athlon 2600 XP on K7 AMA

Hi,

I've got the following problem. I use a K7 AMA (1) and tried to upgrade to
an athlon Xp 2600 xp. Recently I'm using an athon xp 1800 which runs ok, but
is not fast enough to work smoothly with bigger photo data.
The problem with the 2600 is that the machine starts - I'm using W2k - but
as soon as I start a programme I get blue screens and total breakdowns. The
temperature of the cpu - bios information - is 68 to 70 degrees celsius.
Is that too high for the 2600 or is the k7 ama not able to cope with the
speed of the cpu? Of course I got the latest bios update (which says 2600 is
okay)
Thanks a lot for any help.

Walter
8 answers Last reply
More about athlon 2600
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    "Walter Gerecht" <W.Gerecht@schleswig-holstein.de> wrote in message

    " Is that too high for the 2600 or is the k7 ama not able to cope with the
    speed of the cpu? Of course I got the latest bios update (which says 2600 is
    okay) "

    Are you using a suitable heatsink/fan? The one you used with the 1800+ may
    not be good enough for the 2600+. Is it correctly fitted? 68 - 70 degrees
    is much too hot.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    "Walter Gerecht" <W.Gerecht@schleswig-holstein.de> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've got the following problem. I use a K7 AMA (1) and tried to upgrade to
    > an athlon Xp 2600 xp. Recently I'm using an athon xp 1800 which runs ok,
    but
    > is not fast enough to work smoothly with bigger photo data.
    > The problem with the 2600 is that the machine starts - I'm using W2k - but
    > as soon as I start a programme I get blue screens and total breakdowns.
    The
    > temperature of the cpu - bios information - is 68 to 70 degrees celsius.
    > Is that too high for the 2600 or is the k7 ama not able to cope with the
    > speed of the cpu? Of course I got the latest bios update (which says 2600
    is
    > okay)
    > Thanks a lot for any help.
    >
    > Walter

    Which XP2600 are you using? The K7AMA will not support the later 333 mhz.
    XP2600s, but should work with 266 mhz. Palomino and (hopefully) Thorobreds.
    The CPU temperatutre is too high, check your HSF specification and fitting.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    > Which XP2600 are you using? The K7AMA will not support the later 333 mhz.
    > XP2600s, but should work with 266 mhz. Palomino and (hopefully)
    Thorobreds.
    > The CPU temperatutre is too high, check your HSF specification and
    fitting.

    Hi again,

    thanks for your help. I'm using an XP 2600 with 266mhz.
    What is a "HSF specification and fitting"?

    Walter
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    > > Which XP2600 are you using? The K7AMA will not support the later 333
    mhz.
    > > XP2600s, but should work with 266 mhz. Palomino and (hopefully)
    > Thorobreds.
    > > The CPU temperatutre is too high, check your HSF specification and
    > fitting.
    >
    > Hi again,
    >
    > thanks for your help. I'm using an XP 2600 with 266mhz.
    > What is a "HSF specification and fitting"?
    >
    > Walter

    HSF = Heat sink and fan, on the CPU. Is the combination you are using
    approved for a processor of this speed? Are the items clean of dust? Is the
    interface between heatsink and CPU clean, to allow effective conduction of
    heat from the CPU to the heatsink? Sometimes, remnants of old compound can
    cause a less-than complete contact between the two items. Clean the surfaces
    with acetone or similar and refit dry and clean, or with arctic silver. Is
    your case cooling adequate? There should be an adequate flow of cooling air
    across the HSF to dissipate the heat generated. Poorly designed or
    inadequately vented cases don't always allow this. Older cases, made of
    thicker metal, can be worse. Modern cheap cases, constructed out of little
    more than silver paper, can actually be very effective in dissipating heat!
    How many case fans do you have and do they compliment each other or work
    against each other? Plenty to think about ......

    And is your power supply (PSU) adequate? Not only the rating and TCO, but
    the individual rail amperages, +3, +5 & +12 volts? May be fine with a
    XP1800, but a 2600 uses more juice.......

    Happy Christmas and welcome to the frustrating world of PC troubleshooting!

    --
    Remove ".invalid" and replace with ".co.uk" to reply

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    Hi again,

    thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate this.

    Menawhile I've bought a new HSF (Artic Cooling Copper Silent 2TC - approved
    till Athlon 3200) and the system is running!! Temperature is down to 58 / 59
    degrees.
    I cleaned everything first, of course. And there is an extra fan to remove
    the hot air out of the case.
    The only thing I'm still a bit worried about is that one part of the socket
    (where the HSF is fastened to) broke.
    There are six "noses" on the socket - three on each side - and one in the
    middle isn't there any longer.

    Apart from that the system is running vey smoothly now, remarkably faster
    than before.

    Have a Merry Christmas and thanks again.

    Walter

    "Mr. Slow" <millenniumgold@btinternet.invalid> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > "Walter Gerecht" <W.Gerecht@schleswig-holstein.de> wrote in message
    > >
    > > > Which XP2600 are you using? The K7AMA will not support the later 333
    > mhz.
    > > > XP2600s, but should work with 266 mhz. Palomino and (hopefully)
    > > Thorobreds.
    > > > The CPU temperatutre is too high, check your HSF specification and
    > > fitting.
    > >
    > > Hi again,
    > >
    > > thanks for your help. I'm using an XP 2600 with 266mhz.
    > > What is a "HSF specification and fitting"?
    > >
    > > Walter
    >
    > HSF = Heat sink and fan, on the CPU. Is the combination you are using
    > approved for a processor of this speed? Are the items clean of dust? Is
    the
    > interface between heatsink and CPU clean, to allow effective conduction of
    > heat from the CPU to the heatsink? Sometimes, remnants of old compound can
    > cause a less-than complete contact between the two items. Clean the
    surfaces
    > with acetone or similar and refit dry and clean, or with arctic silver. Is
    > your case cooling adequate? There should be an adequate flow of cooling
    air
    > across the HSF to dissipate the heat generated. Poorly designed or
    > inadequately vented cases don't always allow this. Older cases, made of
    > thicker metal, can be worse. Modern cheap cases, constructed out of little
    > more than silver paper, can actually be very effective in dissipating
    heat!
    > How many case fans do you have and do they compliment each other or work
    > against each other? Plenty to think about ......
    >
    > And is your power supply (PSU) adequate? Not only the rating and TCO, but
    > the individual rail amperages, +3, +5 & +12 volts? May be fine with a
    > XP1800, but a 2600 uses more juice.......
    >
    > Happy Christmas and welcome to the frustrating world of PC
    troubleshooting!

    > --
    > Remove ".invalid" and replace with ".co.uk" to reply

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    > Hi again,
    >
    > thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate this.
    >
    > Menawhile I've bought a new HSF (Artic Cooling Copper Silent 2TC -
    approved
    > till Athlon 3200) and the system is running!! Temperature is down to 58 /
    59
    > degrees.
    > I cleaned everything first, of course. And there is an extra fan to remove
    > the hot air out of the case.
    > The only thing I'm still a bit worried about is that one part of the
    socket
    > (where the HSF is fastened to) broke.
    > There are six "noses" on the socket - three on each side - and one in the
    > middle isn't there any longer.
    >
    > Apart from that the system is running vey smoothly now, remarkably faster
    > than before.
    >
    > Have a Merry Christmas and thanks again.
    >
    > Walter

    You are very welcome Walter. The missing lug on the socket is probably
    causing the CPU temperature to be hotter than it should. Keep an eye on it
    ..................a new motrherboard can be had very cheaply these days.

    --
    Remove ".invalid" and replace with ".co.uk" to reply

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    > "Walter Gerecht" <W.Gerecht@schleswig-holstein.de> wrote in message
    > > Hi again,
    > >
    > > thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate this.
    > >
    > > Menawhile I've bought a new HSF (Artic Cooling Copper Silent 2TC -
    > approved
    > > till Athlon 3200) and the system is running!! Temperature is down to 58
    /
    > 59
    > > degrees.
    > > I cleaned everything first, of course. And there is an extra fan to
    remove
    > > the hot air out of the case.
    > > The only thing I'm still a bit worried about is that one part of the
    > socket
    > > (where the HSF is fastened to) broke.
    > > There are six "noses" on the socket - three on each side - and one in
    the
    > > middle isn't there any longer.
    > >
    > > Apart from that the system is running vey smoothly now, remarkably
    faster
    > > than before.
    > >
    > > Have a Merry Christmas and thanks again.
    > >
    > > Walter
    >
    > You are very welcome Walter. The missing lug on the socket is probably
    > causing the CPU temperature to be hotter than it should. Keep an eye on it
    > .................a new motrherboard can be had very cheaply these days.

    Hi Mr.Slow,

    Thank you. I must admit that I thought about replacing the K7AMA when the
    lug (I learned a new word!) broke. Only problem is I have never done this
    before and I don't know which mainboard to take. Thought about an ASUS, but
    which? I'd like to keep the other parts of the system because they are o.k.
    and work well.
    If the motherboard is changed do I have to reinstall the operating system?
    (W2k)
    I'm beginning to understand what you meant by "welcome to the frustrating
    world of PC troubleshooting".

    Walter
  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    > "Mr. Slow" <millenniumgold@btinternet.invalid> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > >
    > > "Walter Gerecht" <W.Gerecht@schleswig-holstein.de> wrote in message
    > > > Hi again,
    > > >
    > > > thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate this.
    > > >
    > > > Menawhile I've bought a new HSF (Artic Cooling Copper Silent 2TC -
    > > approved
    > > > till Athlon 3200) and the system is running!! Temperature is down to
    58
    > /
    > > 59
    > > > degrees.
    > > > I cleaned everything first, of course. And there is an extra fan to
    > remove
    > > > the hot air out of the case.
    > > > The only thing I'm still a bit worried about is that one part of the
    > > socket
    > > > (where the HSF is fastened to) broke.
    > > > There are six "noses" on the socket - three on each side - and one in
    > the
    > > > middle isn't there any longer.
    > > >
    > > > Apart from that the system is running vey smoothly now, remarkably
    > faster
    > > > than before.
    > > >
    > > > Have a Merry Christmas and thanks again.
    > > >
    > > > Walter
    > >
    > > You are very welcome Walter. The missing lug on the socket is probably
    > > causing the CPU temperature to be hotter than it should. Keep an eye on
    it
    > > .................a new motrherboard can be had very cheaply these days.
    > >

    > Hi Mr.Slow,
    >
    > Thank you. I must admit that I thought about replacing the K7AMA when the
    > lug (I learned a new word!) broke. Only problem is I have never done this
    > before and I don't know which mainboard to take. Thought about an ASUS,
    but
    > which? I'd like to keep the other parts of the system because they are
    o.k.
    > and work well.
    > If the motherboard is changed do I have to reinstall the operating system?
    > (W2k)
    > I'm beginning to understand what you meant by "welcome to the frustrating
    > world of PC troubleshooting".
    >
    > Walter

    PC Chips boards seem very cheap and reliable these days, try this one for
    instance...

    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=59335

    or better still, this one with 400Mhz FSB,

    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=3993287382&action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=51760

    but beware, you may have to buy an 8x AGP graphics card (1.5v) for this
    board.

    You will probably have to do a repair installation of Win 2K booting from
    the CD, unless you can find a board with an ALI chipset (unlikely these
    days).

    Good luck!
    --
    Remove ".invalid" and replace with ".com" to reply by e mail

Elitegroup Windows XP Motherboards