

"brushes" wrote:

> "jason" <dragoninstincts@aol.com> wrote in message
> > PLEASE HELP!!! I just recently installed new
> > motherboard/etc and now when i log onto the internet,
> > within a few seconds or a few minutes, my computer will
> > just power itself off and right back on or it just
> > freezes. i tried two different modems but had same issue.
> > what is going on??? please email with any help!!! THANK
> > YOU
>
> more information needed. presume system runs ok when not connected?
>
> are you on dial up, if so check the network protocols being used for the
> connection. Should be tcp/ip only. Other protocols will cause disconnection
> but not necessarily of the system. When you installed new motherboard did
> you re-install your operating system or wipe all old mobo drivers?

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Changing the MBD implies that the BIOS and chip set were changed. It's a
wonder that this is your only problem. An XP repair install may be the least
pain way out.
"jason" <dragoninstincts@aol.com> wrote in message
> PLEASE HELP!!! I just recently installed new
> motherboard/etc and now when i log onto the internet,
> within a few seconds or a few minutes, my computer will
> just power itself off and right back on or it just
> freezes. i tried two different modems but had same issue.
> what is going on??? please email with any help!!! THANK
> YOU

---
Outgoing mail is AVG certified Virus Free.

"jason" <dragoninstincts@aol.com> wrote in message news:<36b301c4a8cb$c9313810$a601280a@phx.gbl>...
> PLEASE HELP!!! I just recently installed new
> motherboard/etc and now when i log onto the internet,
> within a few seconds or a few minutes, my computer will
> just power itself off and right back on or it just
> freezes. i tried two different modems but had same issue.
> what is going on??? please email with any help!!! THANK
> YOU

I had a similar problem earlier this year, that was caused by a virus.
Blaster, I think it was. Whenever I logged on to the internet, after a
short time, I forget how long, the computer rebooted itself. It only
happened online.

TRENDING THREADS