DVD sound on K7S5A Pro?

I have the above MB and have the on board C-Media AC97 sound system
installed on Win XP. The sound works fine for music CDs and all other
sound files, but when I try to play a DVD, there is no sound. If I go
into Windows Media Player v.9, it does not show a speaker system for the
DVD configuration. My guess is there is a driver missing for the DVD
sound to work, since there is no message of needing a CODEC when playing
a DVD. The video works fine, but there is no sound.

3D Audio Engine = CRL3D EAX2.0 A3D
Audio CODEC = CMI 9738
Audio Driver Ver. = 5.12.1.25
Audio Controller = SIS 7012 Audio Controller
DirectX Ver. = DirectX 8.1

My questions are: Before I spend a lot of time trying to solve this
problem, does anyone have sound when playing DVDs while using the on
board sound chip? If so, did you need a special driver? Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about sound k7s5a
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    Ken wrote:
    > I have the above MB and have the on board C-Media AC97 sound system
    > installed on Win XP. The sound works fine for music CDs and all other
    > sound files, but when I try to play a DVD, there is no sound. If I go
    > into Windows Media Player v.9, it does not show a speaker system for the
    > DVD configuration. My guess is there is a driver missing for the DVD
    > sound to work, since there is no message of needing a CODEC when playing
    > a DVD. The video works fine, but there is no sound.
    >
    > 3D Audio Engine = CRL3D EAX2.0 A3D
    > Audio CODEC = CMI 9738
    > Audio Driver Ver. = 5.12.1.25
    > Audio Controller = SIS 7012 Audio Controller
    > DirectX Ver. = DirectX 8.1
    >
    > My questions are: Before I spend a lot of time trying to solve this
    > problem, does anyone have sound when playing DVDs while using the on
    > board sound chip? If so, did you need a special driver? Thanks.

    Update: I found out what my problem was. It seems that although WMP
    is capable of playing DVDs, the sound needs a supplemental program. I
    found a free program called ACFilter that solved my problem.

Elitegroup DVD Audio Motherboards