Can't access external Western Digital Hard Drive

My computer is a HP Pavilion 7905, running Windows XP
Home Edition. I recently installed a new Western Digital
external hard drive,(USB, 160 GB), (Model: WD1600B008-
RNN. After using stand-by or hibernate, I am unable to
access individual files on that drive. I have tried
everything I know to do to no avail. I have installed and
reinstalled the XP Service Pack 2 and that didn't help.
Can you solve the problem for me?
I can get the files back by restarting my computer but
that's a real bummer.
Bob Gardner
1 answer Last reply
More about access external western digital hard drive

    well the only ways i kno of fixin a problem like that would be to go to
    device manager and update that specific hard drive or scan for hardware
    changes if if doesnt appear or to simply use otha methods of savin power
    besides standby or hibernation.

    "Bob" wrote:

    > My computer is a HP Pavilion 7905, running Windows XP
    > Home Edition. I recently installed a new Western Digital
    > external hard drive,(USB, 160 GB), (Model: WD1600B008-
    > RNN. After using stand-by or hibernate, I am unable to
    > access individual files on that drive. I have tried
    > everything I know to do to no avail. I have installed and
    > reinstalled the XP Service Pack 2 and that didn't help.
    > Can you solve the problem for me?
    > I can get the files back by restarting my computer but
    > that's a real bummer.
    > Bob Gardner

Western Digital Windows XP