K7S5A & AMD XP2000+ boot problem

Hi,
My brother's computer has been showing strange behaviour for the past 1-2
years or so since I bought this combo.

1) The CPU always registers as a 1200mhz...when I set the memory to pc-133
it goes to the proper speed, but eventually (weeks later) it goes back to
1200mhz

2) Recently, (funny how its close to the holidays), the computer will
bootup, but no signal is being sent to the monitor. My brother says he can
hear the computer start up...beep...and then hear the fan rev up and down
on occasion (similiar to a cdrom reving up while reading).

What my brother has tried:
1) Replacing the video card with another one..
2) Removing the CMOS battery, waiting few minutes and putting it back in...
(I don't know if #2 does anything)

The COMP's specs:
CPU: AMD XP2000+
MB: ECS K75SA
RAM: 1x256mb PC-133 & 1x128mb PC-133
VID: ASUS 7100v (GeForce 2 MX 32mb AGP)
SND: Integrated
LAN: Integrated
PWR: 350 W (Generic..came with case..but computer store installed it)
All latest drivers

My computer has been working flawlessly for 2 years...
CPU: AMD XP2100+ Thoroughbred
MB: ECS K75SA
RAM: 1x512mb PC-133
VID: MSI GeForce 4200 Ti agp
SND: Creative Soundblaster 5.1 Live
LAN: IBM 10/100
PWR: 350 W (Generic..came with case..)

I also checked here:
http://p199.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum

I would like to fix the computer while I'm back home for the holidays for
my younger brother.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...I'm having trouble finding the
exact problem.

Thanks :)

Roger S.

Same thing happens to one of my two K7S5A PROs
It's a know issue with this motherboard.
Try replacing the motherboard battery.

The way I deal with it is just to leave the computer on 24/7

Why the second problem, I do not know.

"Roger S." <a_roger_s@*nospam*msn.com> wrote in message
> [...]

> MB: ECS K75SA
> RAM: 1x256mb PC-133 & 1x128mb PC-133
> VID: ASUS 7100v (GeForce 2 MX 32mb AGP)
> SND: Integrated
> LAN: Integrated
> PWR: 350 W (Generic..came with case..but computer store installed it)
> All latest drivers
>
> My computer has been working flawlessly for 2 years...
> CPU: AMD XP2100+ Thoroughbred
> MB: ECS K75SA
> RAM: 1x512mb PC-133
> VID: MSI GeForce 4200 Ti agp
> SND: Creative Soundblaster 5.1 Live
> LAN: IBM 10/100
> PWR: 350 W (Generic..came with case..)
>
> I also checked here:
> http://p199.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum
>
> I would like to fix the computer while I'm back home for the holidays for
> my younger brother.
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...I'm having trouble finding the

Have him try the HoneyX BIOS and set the cpu and memory to 138/138.
It seems to make it more stable when using two sticks of SDram.
Also have him replace the MB battery(only a couple of dollars).

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 05:05:49 GMT, Buffalo wrote:

> "Roger S." <a_roger_s@*nospam*msn.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>> My brother's computer has been showing strange behaviour for the past 1-2
>> years or so since I bought this combo.
>>
>> 1) The CPU always registers as a 1200mhz...when I set the memory to pc-133
>> it goes to the proper speed, but eventually (weeks later) it goes back to
>> 1200mhz
>>
>> 2) Recently, (funny how its close to the holidays), the computer will
>> bootup, but no signal is being sent to the monitor. My brother says he can
>> hear the computer start up...beep...and then hear the fan rev up and down
>> on occasion (similiar to a cdrom reving up while reading).
>>
>> What my brother has tried:
>> 1) Replacing the video card with another one..
>> 2) Removing the CMOS battery, waiting few minutes and putting it back in...
>> (I don't know if #2 does anything)
>>
>> The COMP's specs:
>> CPU: AMD XP2000+
>> MB: ECS K75SA
>> RAM: 1x256mb PC-133 & 1x128mb PC-133
>> VID: ASUS 7100v (GeForce 2 MX 32mb AGP)
>> SND: Integrated
>> LAN: Integrated
>> PWR: 350 W (Generic..came with case..but computer store installed it)
>> All latest drivers
>>
>> My computer has been working flawlessly for 2 years...
>> CPU: AMD XP2100+ Thoroughbred
>> MB: ECS K75SA
>> RAM: 1x512mb PC-133
>> VID: MSI GeForce 4200 Ti agp
>> SND: Creative Soundblaster 5.1 Live
>> LAN: IBM 10/100
>> PWR: 350 W (Generic..came with case..)
>>
>> I also checked here:
>> http://p199.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum
>>
>> I would like to fix the computer while I'm back home for the holidays for
>> my younger brother.
>> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...I'm having trouble finding the
>> exact problem.
>>
>> Thanks :)
>>
>> Roger S.
>
> Have him try the HoneyX BIOS and set the cpu and memory to 138/138.
> It seems to make it more stable when using two sticks of SDram.
> Also have him replace the MB battery(only a couple of dollars).

Will that also address the second issue? About it not showing a signal and
reving up/down constantly?
Thanks
Roger S.

"Roger S." <a_roger_s@*nospam*msn.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 05:05:49 GMT, Buffalo wrote:
>
> > "Roger S." <a_roger_s@*nospam*msn.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >> My brother's computer has been showing strange behaviour for the past
1-2
> >> years or so since I bought this combo.
> >>
> >> 1) The CPU always registers as a 1200mhz...when I set the memory to
pc-133
> >> it goes to the proper speed, but eventually (weeks later) it goes back
> >> 1200mhz
> >>
> >> 2) Recently, (funny how its close to the holidays), the computer will
> >> bootup, but no signal is being sent to the monitor. My brother says he
can
> >> hear the computer start up...beep...and then hear the fan rev up and
down
> >> on occasion (similiar to a cdrom reving up while reading).

Hello Roger,

I experienced your 2nd problem on my machine too. It happened when a bit of
the silver grease on the cpu had covered some contacts on the cpu.
I cleaned it thoroughly and the problem was fixed.

Walter

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 20:36:45 +0100, Walter Gerecht wrote:

> "Roger S." <a_roger_s@*nospam*msn.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 05:05:49 GMT, Buffalo wrote:
>>
>>> "Roger S." <a_roger_s@*nospam*msn.com> wrote in message
> 1-2

> pc-133

> can
> down
>
> Hello Roger,
>
> I experienced your 2nd problem on my machine too. It happened when a bit of
> the silver grease on the cpu had covered some contacts on the cpu.
> I cleaned it thoroughly and the problem was fixed.
>
> Walter

I will look into cleaning the cpu and re-applying the thermal compound.
Since I've never done this before...how did you clean it? and what type
of thermal paste did you use afterwards?

Thanks :)
-Roger

> On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 20:36:45 +0100, Walter Gerecht wrote:
>
> > "Roger S." <a_roger_s@*nospam*msn.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> > 1-2

> > pc-133

> > can
> > down
> >
> > Hello Roger,
> >
> > I experienced your 2nd problem on my machine too. It happened when a
bit of
> > the silver grease on the cpu had covered some contacts on the cpu.
> > I cleaned it thoroughly and the problem was fixed.
> >
> > Walter
>
> I will look into cleaning the cpu and re-applying the thermal compound.
> Since I've never done this before...how did you clean it? and what type
> of thermal paste did you use afterwards?
>
> Thanks :)
> -Roger

Hello Roger,

I used cleansing benzine first and then some lens cleaner to remove the rest
of the benzine.
But have a look at the cpu first. If the grease is on the DIE only, don' t
try this method.
In my case it was the final attempt because there was far too much silver
grease on the cpu and I wasn't able to remove it properly with a cloth.
Maybe there's just dust in your case.
I used the same paste afterwards but only a tiny little bit.

Walter

"Roger S." <a_roger_s@*nospam*msn.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 05:05:49 GMT, Buffalo wrote:
>
> > "Roger S." <a_roger_s@*nospam*msn.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi,
> >> My brother's computer has been showing strange behaviour for the past 1-2
> >> years or so since I bought this combo.
> >>
> >> 1) The CPU always registers as a 1200mhz...when I set the memory to pc-133
> >> it goes to the proper speed, but eventually (weeks later) it goes back to
> >> 1200mhz
> >>
> >> 2) Recently, (funny how its close to the holidays), the computer will
> >> bootup, but no signal is being sent to the monitor. My brother says he can
> >> hear the computer start up...beep...and then hear the fan rev up and down
> >> on occasion (similiar to a cdrom reving up while reading).
> >>
> >> What my brother has tried:
> >> 1) Replacing the video card with another one..
> >> 2) Removing the CMOS battery, waiting few minutes and putting it back in...
> >> (I don't know if #2 does anything)
> >>
> >> The COMP's specs:
> >> CPU: AMD XP2000+
> >> MB: ECS K75SA
> >> RAM: 1x256mb PC-133 & 1x128mb PC-133
> >> VID: ASUS 7100v (GeForce 2 MX 32mb AGP)
> >> SND: Integrated
> >> LAN: Integrated
> >> PWR: 350 W (Generic..came with case..but computer store installed it)
> >> All latest drivers
> >>
> >> My computer has been working flawlessly for 2 years...
> >> CPU: AMD XP2100+ Thoroughbred
> >> MB: ECS K75SA
> >> RAM: 1x512mb PC-133
> >> VID: MSI GeForce 4200 Ti agp
> >> SND: Creative Soundblaster 5.1 Live
> >> LAN: IBM 10/100
> >> PWR: 350 W (Generic..came with case..)
> >>
> >> I also checked here:
> >> http://p199.ezboard.com/bk7s5amotherboardforum
> >>
> >> I would like to fix the computer while I'm back home for the holidays for
> >> my younger brother.
> >> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...I'm having trouble finding the
> >> exact problem.
> >>
> >> Thanks :)
> >>
> >> Roger S.
> >
> > Have him try the HoneyX BIOS and set the cpu and memory to 138/138.
> > It seems to make it more stable when using two sticks of SDram.
> > Also have him replace the MB battery(only a couple of dollars).
>
> Will that also address the second issue? About it not showing a signal and
> reving up/down constantly?
> Thanks
> Roger S.
The rev-ving sound may be do to a failing PowerSupplyUnit or a failing cpu fan.
A failing or weak PSU may not be giving the video card enough 'power' to work
properly, thus the no-signal response.

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to let you know that the problem has been temporarily
fixed.....

I used a new bios from the ECS website and booted off the floppy drive.

Seems that the CMOS battery is low and that caused the bios to go bad?
(not sure about this theory :) )

It also looks like the compound between the heatsink and cpu has melted
and moved to the edge of one side of the cpu.

I also vaccumed the heatsink since there was a lot of dust
accumulation.

My generic 300W power supply has the following ratings:

DC-- +3.3V +5V +12V
Output 20A 31A 10A
MAX 175W 120W

Not entirely sure if that is sufficient, but it is indeed a generic
power supply so my guess is that a new one should do help.

So...in terms of next steps it would be to clean and reapply the
thermal paste between the cpu and heatsink as well as get a new cmos
battery.
ECS has a bios update for problems with detecting XP2000+ processors so
I will try that as well.
After that a new power supply :)
Thank you very much for the help!
Roger S.

<spamplease@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone,
> Just wanted to let you know that the problem has been temporarily
> fixed.....
>
> I used a new bios from the ECS website and booted off the floppy drive.
>

> Seems that the CMOS battery is low and that caused the bios to go bad?
> (not sure about this theory :) )
>
> It also looks like the compound between the heatsink and cpu has melted
> and moved to the edge of one side of the cpu.
>
> I also vaccumed the heatsink since there was a lot of dust
> accumulation.
>
> My generic 300W power supply has the following ratings:
>
> DC-- +3.3V +5V +12V
> Output 20A 31A 10A
> MAX 175W 120W
>
> Not entirely sure if that is sufficient, but it is indeed a generic
> power supply so my guess is that a new one should do help.
>
> So...in terms of next steps it would be to clean and reapply the
> thermal paste between the cpu and heatsink as well as get a new cmos
> battery.
> ECS has a bios update for problems with detecting XP2000+ processors so
> I will try that as well.
> After that a new power supply :)
> Thank you very much for the help!
> Roger S.

As I stated in my first reply, try the HoneyX BIOS and replace the MB battery.
While the 12v amperage is a little low, the 5v amperage (important on that MB)
seems adequate.

Thanks for the detailed explanation :).
I recently changed the battery, scraped off the thermal adesive that
amd provides and put my own thermal paste. I also re-flashed the bios.
Thusfar, no problems. A low battery was definitely the cause of the bad
bios problem in this case.
I think you are dead-on about the power supply. My other computer runs
an $80 power supply and I haven't had any problems with that machine in
2 years.
(ECS K75SA & XP2100+ Thoroughbred)