I can't hear sound thru my speakers/headset!

I have a problem...when i start up windows xp i hear sound and everything
works. But there is a clicking noise in the backround. I have speakers and
headset and it does the same for both. after a couple of minutes the sound
completely goes. i run a sound test to test if it was the speakers or the
headset that was the problem and it turned out that they worked perfectly
well. so i kno its a problem with the cpu. probably with the sound input or
one of the devices in device manager. can any1 instruct me on how to fix this
problem? o yeh ive tried cleaning it out with a cotton swab if that helps any.
3 answers Last reply
More about hear sound speakers headset

    Using that cotton swab was probably not the best idea as that can leave
    cotton in there or even cause static electricity that will really mess
    up the sound card. You most likely need to update the sound card
    drivers. Use Everest Home from www.lavalys.com to find out what sound
    card you have and it should even provide a link to the proper drivers ;)

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    Kyle wrote:
    > I have a problem...when i start up windows xp i hear sound and everything
    > works. But there is a clicking noise in the backround. I have speakers and
    > headset and it does the same for both. after a couple of minutes the sound
    > completely goes. i run a sound test to test if it was the speakers or the
    > headset that was the problem and it turned out that they worked perfectly
    > well. so i kno its a problem with the cpu. probably with the sound input or
    > one of the devices in device manager. can any1 instruct me on how to fix this
    > problem? o yeh ive tried cleaning it out with a cotton swab if that helps any.

    nvmd it was just a virus =) i used HijackThis to remove

    "Kyle" wrote:

    > I have a problem...when i start up windows xp i hear sound and everything
    > works. But there is a clicking noise in the backround. I have speakers and
    > headset and it does the same for both. after a couple of minutes the sound
    > completely goes. i run a sound test to test if it was the speakers or the
    > headset that was the problem and it turned out that they worked perfectly
    > well. so i kno its a problem with the cpu. probably with the sound input or
    > one of the devices in device manager. can any1 instruct me on how to fix this
    > problem? o yeh ive tried cleaning it out with a cotton swab if that helps any.

    What virus was it? That sounds like a very interesting virus :)

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    Kyle wrote:
    > nvmd it was just a virus =) i used HijackThis to remove
    >
    > "Kyle" wrote:
    >

    >>I have a problem...when i start up windows xp i hear sound and everything
    >>works. But there is a clicking noise in the backround. I have speakers and
    >>headset and it does the same for both. after a couple of minutes the sound
    >>completely goes. i run a sound test to test if it was the speakers or the
    >>headset that was the problem and it turned out that they worked perfectly
    >>well. so i kno its a problem with the cpu. probably with the sound input or
    >>one of the devices in device manager. can any1 instruct me on how to fix this
    >>problem? o yeh ive tried cleaning it out with a cotton swab if that helps any.

Gaming Headsets Speakers Windows XP