19 Feb 2005, Low cost Networking for 180 meter(outdoor) ap..

Tags:
  • Wireless
  • Networking
  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
February 19, 2005 12:59:47 PM

Hello ,

I am new to this newsgroup and networking too.

I am planning to have LAN between two PCs which are 180 meters apart.

I can not put boosters/router in between, so I need wired/wireless
solution that is low cost.
I can work on 10 mbps or lower speed.

Once consultant suggested me to use wireless LAN where he suggests I
will need 2 Access points, 2 Antena's and 2 RF cables, the cost seems to
be higher than my budget.

Can any-one suggest me what can be a less budget solution for me.

We are software development company, and what to keep back-up at home
which is 180 meter away from office. Both buildings are separate and a
road is in between. From the top of the buildings top floors can be seen
of each other building.

Any suggestions, solution , guidance is appreciated.

Regards
[Sham]

More about : feb 2005 low cost networking 180 meter outdoor

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 19, 2005 12:59:48 PM

Two D-link ANT24-1800 High Gain Directional Panel Antennas $149.00 ea.
Two D-link DWL-G700AP 802.11g Access Points $69.00 ea.

Total Cost: $436.00

That is about as cheap as you will find and still have a decent file
transfer rate. And since the G700Ap also can act as a DHCP server it will be
easy to add more computers in the future to your two Lans with minimal
hassle.

Robert...

"Sham Yemul" <yemulss@sancharnet.in> wrote in message
news:o BtatujFFHA.2572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hello ,
>
> I am new to this newsgroup and networking too.
>
> I am planning to have LAN between two PCs which are 180 meters apart.
>
> I can not put boosters/router in between, so I need wired/wireless
> solution that is low cost.
> I can work on 10 mbps or lower speed.
>
> Once consultant suggested me to use wireless LAN where he suggests I will
> need 2 Access points, 2 Antena's and 2 RF cables, the cost seems to be
> higher than my budget.
>
> Can any-one suggest me what can be a less budget solution for me.
>
> We are software development company, and what to keep back-up at home
> which is 180 meter away from office. Both buildings are separate and a
> road is in between. From the top of the buildings top floors can be seen
> of each other building.
>
> Any suggestions, solution , guidance is appreciated.
>
> Regards
> [Sham]
February 19, 2005 12:59:49 PM

Hi

I might add that you need a totally clear line of sight between the two
Antennae.

Do not use long Coax, put the APs near the Antennae and run CAT5e to connect
the APs to the Network.

While the choice of APs and the cost looks reasonable.

The Antennae cost can probably be cut into half and still get good result.

Example as a frame of reference:
http://www.radiolabs.com/products/antennas/2.4gig/2.4-f...

Basic Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Two D-link ANT24-1800 High Gain Directional Panel Antennas $149.00 ea.
> Two D-link DWL-G700AP 802.11g Access Points $69.00 ea.
>
> Total Cost: $436.00
>
> That is about as cheap as you will find and still have a decent file
> transfer rate. And since the G700Ap also can act as a DHCP server it will
be
> easy to add more computers in the future to your two Lans with minimal
> hassle.
>
> Robert...
>
> "Sham Yemul" <yemulss@sancharnet.in> wrote in message
> news:o BtatujFFHA.2572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> > Hello ,
> >
> > I am new to this newsgroup and networking too.
> >
> > I am planning to have LAN between two PCs which are 180 meters apart.
> >
> > I can not put boosters/router in between, so I need wired/wireless
> > solution that is low cost.
> > I can work on 10 mbps or lower speed.
> >
> > Once consultant suggested me to use wireless LAN where he suggests I
will
> > need 2 Access points, 2 Antena's and 2 RF cables, the cost seems to be
> > higher than my budget.
> >
> > Can any-one suggest me what can be a less budget solution for me.
> >
> > We are software development company, and what to keep back-up at home
> > which is 180 meter away from office. Both buildings are separate and a
> > road is in between. From the top of the buildings top floors can be seen
> > of each other building.
> >
> > Any suggestions, solution , guidance is appreciated.
> >
> > Regards
> > [Sham]

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 19, 2005 12:59:50 PM

Yeah, that is a real good price. I might buy a few of those myself. Make
sure you go for the 19db versions though......

Robert...
"Jack" <JackMDS@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I might add that you need a totally clear line of sight between the two
> Antennae.
>
> Do not use long Coax, put the APs near the Antennae and run CAT5e to
> connect
> the APs to the Network.
>
> While the choice of APs and the cost looks reasonable.
>
> The Antennae cost can probably be cut into half and still get good result.
>
> Example as a frame of reference:
> http://www.radiolabs.com/products/antennas/2.4gig/2.4-f...
>
> Basic Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> Two D-link ANT24-1800 High Gain Directional Panel Antennas $149.00 ea.
>> Two D-link DWL-G700AP 802.11g Access Points $69.00 ea.
>>
>> Total Cost: $436.00
>>
>> That is about as cheap as you will find and still have a decent file
>> transfer rate. And since the G700Ap also can act as a DHCP server it will
> be
>> easy to add more computers in the future to your two Lans with minimal
>> hassle.
>>
>> Robert...
>>
>> "Sham Yemul" <yemulss@sancharnet.in> wrote in message
>> news:o BtatujFFHA.2572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> > Hello ,
>> >
>> > I am new to this newsgroup and networking too.
>> >
>> > I am planning to have LAN between two PCs which are 180 meters apart.
>> >
>> > I can not put boosters/router in between, so I need wired/wireless
>> > solution that is low cost.
>> > I can work on 10 mbps or lower speed.
>> >
>> > Once consultant suggested me to use wireless LAN where he suggests I
> will
>> > need 2 Access points, 2 Antena's and 2 RF cables, the cost seems to be
>> > higher than my budget.
>> >
>> > Can any-one suggest me what can be a less budget solution for me.
>> >
>> > We are software development company, and what to keep back-up at home
>> > which is 180 meter away from office. Both buildings are separate and a
>> > road is in between. From the top of the buildings top floors can be
>> > seen
>> > of each other building.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions, solution , guidance is appreciated.
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > [Sham]

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 19, 2005 12:59:50 PM

But on further inspection, the cable and connector combination you would
need will add atleast another $50.00 per cable to the price. So the price
difference really is not that much...

Robert....

"Jack" <JackMDS@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I might add that you need a totally clear line of sight between the two
> Antennae.
>
> Do not use long Coax, put the APs near the Antennae and run CAT5e to
> connect
> the APs to the Network.
>
> While the choice of APs and the cost looks reasonable.
>
> The Antennae cost can probably be cut into half and still get good result.
>
> Example as a frame of reference:
> http://www.radiolabs.com/products/antennas/2.4gig/2.4-f...
>
> Basic Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "DLink Guru" <rjacobs0spamfree@pacbell.net> wrote in message
>> Two D-link ANT24-1800 High Gain Directional Panel Antennas $149.00 ea.
>> Two D-link DWL-G700AP 802.11g Access Points $69.00 ea.
>>
>> Total Cost: $436.00
>>
>> That is about as cheap as you will find and still have a decent file
>> transfer rate. And since the G700Ap also can act as a DHCP server it will
> be
>> easy to add more computers in the future to your two Lans with minimal
>> hassle.
>>
>> Robert...
>>
>> "Sham Yemul" <yemulss@sancharnet.in> wrote in message
>> news:o BtatujFFHA.2572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> > Hello ,
>> >
>> > I am new to this newsgroup and networking too.
>> >
>> > I am planning to have LAN between two PCs which are 180 meters apart.
>> >
>> > I can not put boosters/router in between, so I need wired/wireless
>> > solution that is low cost.
>> > I can work on 10 mbps or lower speed.
>> >
>> > Once consultant suggested me to use wireless LAN where he suggests I
> will
>> > need 2 Access points, 2 Antena's and 2 RF cables, the cost seems to be
>> > higher than my budget.
>> >
>> > Can any-one suggest me what can be a less budget solution for me.
>> >
>> > We are software development company, and what to keep back-up at home
>> > which is 180 meter away from office. Both buildings are separate and a
>> > road is in between. From the top of the buildings top floors can be
>> > seen
>> > of each other building.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions, solution , guidance is appreciated.
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > [Sham]

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 19, 2005 2:47:22 PM

Thank you for quick reply.

1. Do I need RF Cable to connect the Antenna and Access/Point or PC if
so can you tell me what can be price (approximately) ?
2. I suppose I need to put the Antenna's at top of buildings, so I will
have to put some cable from my PC to Antena ?
3. can you clarify me, why for we need Access Point ? I mean what is the
role of Antena and Access Point ?

4. Do you know I can get these parts in India , my country ? or you know
who can supply at reasonable prices to my destination in India.

5. Do I need to take permission of Police Commissioner or
Telephone(which is owned by Govt) department ?

Thanks for the patience.

Regards
[Sham]
DLink Guru wrote:
> Two D-link ANT24-1800 High Gain Directional Panel Antennas $149.00 ea.
> Two D-link DWL-G700AP 802.11g Access Points $69.00 ea.
>
> Total Cost: $436.00
>
> That is about as cheap as you will find and still have a decent file
> transfer rate. And since the G700Ap also can act as a DHCP server it will be
> easy to add more computers in the future to your two Lans with minimal
> hassle.
>
> Robert...
>
> "Sham Yemul" <yemulss@sancharnet.in> wrote in message
> news:o BtatujFFHA.2572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
>>Hello ,
>>
>>I am new to this newsgroup and networking too.
>>
>>I am planning to have LAN between two PCs which are 180 meters apart.
>>
>>I can not put boosters/router in between, so I need wired/wireless
>>solution that is low cost.
>>I can work on 10 mbps or lower speed.
>>
>>Once consultant suggested me to use wireless LAN where he suggests I will
>>need 2 Access points, 2 Antena's and 2 RF cables, the cost seems to be
>>higher than my budget.
>>
>>Can any-one suggest me what can be a less budget solution for me.
>>
>>We are software development company, and what to keep back-up at home
>>which is 180 meter away from office. Both buildings are separate and a
>>road is in between. From the top of the buildings top floors can be seen
>>of each other building.
>>
>>Any suggestions, solution , guidance is appreciated.
>>
>>Regards
>>[Sham]

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
February 19, 2005 2:47:23 PM

The access point is used to bridge the two LANs together, making them look
like one network. The Antennas are need to direct a strong enough signal
from building to building to make the connection.

Yes you will have to put the antennas on the roof of the building and yes
you will have to use RF cable to go from the Access point to the antenna. I
would suggest putting the access pint on the floor closest to the roof so
your cabling is easier and less expensive.

Im very sure you can purchase these products In India, although they might
not be these exact models as Europe and Asian Models usually work of a
different power and channel scheme.

As for the police, I cant imagine them caring if you do this, but I have no
ideas of the laws in your country.

> Thank you for quick reply.
>
> 1. Do I need RF Cable to connect the Antenna and Access/Point or PC if so
> can you tell me what can be price (approximately) ?
> 2. I suppose I need to put the Antenna's at top of buildings, so I will
> have to put some cable from my PC to Antena ?
> 3. can you clarify me, why for we need Access Point ? I mean what is the
> role of Antena and Access Point ?
>
> 4. Do you know I can get these parts in India , my country ? or you know
> who can supply at reasonable prices to my destination in India.
>
> 5. Do I need to take permission of Police Commissioner or Telephone(which
> is owned by Govt) department ?
>
> Thanks for the patience.
>
> Regards
> [Sham]
> DLink Guru wrote:
>> Two D-link ANT24-1800 High Gain Directional Panel Antennas $149.00 ea.
>> Two D-link DWL-G700AP 802.11g Access Points $69.00 ea.
>>
>> Total Cost: $436.00
>>
>> That is about as cheap as you will find and still have a decent file
>> transfer rate. And since the G700Ap also can act as a DHCP server it will
>> be easy to add more computers in the future to your two Lans with minimal
>> hassle.
>>
>> Robert...
>>
>> "Sham Yemul" <yemulss@sancharnet.in> wrote in message
>> news:o BtatujFFHA.2572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>
>>>Hello ,
>>>
>>>I am new to this newsgroup and networking too.
>>>
>>>I am planning to have LAN between two PCs which are 180 meters apart.
>>>
>>>I can not put boosters/router in between, so I need wired/wireless
>>>solution that is low cost.
>>>I can work on 10 mbps or lower speed.
>>>
>>>Once consultant suggested me to use wireless LAN where he suggests I will
>>>need 2 Access points, 2 Antena's and 2 RF cables, the cost seems to be
>>>higher than my budget.
>>>
>>>Can any-one suggest me what can be a less budget solution for me.
>>>
>>>We are software development company, and what to keep back-up at home
>>>which is 180 meter away from office. Both buildings are separate and a
>>>road is in between. From the top of the buildings top floors can be seen
>>>of each other building.
>>>
>>>Any suggestions, solution , guidance is appreciated.
>>>
>>>Regards
>>>[Sham]

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 2, 2005 11:58:48 AM

Hello Sir,

Thanks for the information, I got a new query related to this issue.

I enquired with my local hardware supplier, he stated all accessories
you mentioned but different model no.s . But he also told that I need 2
wireless Lan Cards so as to get Access point and computer connected ?
This will again increase cost, anyway that I can use signals from Access
point to my computer with less cost ?

Regards
[Sham]
DLink Guru wrote:
> Two D-link ANT24-1800 High Gain Directional Panel Antennas $149.00 ea.
> Two D-link DWL-G700AP 802.11g Access Points $69.00 ea.
>
> Total Cost: $436.00
>
> That is about as cheap as you will find and still have a decent file
> transfer rate. And since the G700Ap also can act as a DHCP server it will be
> easy to add more computers in the future to your two Lans with minimal
> hassle.
>
> Robert...
>
> "Sham Yemul" <yemulss@sancharnet.in> wrote in message
> news:o BtatujFFHA.2572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>
>>Hello ,
>>
>>I am new to this newsgroup and networking too.
>>
>>I am planning to have LAN between two PCs which are 180 meters apart.
>>
>>I can not put boosters/router in between, so I need wired/wireless
>>solution that is low cost.
>>I can work on 10 mbps or lower speed.
>>
>>Once consultant suggested me to use wireless LAN where he suggests I will
>>need 2 Access points, 2 Antena's and 2 RF cables, the cost seems to be
>>higher than my budget.
>>
>>Can any-one suggest me what can be a less budget solution for me.
>>
>>We are software development company, and what to keep back-up at home
>>which is 180 meter away from office. Both buildings are separate and a
>>road is in between. From the top of the buildings top floors can be seen
>>of each other building.
>>
>>Any suggestions, solution , guidance is appreciated.
>>
>>Regards
>>[Sham]

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 2, 2005 11:58:49 AM

Hi, you will not need any wireless adapters (Clients) for your network. This
is what it will look like.

LAN#1 Computers-->HUB/SWITCH/ROUTER#1-->AP#1&Antenna{
AIR }Antenna&AP#2<--HUB/SWITCH/ROUTER#2<--LAN#2 Computers

You will then setup your APs for Bridging your two LANS. You would set
Router #1 DHCP to use something like IP addresses 192.168.0.10 to
192.168.0.99 and Router #2 to use like 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.200. Both
networks should use Subnet 255.255.255.0. You would also have to make sure
your routers have different IPs assigned to them, if you use the same models
they will come set to the same default IP, usually something like
192.168.0.1. So set one of them to 192.168.0.2 and you should have no
problem.

When this is all setup and you enable file and printer sharing on all
computers you should have everything working, and if one LAN has a Internet
connection, it would be shared between the tow LANs.......

!