Newsserver lameness

Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

Right, who knows a free server as good as individual.net?

"Dear users of News.Individual.NET,

effective from April 1th, 2005, use of News.Individual.NET will
not be free of charge anymore. The news service will continue as
a fee-based service."
28 answers Last reply
More about newsserver lameness
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

    Her, yes her wrote:
    > Right, who knows a free server as good as individual.net?
    >
    > "Dear users of News.Individual.NET,
    >
    > effective from April 1th, 2005, use of News.Individual.NET will
    > not be free of charge anymore. The news service will continue as
    > a fee-based service."

    Great. Because I just got up and running on that one.

    DAFFY!!! BEST DO SOME OF YOUR INFAMOUS 'DETECTIVE' WORK!!!
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

    Earlier Her, yes her muttered:

    >Right, who knows a free server as good as individual.net?
    >
    >"Dear users of News.Individual.NET,
    >
    >effective from April 1th, 2005, use of News.Individual.NET will
    >not be free of charge anymore. The news service will continue as
    >a fee-based service."

    Oh great!

    Hmmm, I didn't get that email...

    --
    pixel - knight of aglami
    www.warande.net/~pixel

    Pixel "#~ wrote:
    > Earlier Her, yes her muttered:
    >

    >>Right, who knows a free server as good as individual.net?
    >>
    >>"Dear users of News.Individual.NET,
    >>
    >>effective from April 1th, 2005, use of News.Individual.NET will
    >>not be free of charge anymore. The news service will continue as
    >>a fee-based service."
    >

    > Oh great!
    >
    > Hmmm, I didn't get that email...

    I did ...

    It made me cry *sniff* [1]
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

    Earlier Kris muttered:

    >>>Right, who knows a free server as good as individual.net?
    >>>
    >>>"Dear users of News.Individual.NET,
    >>>
    >>>effective from April 1th, 2005, use of News.Individual.NET will
    >>>not be free of charge anymore. The news service will continue as
    >>>a fee-based service."
    >>

    >> Oh great!
    >>
    >> Hmmm, I didn't get that email...
    >
    >I did ...
    >
    >It made me cry *sniff* [1]

    Bugger.

    --
    pixel - knight of aglami
    www.warande.net/~pixel
    jwerf at phil dot uu dot nl
    msn: johannesvanderwerf at hotmail dot com
    icq: 58550811
    www.aglami.net (new!)
    -
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
    -
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

    Earlier Pixel "#~ muttered:

    >>> Oh great!
    >>>
    >>> Hmmm, I didn't get that email...
    >>
    >>I did ...
    >>
    >>It made me cry *sniff* [1]
    >
    >Bugger.

    Oh, I just got the email.
    10 euros a year... hmmm...

    --
    pixel - knight of aglami
    www.warande.net/~pixel
    jwerf at phil dot uu dot nl
    msn: johannesvanderwerf at hotmail dot com
    icq: 58550811
    www.aglami.net (new!)
    -
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
    -
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

    A day without Pixel "#~ is like a day without sunshine...

    >> Right, who knows a free server as good as individual.net?
    >>
    >> "Dear users of News.Individual.NET,
    >>
    >> effective from April 1th, 2005, use of News.Individual.NET will
    >> not be free of charge anymore. The news service will continue as
    >> a fee-based service."
    >
    > Oh great!
    >
    > Hmmm, I didn't get that email...

    Neither did I, not that I really know what email address (or name) I gave
    them.

    --
    Daffy, the combustible duck.
    --> www.aglami.net <--

    A day without Kris is like a day without sunshine...

    >> Right, who knows a free server as good as individual.net?
    >>
    >> "Dear users of News.Individual.NET,
    >>
    >> effective from April 1th, 2005, use of News.Individual.NET will
    >> not be free of charge anymore. The news service will continue as
    >> a fee-based service."

    > Great. Because I just got up and running on that one.
    >
    > DAFFY!!! BEST DO SOME OF YOUR INFAMOUS 'DETECTIVE' WORK!!!

    I found this listing of free newsservers:
    http://www.newsservers.net/free_news_servers/index.php

    But I'm not testing them all, so let us know if you find a good one.

    --
    Daffy, the combustible duck.
    --> www.aglami.net <--
    daffy(at)aglami(dot)net
    M$N: daffy889@hotmail.com [no emails]
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

    A day without Daffy is like a day without sunshine...

    >>> Right, who knows a free server as good as individual.net?
    >>>
    >>> "Dear users of News.Individual.NET,
    >>>
    >>> effective from April 1th, 2005, use of News.Individual.NET will
    >>> not be free of charge anymore. The news service will continue as
    >>> a fee-based service."

    >> Great. Because I just got up and running on that one.
    >>
    >> DAFFY!!! BEST DO SOME OF YOUR INFAMOUS 'DETECTIVE' WORK!!!
    >
    > I found this listing of free newsservers:
    > http://www.newsservers.net/free_news_servers/index.php
    >
    > But I'm not testing them all, so let us know if you find a good one.

    Actaully, it turns out that a lot of those either don't allow posting or are
    test servers, and from the ones that were left I couldn't find anything
    decent.

    --
    Daffy, the combustible duck.
    --> www.aglami.net <--
    daffy(at)aglami(dot)net
    M$N: daffy889@hotmail.com [no emails]
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

    Daffy wrote:
    > A day without Daffy is like a day without sunshine...

    >>>Great. Because I just got up and running on that one.
    >>>
    >>>DAFFY!!! BEST DO SOME OF YOUR INFAMOUS 'DETECTIVE' WORK!!!
    >>
    >>I found this listing of free newsservers:
    >>http://www.newsservers.net/free_news_servers/index.php
    >>
    >>But I'm not testing them all, so let us know if you find a good one.
    >

    > Actaully, it turns out that a lot of those either don't allow posting or are
    > test servers, and from the ones that were left I couldn't find anything
    > decent.

    cp-news.centix.net took forever to download all the newsgroups, however,
    it includes not only AGLAMI, but also AFSJJBDDD :>
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

    Kris wrote:
    > Daffy wrote:
    >
    >> A day without Daffy is like a day without sunshine...

    >>> I found this listing of free newsservers:
    >>> http://www.newsservers.net/free_news_servers/index.php
    >>>
    >>> But I'm not testing them all, so let us know if you find a good one.
    >>

    >> Actaully, it turns out that a lot of those either don't allow posting
    >> or are test servers, and from the ones that were left I couldn't find
    >> anything decent.
    >

    > cp-news.centix.net took forever to download all the newsgroups, however,
    > it includes not only AGLAMI, but also AFSJJBDDD :>

    I'd also like to point out that it's taking awhile to download posts.
    Also, there seems to be a lot of spam from someone named "Eve" talking
    about her "breasts".
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

    A day without Kris is like a day without sunshine...

    >>> I found this listing of free newsservers:
    >>> http://www.newsservers.net/free_news_servers/index.php
    >>>
    >>> But I'm not testing them all, so let us know if you find a good one.
    >>

    >> Actaully, it turns out that a lot of those either don't allow
    >> posting or are test servers, and from the ones that were left I
    >> couldn't find anything decent.
    >
    > cp-news.centix.net took forever to download all the newsgroups,
    > however, it includes not only AGLAMI, but also AFSJJBDDD :>

    It's listed as being a test server though, so it might not exist for long.

    --
    Daffy, the combustible duck.
    --> www.aglami.net <--
    daffy(at)aglami(dot)net
    M$N: daffy889@hotmail.com [no emails]
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

    Daffy wrote:

    >>cp-news.centix.net took forever to download all the newsgroups,
    >>however, it includes not only AGLAMI, but also AFSJJBDDD :>
    >

    > It's listed as being a test server though, so it might not exist for long.

    It's existing for now, though :)

    When it dies, I'll let you know :)

    I'm using it to read AFSJJBDDD now :)
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

    Daffy wrote:

    > It's listed as being a test server though, so it might not exist for long.

    I'd also like to point out that the news.microsoft.com server is very
    nice if you work for Microsoft and want to see any new issues pop up
    before you get the call ;)

    (Yes, I just totally subscribed to all the Windows XP groups)

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 03:14:03 -0400, Kris wrote:

    >> cp-news.centix.net took forever to download all the newsgroups, however,
    >> it includes not only AGLAMI, but also AFSJJBDDD :>
    >
    > I'd also like to point out that it's taking awhile to download posts.
    > Also, there seems to be a lot of spam from someone named "Eve" talking
    > about her "breasts".

    Why the inverted commas? Are they not real breasts?
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

    Daffy wrote:

    >>>Right, who knows a free server as good as individual.net?
    >>>
    > Neither did I, not that I really know what email address (or name) I gave
    > them.

    Turns out my ISP's news server carries the newsgroups I subscribe to,
    and is faster than individual.net.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

    A day without Her, yes her is like a day without sunshine...

    >> Neither did I, not that I really know what email address (or name) I
    >> gave them.
    >
    > Turns out my ISP's news server carries the newsgroups I subscribe to,
    > and is faster than individual.net.

    I could say the same things about mine, but it takes too long to get posts
    from other servers.

    --
    Daffy, the combustible duck.
    --> www.aglami.net <--
    daffy(at)aglami(dot)net
    M$N: daffy889@hotmail.com [no emails]
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

    Earlier Daffy muttered:

    >>> Neither did I, not that I really know what email address (or name) I
    >>> gave them.
    >>
    >> Turns out my ISP's news server carries the newsgroups I subscribe to,
    >> and is faster than individual.net.
    >
    >I could say the same things about mine, but it takes too long to get posts
    >from other servers.

    I can choose from at least two servers locally (a warande newsserver
    (place I live) and a surfnet server (my provider)), but they both
    don't save message as long as the german server and also they don't
    filter for spam... :-(

    Maybe I'll just pay up.

    --
    pixel - knight of aglami
    www.warande.net/~pixel
    jwerf at phil dot uu dot nl
    msn: johannesvanderwerf at hotmail dot com
    icq: 58550811
    www.aglami.net (new!)
    -
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
    -
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

    She, yes she spat playfully:

    >Right, who knows a free server as good as individual.net?
    >
    >"Dear users of News.Individual.NET,
    >
    >effective from April 1th, 2005, use of News.Individual.NET will
    >not be free of charge anymore. The news service will continue as
    >a fee-based service."

    When the hell is April 1th? That's not ever. That's not even a thing.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

    Luke wrote:
    > She, yes she spat playfully:
    >

    >>Right, who knows a free server as good as individual.net?
    >>
    >>"Dear users of News.Individual.NET,
    >>
    >>effective from April 1th, 2005, use of News.Individual.NET will
    >>not be free of charge anymore. The news service will continue as
    >>a fee-based service."
    >

    > When the hell is April 1th? That's not ever. That's not even a thing.

    Trust Luke to be the ONLY one to pick up on that XD
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

    A day without Luke is like a day without sunshine...

    >> Right, who knows a free server as good as individual.net?
    >>
    >> "Dear users of News.Individual.NET,
    >>
    >> effective from April 1th, 2005, use of News.Individual.NET will
    >> not be free of charge anymore. The news service will continue as
    >> a fee-based service."
    >
    > When the hell is April 1th? That's not ever. That's not even a thing.

    They're Germans. They couldn't win the war, why would they be able to format
    the date correctly?

    --
    Daffy, the combustible duck.
    --> www.aglami.net <--
    daffy(at)aglami(dot)net
    M$N: daffy889@hotmail.com [no emails]
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

    Luke wrote:

    >>effective from April 1th, 2005, use of News.Individual.NET will
    >>not be free of charge anymore. The news service will continue as
    >>a fee-based service."
    >
    > When the hell is April 1th? That's not ever. That's not even a thing.

    It's probably April Fool'th.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

    Daffy wrote:
    > > I found this listing of free newsservers:
    > > http://www.newsservers.net/free_news_servers/index.php
    > >
    > > But I'm not testing them all, so let us know if you find a good
    one.

    > Actaully, it turns out that a lot of those either don't allow posting
    or are
    > test servers, and from the ones that were left I couldn't find
    anything
    > decent.

    If you don't mind a web-based newsreader, there is always Google
    Groups.

    --
    --WorldMaker--
    http://www.worldmaker.net/

    Earlier Max Battcher muttered:

    >> > I found this listing of free newsservers:
    >> > http://www.newsservers.net/free_news_servers/index.php
    >> >
    >> > But I'm not testing them all, so let us know if you find a good
    >one.
    >>
    >> Actaully, it turns out that a lot of those either don't allow posting
    >or are
    >> test servers, and from the ones that were left I couldn't find
    >anything
    >> decent.
    >
    >If you don't mind a web-based newsreader, there is always Google
    >Groups.

    The problem is I think that most people do mind...

    --
    pixel - knight of aglami
    www.warande.net/~pixel
    jwerf at phil dot uu dot nl
    msn: johannesvanderwerf at hotmail dot com
    icq: 58550811
    www.aglami.net (new!)
    -
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
    -
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

    Max Battcher wrote:

    > If you don't mind a web-based newsreader, there is always Google
    > Groups.

    HAHAHA.

    Oh, you're serious? Sorry.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

    A day without Pixel "#~ is like a day without sunshine...

    >>> Actaully, it turns out that a lot of those either don't allow
    >>> posting or are test servers, and from the ones that were left I
    >>> couldn't find anything decent.
    >>
    >> If you don't mind a web-based newsreader, there is always Google
    >> Groups.
    >
    > The problem is I think that most people do mind...

    Yes, all we want is a newsserver that is completely free, can be accessed
    with any newsreader, carries Aglami and the groups we regularly crosspost
    to, filters spam, is reliable and fast, and will be around for all eternity.
    Is that so much to ask??!?!

    --
    Daffy, the combustible duck.
    --> www.aglami.net <--
    daffy(at)aglami(dot)net
    M$N: daffy889@hotmail.com [no emails]
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

    Daffy, we've got a file on you:

    >A day without Pixel "#~ is like a day without sunshine...

    >>> If you don't mind a web-based newsreader, there is always Google
    >>> Groups.
    >>
    >> The problem is I think that most people do mind...
    >
    >Yes, all we want is a newsserver that is completely free, can be accessed
    >with any newsreader, carries Aglami and the groups we regularly crosspost
    >to, filters spam, is reliable and fast, and will be around for all eternity.
    >Is that so much to ask??!?!

    /shrugs
    doesn't seem too much to me
    --

    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,Blondestranger,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤
    ¤º°`°º¤¤º°`°º¤¤º°`°º¤

    Earlier blondestranger muttered:

    >>> The problem is I think that most people do mind...
    >>
    >>Yes, all we want is a newsserver that is completely free, can be accessed
    >>with any newsreader, carries Aglami and the groups we regularly crosspost
    >>to, filters spam, is reliable and fast, and will be around for all eternity.
    >>Is that so much to ask??!?!
    >
    >/shrugs
    >doesn't seem too much to me

    Revolution!!! POWER TO THE PEO.... hmmm, POWER TO US!!!!

    --
    pixel - knight of aglami
    www.warande.net/~pixel
    jwerf at phil dot uu dot nl
    msn: johannesvanderwerf at hotmail dot com
    icq: 58550811
    www.aglami.net (new!)
    -
    FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
    -
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

    Pixel "#~ wrote:
    > Earlier Max Battcher muttered:

    >>If you don't mind a web-based newsreader, there is always Google
    >>Groups.
    >

    > The problem is I think that most people do mind...

    The very reason I didn't post here for the longest time, actually.

Games Servers Video Games