What is Texture memory? PLEASE HELP!

When i was playing Doom 3 I set it to Ultra quality and it warned me it was
going to use 500 megabytes of Texture memory. Can someone PLEASE PLEASE
PLEASE tell me what this is.

It means that your hardware is not sufficient to run the higher quality.

Bobby

"behemoth100" <behemoth100@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When i was playing Doom 3 I set it to Ultra quality and it warned me it
> was
> going to use 500 megabytes of Texture memory. Can someone PLEASE PLEASE
> PLEASE tell me what this is.

Doom 3 is telling you it will require a large amount of
memory (video card mem, ram, or virtural memory) to
display the better quality graphics (walls, monsters,
etc). If you don't have a top of the line video card, a
lot of ram, and fast CPU, don't use ultra quality. You
machine will likely pause a lot loading more texture
memory from virtual memory (harddrive). Use high quality
graphics in Doom 3. The performance hit you get at ultra
quality is not work the choppy game play. Give it a try
if you don't believe me.

"NoNoBadDog!" <mypants_bjsledgeATpixi.com> wrote in message
> It means that your hardware is not sufficient to run the higher quality.
>
> Bobby

Not necessarily true.

He didn't say that the game would not run, merely that it
gave him a warning that he did not understand and that he
perhaps aborted out without trying to see if
it would.

Texture memory is a "special" region of your main memory
that is set aside exclusively for use by AGP video cards. As the
name implies, is holds "textures", which are renderings of complex
surfaces in gaming environments. The memory on the AGP vidcard
itself is usually not sufficient to hold all this data, hence the warning
about
overflowing into your main memory.

If you don't have enough main memory (RAM) available, the warning
message could be triggered, or, the game writers just may be
considerately trying to inform you of what's gonna happen-
the game may still run anyway.

Did you try it?

> "behemoth100" <behemoth100@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When i was playing Doom 3 I set it to Ultra quality and it warned me it
> > was
> > going to use 500 megabytes of Texture memory. Can someone PLEASE PLEASE
> > PLEASE tell me what this is.

When the game has a scene, ultra quality means that every
crack in a stone, hair on a face, all the little details in
a picture will be drawn, for this to run faster than 8-20
fps, you need the fastest CPU, the fastest graphics card
with the maximum available memory (not sure if there are any
512 MB graphics cards available yet, 256 is biggest I known
about) a GB of RAM that is very fast RAM.

Use Ultra for watching the girls beach volleyball, slow
motion is just fine for girl watching.

wrote in message
| > When i was playing Doom 3 I set it to Ultra quality and
it warned me it
| > was
| > going to use 500 megabytes of Texture memory. Can
someone PLEASE PLEASE
| > PLEASE tell me what this is.

"behemoth100" <behemoth100@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When i was playing Doom 3 I set it to Ultra quality and it warned me it
was
> going to use 500 megabytes of Texture memory. Can someone PLEASE PLEASE
> PLEASE tell me what this is.

It has little bumps on it.

"behemoth100" <behemoth100@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When i was playing Doom 3 I set it to Ultra quality and it warned me
> it was
> going to use 500 megabytes of Texture memory. Can someone PLEASE
> PLEASE
> PLEASE tell me what this is.

Basically what you need to run doom 3 with ultra settings is a
graphics card with 256MB (or 512MB if you can find one) preferably a
geforce 6 series or radeon X series and at least 768MB of system RAM
with your AGP aperture set to 256MB in BIOS.

Doom 3 with ultra settings requires around 512MB of texture memory
this means you need either 512MB on the graphics card (which is hard
to do as there aren't many cards with that much on them) or 256MB on
the card and the AGP aperture set in your BIOS to 256MB so the card
can use 256MB of your system RAM along with it's own 256MB to make up
the required 512MB. You then need an additional 512MB of system RAM
(768MB total - minimum) for Doom 3's other uses like it's physics
calculations and monster A.I. etc

I have a 3.2GHz Pentium 4 Extreme Edition with 1 GB RAM and a Geforce
6800 Ultra graphics card with 256MB RAM and I can play Doom 3 with
Ultra settings without any errors or warnings.

My friend has a similar system but with only 512MB of system RAM and a
128MB graphics card and he gets the same warning as you did.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

so for those that have a 6600gt 128mb on card and 512mb of ram can play
doom 3 on ultra settings if we increase the phisical memory to 1 gig ,
and have done what youve mentioned, with your AGP aperture set to 256MB
in BIOS.

206's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=6675
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=7429
Visit - http://forums.techarena.in/archive/index.php/ | http://www.techarena.in