We have to recover that map!

Last response: in Video Games
Share
February 13, 2005 5:19:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

Let's go defeat that evil pirate!

More about : recover map

February 14, 2005 1:30:47 AM

The Triad wrote:

> "Remind me again why we're listening to this in the first place?"
> "Because it's curious."
> "Agh der myt bi trezhur unbolbd!" *nod nod*
> "...and, please, /why/ are we crouched between the ceiling and the floor
> above, watching the conversation through cracks in the boards instead of
> simply going down there and joining in?"
> "Because if they don't know we're listening, then they might say something
> that they wouldn't other... well... all right, if they don't know we're
> here, then they can't intentially do anything to us, and that's a really,
> really sharp sabre."
> "Doh dat kuukd bok-bok /du/ luk tayzdti."
> "Oh."
> "...Ey. Whu ambd dat 'Bun Afflekt', eniwey?"
> "According to this search engine..." *rifles* "...some janitor's friend."
> [dry] "How nice." [/dry]
>
> *the three return to listening and watching intently*

.... ... ... Krista stared back at Pixel and shook her head with
exasperation.

"We're going to Canada. The Evil Reinder has taken up residence there.
He has fooled the locals into believing that he is one of them; he
makes his story convincing by licking trees and watching porn movies of
Asian girls."

Everyone was silent. How could one reply to that?

"Any questions?"

More silence.

"Alright! Everyone! To the boat!"

Everyone had failed to mention the connection between Ben Afflect and
the Evil Reinder. Actually, everyone had failed to notice the fact that
they were indeed the one and the same. But everyone had failed to
notice this, so no one at all questioned it.

Hours later, the ragged crew of pirate jedi, or whatever they were
trying to be, stood at attention under the leadership of their captain,
Captain ... ... ...
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 11:40:58 PM

"Kris" <kris@notrealemail.com> wrote in message
> The Triad wrote:
>
>> "Remind me again why we're listening to this in the first place?"
>> "Because it's curious."
>> "Agh der myt bi trezhur unbolbd!" *nod nod*
>> "...and, please, /why/ are we crouched between the ceiling and the floor
>> above, watching the conversation through cracks in the boards instead of
>> simply going down there and joining in?"
>> "Because if they don't know we're listening, then they might say
>> something that they wouldn't other... well... all right, if they don't
>> know we're here, then they can't intentially do anything to us, and
>> that's a really, really sharp sabre."
>> "Doh dat kuukd bok-bok /du/ luk tayzdti."
>> "Oh."
>> "...Ey. Whu ambd dat 'Bun Afflekt', eniwey?"
>> "According to this search engine..." *rifles* "...some janitor's
>> friend."
>> [dry] "How nice." [/dry]
>>
>> *the three return to listening and watching intently*
>
> ... ... ... Krista stared back at Pixel and shook her head with
> exasperation.
>
> "We're going to Canada. The Evil Reinder has taken up residence there. He
> has fooled the locals into believing that he is one of them; he makes his
> story convincing by licking trees and watching porn movies of Asian
> girls."
>
> Everyone was silent. How could one reply to that?
>
> "Any questions?"
>
> More silence.
>
> "Alright! Everyone! To the boat!"
>
> Everyone had failed to mention the connection between Ben Afflect and the
> Evil Reinder. Actually, everyone had failed to notice the fact that they
> were indeed the one and the same. But everyone had failed to notice this,
> so no one at all questioned it.
>
> Hours later, the ragged crew of pirate jedi, or whatever they were trying
> to be, stood at attention under the leadership of their captain, Captain
> ... ... ...

.... ... ... Ghul. Admittedly, he was tied to the mast, but the best leaders
are those that you don't have to listen to if you don't want to--and if you
do, and the decision was wrong, mutiny is a lot easier than in some other
cases.

"Ryt! RYT! RYT ULG BLAH UR--"

*krak!*

As water began to fill the hold, his 'crew' laughed among themselves and
bailed it out as it came, telling in-jokes and eating... well, something
that could only be classed 'edible' because humans were plainly swallowing
it, after much chewing indeed.

"Nuw! Uz habd tu bi beri, BERI KAYRFUL! Der ambd rokz un eedur zyd der,
deeb rokz, agh uz needi tu zteer da flot-r ryt bitween demz, ur elze--"

*krak*

"GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! ZUMASH GED ULG UFF OGH HEER!"

....the main problem with stowing away in the hold is how wet it can get.
The solution? Hammocks. However, it can be difficult getting them close
enough to the ceiling for people to walk beneath and neither look up or
accidently skewer one with a random sharp implement.

.... ... ...

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

A day without The Triad is like a day without sunshine...

I don't get it.

--
Daffy, the combustible duck.
--> www.aglami.net <--

"Daffy" <daffy889@imalga.net> wrote in message
>A day without The Triad is like a day without sunshine...

>>> ... ... ... Krista stared back at Pixel and shook her head with
>>> exasperation.
>>>
>>> "We're going to Canada. The Evil Reinder has taken up residence
>>> there. He has fooled the locals into believing that he is one of
>>> them; he makes his story convincing by licking trees and watching
>>> porn movies of Asian girls."
>>>
>>> Everyone was silent. How could one reply to that?
>>>
>>> "Any questions?"
>>>
>>> More silence.
>>>
>>> "Alright! Everyone! To the boat!"
>>>
>>> Everyone had failed to mention the connection between Ben Afflect
>>> and the Evil Reinder. Actually, everyone had failed to notice the
>>> fact that they were indeed the one and the same. But everyone had
>>> failed to notice this, so no one at all questioned it.
>>>
>>> Hours later, the ragged crew of pirate jedi, or whatever they were
>>> trying to be, stood at attention under the leadership of their
>>> captain, Captain ... ... ...
>>
>> ... ... ... Ghul. Admittedly, he was tied to the mast, but the best
>> leaders are those that you don't have to listen to if you don't want
>> to--and if you do, and the decision was wrong, mutiny is a lot easier
>> than in some other cases.
>>
>> "Ryt! RYT! RYT ULG BLAH UR--"
>>
>> *krak!*
>>
>> As water began to fill the hold, his 'crew' laughed among themselves
>> and bailed it out as it came, telling in-jokes and eating... well,
>> something that could only be classed 'edible' because humans were
>> plainly swallowing it, after much chewing indeed.
>>
>> "Nuw! Uz habd tu bi beri, BERI KAYRFUL! Der ambd rokz un eedur zyd
>> der, deeb rokz, agh uz needi tu zteer da flot-r ryt bitween demz, ur
>> elze--"
>> *krak*
>>
>> "GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! ZUMASH GED ULG UFF OGH HEER!"
>>

>> ...the main problem with stowing away in the hold is how wet it can
>> get. The solution? Hammocks. However, it can be difficult getting
>> them close enough to the ceiling for people to walk beneath and
>> neither look up or accidently skewer one with a random sharp
>> implement.
>> ... ... ...
>
> I don't get it.

We're lying in two hammocks shoved up against the ceiling, either our faces
or our backs (or our sides, for that matter) pressed firmly (and,
considering the splinters, painfully) against the ceiling of the hold of
Ghul's ship/boat/'flot-r', which has been commandeered by the rest of you;
Ghul in particular (the 'captain' of his ship) has been tied to the mast,
calling out frenzied instructions which everyone else blissfully ignores.

Does that clarify the situation somewhat. *rubs face; winces slightly*

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

A day without The Triad is like a day without sunshine...

>>> ... ... ... Ghul. Admittedly, he was tied to the mast, but the best
>>> leaders are those that you don't have to listen to if you don't want
>>> to--and if you do, and the decision was wrong, mutiny is a lot
>>> easier than in some other cases.
>>>
>>> "Ryt! RYT! RYT ULG BLAH UR--"
>>>
>>> *krak!*
>>>
>>> As water began to fill the hold, his 'crew' laughed among themselves
>>> and bailed it out as it came, telling in-jokes and eating... well,
>>> something that could only be classed 'edible' because humans were
>>> plainly swallowing it, after much chewing indeed.
>>>
>>> "Nuw! Uz habd tu bi beri, BERI KAYRFUL! Der ambd rokz un eedur zyd
>>> der, deeb rokz, agh uz needi tu zteer da flot-r ryt bitween demz, ur
>>> elze--"
>>> *krak*
>>>
>>> "GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! ZUMASH GED ULG UFF OGH HEER!"
>>>

>>> ...the main problem with stowing away in the hold is how wet it can
>>> get. The solution? Hammocks. However, it can be difficult getting
>>> them close enough to the ceiling for people to walk beneath and
>>> neither look up or accidently skewer one with a random sharp
>>> implement.
>>> ... ... ...
>>
>> I don't get it.
>
> We're lying in two hammocks shoved up against the ceiling, either our

Who is, the other two of you or everyone?

> faces or our backs (or our sides, for that matter) pressed firmly
> (and, considering the splinters, painfully) against the ceiling of
> the hold of Ghul's ship/boat/'flot-r', which has been commandeered by
> the rest of you; Ghul in particular (the 'captain' of his ship) has
> been tied to the mast, calling out frenzied instructions which
> everyone else blissfully ignores.
> Does that clarify the situation somewhat. *rubs face; winces
> slightly*

Oh, so it's set on a ship that the Aglamians stole from Ghul? I had just
assumed it was the Immortal Elephant, like in most other fanfics.

--
Daffy, the combustible duck.
--> www.aglami.net <--
daffy(at)aglami(dot)net
M$N: daffy889@hotmail.com [no emails]
February 18, 2005 5:32:40 AM

Daffy wrote:
> A day without The Triad is like a day without sunshine...

>>>I don't get it.
>>
>>We're lying in two hammocks shoved up against the ceiling, either our
>

> Who is, the other two of you or everyone?
>

>>faces or our backs (or our sides, for that matter) pressed firmly
>>(and, considering the splinters, painfully) against the ceiling of
>>the hold of Ghul's ship/boat/'flot-r', which has been commandeered by
>>the rest of you; Ghul in particular (the 'captain' of his ship) has
>>been tied to the mast, calling out frenzied instructions which
>>everyone else blissfully ignores.
>>Does that clarify the situation somewhat. *rubs face; winces
>>slightly*
>

> Oh, so it's set on a ship that the Aglamians stole from Ghul? I had just
> assumed it was the Immortal Elephant, like in most other fanfics.

We'll write in the bit where Reinder stole the Immortal Elephant for
sexual pleasure.
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 5:00:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

A day without Kris is like a day without sunshine...

>>> We're lying in two hammocks shoved up against the ceiling, either
>>> our
>>

>> Who is, the other two of you or everyone?
>>

>>> faces or our backs (or our sides, for that matter) pressed firmly
>>> (and, considering the splinters, painfully) against the ceiling of
>>> the hold of Ghul's ship/boat/'flot-r', which has been commandeered
>>> by the rest of you; Ghul in particular (the 'captain' of his ship)
>>> has been tied to the mast, calling out frenzied instructions which
>>> everyone else blissfully ignores.
>>> Does that clarify the situation somewhat. *rubs face; winces
>>> slightly*
>>

>> Oh, so it's set on a ship that the Aglamians stole from Ghul? I had
>> just assumed it was the Immortal Elephant, like in most other
>> fanfics.
>
> We'll write in the bit where Reinder stole the Immortal Elephant for
> sexual pleasure.

I'm talking the Immortal Elephant the ship, not the Immortal Elephant the
elephant.

--
Daffy, the combustible duck.
--> www.aglami.net <--
daffy(at)aglami(dot)net
M$N: daffy889@hotmail.com [no emails]
February 18, 2005 5:00:57 PM

Daffy wrote:

>>>Oh, so it's set on a ship that the Aglamians stole from Ghul? I had
>>>just assumed it was the Immortal Elephant, like in most other
>>>fanfics.
>>
>>We'll write in the bit where Reinder stole the Immortal Elephant for
>>sexual pleasure.
>

> I'm talking the Immortal Elephant the ship, not the Immortal Elephant the
> elephant.

Who says the ship can't be used for sexual pleasure?
Anonymous
February 19, 2005 3:18:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

A day without Kris is like a day without sunshine...

>>> We'll write in the bit where Reinder stole the Immortal Elephant for
>>> sexual pleasure.
>>

>> I'm talking the Immortal Elephant the ship, not the Immortal
>> Elephant the elephant.
>
> Who says the ship can't be used for sexual pleasure?

I shall have nothing more to do with this fanfic. And don't think it's ever
going on aglami.net.

--
Daffy, the combustible duck.
--> www.aglami.net <--
daffy(at)aglami(dot)net
M$N: daffy889@hotmail.com [no emails]
February 19, 2005 3:18:32 AM

Daffy wrote:
> A day without Kris is like a day without sunshine...

>>>I'm talking the Immortal Elephant the ship, not the Immortal
>>>Elephant the elephant.
>>
>>Who says the ship can't be used for sexual pleasure?
>

> I shall have nothing more to do with this fanfic. And don't think it's ever
> going on aglami.net.

*sniff*

Like all things, I guess. I guess you're right.
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 6:23:31 PM

> Daffy wrote:
>> A day without Kris is like a day without sunshine...

<copy>
> Who is, the other two of you or everyone?
</copy>

The other two of us.

(Note to selves: read other fanfics.)

>>>Who says the ship can't be used for sexual pleasure?

(Must... resist... urge... to make... innuendo...)

>> I shall have nothing more to do with this fanfic. And don't think it's
>> ever going on aglami.net.
>
> *sniff*
>
> Like all things, I guess. I guess you're right.

Hm. Do we just say that a previously-lit fuse somewhere in the hold of the
ship, high enough to not be doused by the water, reached a large sack/barrel
of gunpowder and led to the destruction of the ship? Or just spin an
elaborate, semi-horrible/semi-terrible story which ends with mind-scarring
for all, and free samples of brain-bleach (we hope...)?

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

Was this stopped because of what I said? There's still hope for it yet,
don't give up!

A day without The Triad is like a day without sunshine...

>> Hours later, the ragged crew of pirate jedi, or whatever they were
>> trying to be, stood at attention under the leadership of their
>> captain, Captain ... ... ...
>
> ... ... ... Ghul. Admittedly, he was tied to the mast, but the best
> leaders are those that you don't have to listen to if you don't want
> to--and if you do, and the decision was wrong, mutiny is a lot easier
> than in some other cases.
>
> "Ryt! RYT! RYT ULG BLAH UR--"
>
> *krak!*
>
> As water began to fill the hold, his 'crew' laughed among themselves
> and bailed it out as it came, telling in-jokes and eating... well,
> something that could only be classed 'edible' because humans were
> plainly swallowing it, after much chewing indeed.
>
> "Nuw! Uz habd tu bi beri, BERI KAYRFUL! Der ambd rokz un eedur zyd
> der, deeb rokz, agh uz needi tu zteer da flot-r ryt bitween demz, ur
> elze--"
> *krak*
>
> "GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! ZUMASH GED ULG UFF OGH HEER!"
>

> ...the main problem with stowing away in the hold is how wet it can
> get. The solution? Hammocks. However, it can be difficult getting
> them close enough to the ceiling for people to walk beneath and
> neither look up or accidently skewer one with a random sharp
> implement.
> ... ... ...

"Where should I put this box of sharp implements." called Daffy, carrying a
box of assorted dangerous looking objects through the hold.

"On the ceiling." replied Krista. "That's where we're putting all the stuff
we don't want."

Daffy considered this for a moment, then seeing no other logical way of
doing it, he threw the box straight up and jumped out of the way before it
could come falling down on top of him. A groan was heard coming from one of
the two strange lumps on the ceiling, the same strange lump that now had a
cutlass stuck into it.

"Nice cutlass," Daffy said, looking in the direction of the groan, and he
pulled it from the lump and put it in his belt.

Daffy admired his new cutlass as he walked back up onto the deck, where
Krista and Orin were arguing about something with Pixel hiding in a nearby
corner. Pausing for a moment to watch, he decided that stopping wouldn't be
a good idea, and continued walking. As he walked past the mast, Ghul started
yelling something incomprehensible and pointing over the side of the ship.
Daffy looked in the direction that Ghul was pointing, and was amazed at what
he saw.

"Uh... everyone? I think you should take a look at this..."

Daffy, the combustible duck.
--> www.aglami.net <--
daffy(at)aglami(dot)net
M$N: daffy889@hotmail.com [no emails]
Anonymous
February 22, 2005 5:47:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

A day without The Triad is like a day without sunshine...

> <copy>
>> Who is, the other two of you or everyone?
> </copy>
>
> The other two of us.

Ah, it all makes sense now.

www.aglami.net/?view/writings

>>> I shall have nothing more to do with this fanfic. And don't think
>>> it's ever going on aglami.net.
>>
>> *sniff*
>>
>> Like all things, I guess. I guess you're right.
>
> Hm. Do we just say that a previously-lit fuse somewhere in the hold
> of the ship, high enough to not be doused by the water, reached a
> large sack/barrel of gunpowder and led to the destruction of the
> ship? Or just spin an elaborate, semi-horrible/semi-terrible story
> which ends with mind-scarring for all, and free samples of
> brain-bleach (we hope...)?

No, now that I know what your bit was all about, I'll continue it. There's a
slight chance that it could still work.

--
Daffy, the combustible duck.
--> www.aglami.net <--
daffy(at)aglami(dot)net
M$N: daffy889@hotmail.com [no emails]
Anonymous
February 23, 2005 6:54:58 PM

>A day without The Triad is like a day without sunshine...
>
>> <copy>
>>> Who is, the other two of you or everyone?
>> </copy>
>>
>> The other two of us.
>
> Ah, it all makes sense now.

Ah, good.

>> (Note to selves: read other fanfics.)
>
> www.aglami.net/?view/writings

Yeep. *the three go to look*

>>> *sniff*
>>>
>>> Like all things, I guess. I guess you're right.
>>
>> Hm. Do we just say that a previously-lit fuse somewhere in the hold
>> of the ship, high enough to not be doused by the water, reached a
>> large sack/barrel of gunpowder and led to the destruction of the
>> ship? Or just spin an elaborate, semi-horrible/semi-terrible story
>> which ends with mind-scarring for all, and free samples of
>> brain-bleach (we hope...)?
>
> No, now that I know what your bit was all about, I'll continue it. There's
> a slight chance that it could still work.

Ahh.

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'

> Was this stopped because of what I said? There's still hope for it yet,
> don't give up!

> A day without The Triad is like a day without sunshine...

*sleep-deprived Triad finally get/s through enough of their backlog to get
as far as aglami once more*

....once more into the... something... *only fail to fall down because
they're already sitting down; yawns* ...sleeep...

>>> Hours later, the ragged crew of pirate jedi, or whatever they were
>>> trying to be, stood at attention under the leadership of their
>>> captain, Captain ... ... ...
>>
>> ... ... ... Ghul. Admittedly, he was tied to the mast, but the best
>> leaders are those that you don't have to listen to if you don't want
>> to--and if you do, and the decision was wrong, mutiny is a lot easier
>> than in some other cases.
>>
>> "Ryt! RYT! RYT ULG BLAH UR--"
>>
>> *krak!*
>>
>> As water began to fill the hold, his 'crew' laughed among themselves
>> and bailed it out as it came, telling in-jokes and eating... well,
>> something that could only be classed 'edible' because humans were
>> plainly swallowing it, after much chewing indeed.
>>
>> "Nuw! Uz habd tu bi beri, BERI KAYRFUL! Der ambd rokz un eedur zyd
>> der, deeb rokz, agh uz needi tu zteer da flot-r ryt bitween demz, ur
>> elze--"
>> *krak*
>>
>> "GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! ZUMASH GED ULG UFF OGH HEER!"
>>

>> ...the main problem with stowing away in the hold is how wet it can
>> get. The solution? Hammocks. However, it can be difficult getting
>> them close enough to the ceiling for people to walk beneath and
>> neither look up or accidently skewer one with a random sharp
>> implement.
>> ... ... ...
>
> "Where should I put this box of sharp implements." called Daffy, carrying
> a box of assorted dangerous looking objects through the hold.
>
> "On the ceiling." replied Krista. "That's where we're putting all the
> stuff we don't want."
>
> Daffy considered this for a moment, then seeing no other logical way of
> doing it, he threw the box straight up and jumped out of the way before it
> could come falling down on top of him. A groan was heard coming from one
> of the two strange lumps on the ceiling, the same strange lump that now
> had a cutlass stuck into it.
>
> "Nice cutlass," Daffy said, looking in the direction of the groan, and he
> pulled it from the lump and put it in his belt.
>
> Daffy admired his new cutlass as he walked back up onto the deck, where
> Krista and Orin were arguing about something with Pixel hiding in a nearby
> corner. Pausing for a moment to watch, he decided that stopping wouldn't
> be a good idea, and continued walking. As he walked past the mast, Ghul
> started yelling something incomprehensible and pointing over the side of
> the ship. Daffy looked in the direction that Ghul was pointing, and was
> amazed at what he saw.
>
> "Uh... everyone? I think you should take a look at this..."

....he sea serpent rose from the waves, crustings of silver and gold hooked
by the barbs of its scales, a mouth opening to reveal bones and treasure
caught between giant, carnivorous teeth... giant, yet relatively small eyes
stared at the ship below it with malevolent hatred and greed, and with a
great thrash of its unseen tale, the monster hurled itself at the wooden
structure floating beneath it.

"GAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! KUD ULG FRII AGH GIB ULG ASH LUSK! KUD ULG FRII
AGH--"

In the hold, Rupert groaned again.

[Random question: If one doesn't even fully understand others' in-jokes,
then how can one hope to accurately represent them/their words and/or
actions?]

--
The Triad
User of 'Thingamajig!'