PC133 memory question

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi can anyone tell me what kind of PC133 memory the K7S5A Pro takes? I
have one a friend gave me that needs memory. Does this chipset want
low density or high density PC133 DIMMs? Anyone know?

I want to put some 512MB PC133 DIMMs in this board but don't know what
to buy. From what I can find about this board it only takes 1GB of DDR
or SDRAM. Not looking for anything super fast, this will just be for a
machine doing web surfing & word processing. I think DDR is probably
overkill for the processor I have, an Athlon XP 2000+. Any info anyone
can offer about what kind of PC133 memory works in these boards will
be appreciated!

Tom

Help is here http://p199.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum

Memory types
The board officially supports two PC100/133 SDRAM modules or two PC1600/2100
DDR SDRAM modules. You should generally use memory sticks with a named brand
and stay away from ultra-cheap noname modules.

Some boards seem to have stability problems using two PC133 sticks at the
same time, so if you experience stability problems, use only one stick of
PC133 or use DDR memory while troubleshooting. Boards with 2xPC133 issues
normally have no problems running 2xDDR.

If you are buying new DDR memory, consider getting PC2700 or PC3200 memory
instead of PC2100. The faster memory will work on the K7S5A (at for example
PC2100 speed), and it work in your next computer too. Newer CPUs and boards
will need memory capable of running at least 166MHz (the speed of PC2700).
Going PC2700 or PC3200 is also a good idea if you consider overclocking the
board. More on this later.

Here is a little chart comparing the new 'PC rating' system, to the 'DDR
rating', to the actual maximum MHz that the memory is rated to run at....

PC# vs. DDR vs. MHz

PC1600 DDR200 100Mhz
PC2100 DDR266 133Mhz
PC2700 DDR333 166Mhz
PC3200 DDR400 200Mhz
PC3500 DDR433 216Mhz
PC3700 DDR466 233Mhz
PC4000 DDR500 250Mhz
PC4200 DDR533 266Mhz
Note that the 'DDR rating' is always exactly double the MHz that it is
designed to run at.
This is because DDR is able to read info or 'data' on BOTH the rising and
falling edge of a pulse... hence the Double Data Rate (or DDR for short)...
but DDR266 is still only running at 133 MHz

"Tom" <Tom@spamfree.org> wrote in message
> Hi can anyone tell me what kind of PC133 memory the K7S5A Pro takes? I
> have one a friend gave me that needs memory. Does this chipset want
> low density or high density PC133 DIMMs? Anyone know?
>
> I want to put some 512MB PC133 DIMMs in this board but don't know what
> to buy. From what I can find about this board it only takes 1GB of DDR
> or SDRAM. Not looking for anything super fast, this will just be for a
> machine doing web surfing & word processing. I think DDR is probably
> overkill for the processor I have, an Athlon XP 2000+. Any info anyone
> can offer about what kind of PC133 memory works in these boards will
> be appreciated!
>
> Tom

"Tom" <Tom@spamfree.org> wrote in message
> Hi can anyone tell me what kind of PC133 memory the K7S5A Pro takes? I
> have one a friend gave me that needs memory. Does this chipset want
> low density or high density PC133 DIMMs? Anyone know?
>
> I want to put some 512MB PC133 DIMMs in this board but don't know what
> to buy. From what I can find about this board it only takes 1GB of DDR
> or SDRAM. Not looking for anything super fast, this will just be for a
> machine doing web surfing & word processing. I think DDR is probably
> overkill for the processor I have, an Athlon XP 2000+. Any info anyone
> can offer about what kind of PC133 memory works in these boards will
> be appreciated!
>
> Tom

"From what I can find about this board it only takes 1GB of DDR
or SDRAM. Not looking for anything super fast, this will just be for a
machine doing web surfing & word processing."

Seriously now, why would anyone want more ram just to web surf and use word
processing?
Especially when you state "this board it only takes 1GB of DDR".
"I think DDR is probably overkill for the processor I have, an Athlon XP 2000+"
Com'on, who are you trying to impress with your lack of knowledge?

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 05:09:55 GMT, "Buffalo"
<eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:

>"Tom" <Tom@spamfree.org> wrote in message
>> Hi can anyone tell me what kind of PC133 memory the K7S5A Pro takes? I
>> have one a friend gave me that needs memory. Does this chipset want
>> low density or high density PC133 DIMMs? Anyone know?
>>
>> I want to put some 512MB PC133 DIMMs in this board but don't know what
>> to buy. From what I can find about this board it only takes 1GB of DDR
>> or SDRAM. Not looking for anything super fast, this will just be for a
>> machine doing web surfing & word processing. I think DDR is probably
>> overkill for the processor I have, an Athlon XP 2000+. Any info anyone
>> can offer about what kind of PC133 memory works in these boards will
>> be appreciated!
>>
>> Tom
>
>"From what I can find about this board it only takes 1GB of DDR
>or SDRAM. Not looking for anything super fast, this will just be for a
>machine doing web surfing & word processing."
>
>Seriously now, why would anyone want more ram just to web surf and use word
>processing?
>Especially when you state "this board it only takes 1GB of DDR".
>"I think DDR is probably overkill for the processor I have, an Athlon XP 2000+"
>Com'on, who are you trying to impress with your lack of knowledge?

You are way too suspicious for your own good. Too much time on your
hands maybe?

I like systems that have lots of memory, especially when running
Windows on them. I have found over time that the more memory you put
in a machine that runs Windows the better & faster it runs. We are
going to try running a DVD player in this box & I do know that likes
extra memory too.

If you think I can get away with running Windows XP with Office XP,
IE6 & all of Microsoft's memory hogging software with 512MB of PC133 &
be able to run a DVD player, I'm all in favor of it. I'll give it a
try. I just want to build a system with this thing that is pretty fast
& stable & has decent power for this 2000 XP chip without having to
run that hotter DDR memory is the goal.

I do have background working on computers years ago but haven't worked
in that field for many years now. A friend gave me this old board as a
gift without CPU or memory or instructions & tells me it worked in a
system he pulled it from & I'm just trying to get this thing running
on the cheap as it were, nothing more, nothing less.

But hey, thanks for the suggestions on what kinds of PC133 memory to
purchase for it, whether high density or low density, or whether that
even matters, that & the suspicious BS you tossed at me, that really
helped me out!

Tom

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Tom wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 05:09:55 GMT, "Buffalo"
> <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:
>

>>"Tom" <Tom@spamfree.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>Hi can anyone tell me what kind of PC133 memory the K7S5A Pro takes? I
>>>have one a friend gave me that needs memory. Does this chipset want
>>>low density or high density PC133 DIMMs? Anyone know?
>>>
>>>I want to put some 512MB PC133 DIMMs in this board but don't know what
>>>to buy. From what I can find about this board it only takes 1GB of DDR
>>>or SDRAM. Not looking for anything super fast, this will just be for a
>>>machine doing web surfing & word processing. I think DDR is probably
>>>overkill for the processor I have, an Athlon XP 2000+. Any info anyone
>>>can offer about what kind of PC133 memory works in these boards will
>>>be appreciated!
>>>
>>>Tom
>>
>>"From what I can find about this board it only takes 1GB of DDR
>>or SDRAM. Not looking for anything super fast, this will just be for a
>>machine doing web surfing & word processing."
>>
>>Seriously now, why would anyone want more ram just to web surf and use word
>>processing?
>>Especially when you state "this board it only takes 1GB of DDR".
>>"I think DDR is probably overkill for the processor I have, an Athlon XP 2000+"
>>Com'on, who are you trying to impress with your lack of knowledge?
>

> You are way too suspicious for your own good. Too much time on your
> hands maybe?
>
> I like systems that have lots of memory, especially when running
> Windows on them. I have found over time that the more memory you put
> in a machine that runs Windows the better & faster it runs. We are
> going to try running a DVD player in this box & I do know that likes
> extra memory too.
>
> If you think I can get away with running Windows XP with Office XP,
> IE6 & all of Microsoft's memory hogging software with 512MB of PC133 &
> be able to run a DVD player, I'm all in favor of it. I'll give it a
> try. I just want to build a system with this thing that is pretty fast
> & stable & has decent power for this 2000 XP chip without having to
> run that hotter DDR memory is the goal.
>
> I do have background working on computers years ago but haven't worked
> in that field for many years now. A friend gave me this old board as a
> gift without CPU or memory or instructions & tells me it worked in a
> system he pulled it from & I'm just trying to get this thing running
> on the cheap as it were, nothing more, nothing less.
>
> But hey, thanks for the suggestions on what kinds of PC133 memory to
> purchase for it, whether high density or low density, or whether that
> even matters, that & the suspicious BS you tossed at me, that really
> helped me out!
>
> Tom

For what it is worth, I have this board and have used a single stick of
256MB PC133 RAM from K-Byte and the machine ran fine for Windows XP or
lesser operating systems. My RAM is high density, but I am sure either
density will work fine. Presently I have two DDR 2700 256MB sticks in
the machine since I felt the extra cushion assured success at its rated
capabilities as well as making it useful for other MBs in the future.
My processor is a Athlon 2200+ for what it is worth.

> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 05:09:55 GMT, "Buffalo"
> <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:
>

> >"Tom" <Tom@spamfree.org> wrote in message
> >> Hi can anyone tell me what kind of PC133 memory the K7S5A Pro takes? I
> >> have one a friend gave me that needs memory. Does this chipset want
> >> low density or high density PC133 DIMMs? Anyone know?
> >>
> >> I want to put some 512MB PC133 DIMMs in this board but don't know what
> >> to buy. From what I can find about this board it only takes 1GB of DDR
> >> or SDRAM. Not looking for anything super fast, this will just be for a
> >> machine doing web surfing & word processing. I think DDR is probably
> >> overkill for the processor I have, an Athlon XP 2000+. Any info anyone
> >> can offer about what kind of PC133 memory works in these boards will
> >> be appreciated!
> >>
> >> Tom
> >
> >"From what I can find about this board it only takes 1GB of DDR
> >or SDRAM. Not looking for anything super fast, this will just be for a
> >machine doing web surfing & word processing."
> >
> >Seriously now, why would anyone want more ram just to web surf and use word
> >processing?
> >Especially when you state "this board it only takes 1GB of DDR".
> >"I think DDR is probably overkill for the processor I have, an Athlon XP
2000+"
> >Com'on, who are you trying to impress with your lack of knowledge?
>
> You are way too suspicious for your own good. Too much time on your
> hands maybe?
>
> I like systems that have lots of memory, especially when running
> Windows on them. I have found over time that the more memory you put
> in a machine that runs Windows the better & faster it runs. We are
> going to try running a DVD player in this box & I do know that likes
> extra memory too.
>
> If you think I can get away with running Windows XP with Office XP,
> IE6 & all of Microsoft's memory hogging software with 512MB of PC133 &
> be able to run a DVD player, I'm all in favor of it. I'll give it a
> try. I just want to build a system with this thing that is pretty fast
> & stable & has decent power for this 2000 XP chip without having to
> run that hotter DDR memory is the goal.
>
> I do have background working on computers years ago but haven't worked
> in that field for many years now. A friend gave me this old board as a
> gift without CPU or memory or instructions & tells me it worked in a
> system he pulled it from & I'm just trying to get this thing running
> on the cheap as it were, nothing more, nothing less.
>
> But hey, thanks for the suggestions on what kinds of PC133 memory to
> purchase for it, whether high density or low density, or whether that
> even matters, that & the suspicious BS you tossed at me, that really
> helped me out!
>
> Tom

As you stated:

"Not looking for anything super fast, this will just be for a
machine doing web surfing & word processing. I think DDR is probably
overkill for the processor I have, an Athlon XP 2000+."

You don't need much ram for that.(web surfing & word processing)

However, high density PC-133 (cheaper) ram is 'supposed' to work with the SiS
735 chipset.
Low density is preferred, esp when installing two sticks.
If you use two sticks of PC-133 I would recommend you use the HoneyX BIOS and
set the speed to 138/138 which seems to help with a stability issue that board
sometimes has while using two stick of SDram.
Two sticks of DDR seem to be more stable than two sticks of SDram from what I've
heard.
I use two sticks of unmatched SDram (PC133 and PC100 running at 138MHz) without
problems, however.

The K7S5A is generally very friendly to the different types of memory out
there, especially if you have the latest bios updates. The only issue
some of the boards have is they only like 1 stick of pc133, and not 2, I
am sure that some brands would work great, but it is an issue to consider.
This boeard seems to have no problem with pairs of DDR though. Oh yeah,
this board also takes DDR memory, which tend to be cheaper, and faster
than PC133.

Tom (Tom@spamfree.org) wrote:
: Hi can anyone tell me what kind of PC133 memory the K7S5A Pro takes? I
: have one a friend gave me that needs memory. Does this chipset want
: low density or high density PC133 DIMMs? Anyone know?

: I want to put some 512MB PC133 DIMMs in this board but don't know what
: to buy. From what I can find about this board it only takes 1GB of DDR
: or SDRAM. Not looking for anything super fast, this will just be for a
: machine doing web surfing & word processing. I think DDR is probably
: overkill for the processor I have, an Athlon XP 2000+. Any info anyone
: can offer about what kind of PC133 memory works in these boards will
: be appreciated!

: Tom

> From what I can find about this board it only takes 1GB of DDR
> or SDRAM. Not looking for anything super fast, this will just be for a
> machine doing web surfing & word processing. I think DDR is probably
> overkill for the processor I have, an Athlon XP 2000+. Any info anyone
> can offer about what kind of PC133 memory works in these boards will
> be appreciated!

The K7S5A Pro can have stability issues with two sticks of PC133 RAM
installed. If you want to add 1GB of RAM it would probably be cheaper
(and more likely to work) for you to use DDR. DDR isn't overkill for
any processor, in fact, the processor itself is "DDR", because the
front side bus is double-pumped from 133mHz to 266mHz. As far as I
can tell, DDR has made no difference in terms of heat or power
consumption, but I did notice a significant increase in speed when
upgrading from PC133 to DDR400 (which is running at DDR266 speeds).
1GB will be plenty of RAM for you to multi-task between web surfing,
office applications, and any other light work, while watching a DVD at
the same time. I am using one 512MB module of PNY Optima DDR400, and
my system has been fast and stable for several months of heavy gaming,
and even some mild overclocking.
Hope that helps,
-Hukuis