Ethernet Port causes restart when I connect to DSL

Every time I try to connect my DSL modem via the ethernet port the
computer automatically restarts when it reaches the point where users
are asked to log on to their Win XP account. The USB port works fine
but I suspect that the ethernet port is a lot faster.

I've mucked around with various network settings and have come to the
conclusion that this is a power management problem. I've occasionally
got the LAN to work when adjusting the parameters within this but not
consistently and if it does run, it won't the next time I boot up.

Does anybody have any idea as to what the problem could be and what I
could do about it? Do I need to have a network address (and where do I
find it)?

I've experimented with different cables and ways of connecting. The
fact that In can occasionally get it to work suggest thatthere is some
sort of problem either with my settings or my software.

I'm operating a Compaq 6500 series with an Athlon XP 2100 chip. The
networking adaptor is an Nvidia Nforce MCP and has not had the drivers
updated since I got the computer in Aug 2002

cheers

Baldric

Get the latest drivers for your ethernet
card/motherboard. See if that fixes your problem once
they are updated.
Your DSL modem likely has a static IP address. If you are
unsure, recommend you talk to you DSL provider on how you
are to setup with WinXP with a network card. The
Cable/DSL providers have all sorts of security stuff that
link MAC addresses and IP addresses... to specific
customers to prevent cheaters from getting free service
from them. This could explain your problem, especially if
you originally setup your DSL via USB.