Multiple mice

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I want to install two mice and two keyboards, all
wireless, on the same XP machine. I'm using Logitech and
MS products.

I installed the Logitech duo and it works fine. When I try
to install the MS Intellimouse, I get the message

"Setup Has Detected a Pointing Device Program Already
Installed"

The message offers me 2 choices: Either abort the
installation or remove the Logitech software and continue
with the MS installation

Knowledge base article 817456 addresses this subject as it
relates to a touchpad device and says to uninstall the
touchpad.

Is there a way to install the two mice and keyboards?

Thanks,
John

"John" <rossoduc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I want to install two mice and two keyboards, all
> wireless, on the same XP machine. I'm using Logitech and
> MS products.
>
> I installed the Logitech duo and it works fine. When I try
> to install the MS Intellimouse, I get the message
>
> "Setup Has Detected a Pointing Device Program Already
> Installed"
>
> The message offers me 2 choices: Either abort the
> installation or remove the Logitech software and continue
> with the MS installation
>
> Knowledge base article 817456 addresses this subject as it
> relates to a touchpad device and says to uninstall the
> touchpad.
>
> Is there a way to install the two mice and keyboards?
>
> Thanks,
> John

I've had as many as 4 mice at a time on my test computer, so it's certainly
possible to have multiple mice. And as far as it goes, I accidentally had a
PS2 and a USB keyboard connected at the same time, and it didn't blow up. It
might be an incompatibility of your two particular products, or maybe the
wireless, since the mice & keyboards I had were hard-wired.

You might try installing them in the opposite order and see what happens.
Maybe the other won't complain about the dual install. Or it might be
something inherent in the software included with your devices. I've noticed
it lately with some of the AV programs. You used to be able to install 2
without any gripes, but now some of them recognize the other brand and
insist on being the only one installed. Others work fine together.

"John" <rossoduc@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Is there a way to install the two mice and keyboards?

Why? You may be able to get a hardware solution, like a KVM switch in
reverse but I think for two devices to be connected at the same time
doing the same job is probably impossible and certainly unwise.

test
..

"John" <rossoduc@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I want to install two mice and two keyboards, all
> wireless, on the same XP machine. I'm using Logitech and
> MS products.
>
> I installed the Logitech duo and it works fine. When I try
> to install the MS Intellimouse, I get the message
>
> "Setup Has Detected a Pointing Device Program Already
> Installed"
>
> The message offers me 2 choices: Either abort the
> installation or remove the Logitech software and continue
> with the MS installation
>
> Knowledge base article 817456 addresses this subject as it
> relates to a touchpad device and says to uninstall the
> touchpad.
>
> Is there a way to install the two mice and keyboards?
>
> Thanks,
> John

---