SCSI speed problem in Win XP

Hello,

I have been searching and searching the internet for an answer to this
little 'challenge' of mine and I was wondering if anyone would be able to
help me. Several years ago I invested quite a lot of money in SCSI HD's and
an Adaptec SCSI 39160 Ultra 160 SCSI card. It worked wonderfully with
Windows ME and was the fastest system I had ever seen. In the last couple of
months, however, I upgraded to Windows XP and found that all of my SCSI drive
speeds had significantly dropped. I ran a check of the transfer rates of my
U160 HD's and they were transfering about 20MB/sec, while my IDE drives are
transferring about 33-40MB/sec. When the computer boots up, it shows that my
SCSI HD's are sync'ed at 160MB/sec and they are on a 16 BIt bus. Is there
something wrong with my system? I have checked everywhere I know to check.
Adaptec has no answers for me and I am about ready to throw my computer out
the window! Here are my system specs:

OS: Windows XP PRO
CPU: Athlon XP 2600+ (Thoroughbread chip)
RAM: Corsair PC3200 Dual Channel 4ooMHZ (1GB)
Video card: ATI Radeon 9700 PRO
HD: Quantum Atlas III U160 10,000 RM 18.4 GB x2 (1 is set as my system/boot
drive, the other is used for storage)
HD2: Maxtor 80 GB 7,200 RPM 8 MB cache ATA 133 (Used as swap
file/storage/program install
Soundcard: Soundblaster Audigy Platinum Ex
SCSI card: Adaptec 39160 (Downloaded latest drivers that Adaptec had on
their website. I believe they are from Nov. 2002)

If someone could help me it would be greatly appreciated. I have checked
with everyone I know to check with to no avail. HELP!

Sincerely,
David Wester

"David Webster" <DavidWebster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have been searching and searching the internet for an answer to this
> little 'challenge' of mine and I was wondering if anyone would be able to
> help me. Several years ago I invested quite a lot of money in SCSI HD's
and
> an Adaptec SCSI 39160 Ultra 160 SCSI card.

Big mistake as SCSI HDs offer little performance wise over ATA HDs on single
user workstations.

> It worked wonderfully with
> Windows ME and was the fastest system I had ever seen. In the last couple
of
> months, however, I upgraded to Windows XP and found that all of my SCSI
drive > speeds had significantly dropped. I ran a check of the transfer
rates of my
> U160 HD's and they were transfering about 20MB/sec, while my IDE drives
are
> transferring about 33-40MB/sec.

Measured how exactly?

> When the computer boots up, it shows that my
> SCSI HD's are sync'ed at 160MB/sec and they are on a 16 BIt bus. Is there
> something wrong with my system? I have checked everywhere I know to
check.
> Adaptec has no answers for me and I am about ready to throw my computer
out
> the window! Here are my system specs:
>
> OS: Windows XP PRO
> CPU: Athlon XP 2600+ (Thoroughbread chip)
> RAM: Corsair PC3200 Dual Channel 4ooMHZ (1GB)
> Video card: ATI Radeon 9700 PRO
> HD: Quantum Atlas III U160 10,000 RM 18.4 GB x2 (1 is set as my
system/boot

It's capable of about 53MB/sec. at the beginning.

> drive, the other is used for storage)
> HD2: Maxtor 80 GB 7,200 RPM 8 MB cache ATA 133 (Used as swap
> file/storage/program install
> Soundcard: Soundblaster Audigy Platinum Ex
> SCSI card: Adaptec 39160 (Downloaded latest drivers that Adaptec had on
> their website. I believe they are from Nov. 2002)
>
> If someone could help me it would be greatly appreciated. I have checked
> with everyone I know to check with to no avail. HELP!
>
> Sincerely,
> David Wester

TRENDING THREADS