Apple Building Restaurant So Staff Can Freely Share Secrets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Did they ever stop and think that their employees want to go somewhere to get away from the the Apple environment so they can unwind and relax? Seems to me the problem is that employees are taking the prototypes out of the office environment, which should not happen to begin with, and then leaving them somewhere. Either they do this my accident or they have it setup to do it on purpose. So no matter which this whole Apple bar/restaurant thing will just fail. That is till they realize that if they open it to the Apple koolaid drinker groupies and make a killing.

lasda

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Excellent
g.gif

If I worked there, the last thing I wanted was to go to a place that reminds me even more of work... for lunch. Unless they open it up to the public, I think this will stay mostly empty, except maybe for the few execs that need a place for business lunches. If someone ever "forgets" a prototype in a different restaurant again, this will be used as an excuse to tell that employee "why didn't you go to our restaurant instead?" And is also a new way to get some money back from your own employees into the company to fatten up some bonuses...

mikenygmail

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
"This will be a place close to Apple where employees can eat and openly discuss their work without the fear that a competitor might be spying" - Instead, Apple will be spying.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Rumor has it that the restaurant will have "revolutionary" things, like sealed cans that prevent the soda from going flat before opening. Only $14.95 each.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I owe my soul to the company store.
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]If I worked there, the last thing I wanted was to go to a place that reminds me even more of work... for lunch. Unless they open it up to the public, I think this will stay mostly empty, except maybe for the few execs that need a place for business lunches. If someone ever "forgets" a prototype in a different restaurant again, this will be used as an excuse to tell that employee "why didn't you go to our restaurant instead?" And is also a new way to get some money back from your own employees into the company to fatten up some bonuses...[/citation]
I agree with this. Sometimes, it's just refreshing just to get out of the building and anything related to work for 30-60 minutes

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
uhmmm....

CAN they build such place?

if they need to get food and business license, aren't they subject to non-discrimination clause?

I don't know how that works with restaurants but can a lawyer confirm this?

[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]uhmmm....CAN they build such place?if they need to get food and business license, aren't they subject to non-discrimination clause?I don't know how that works with restaurants but can a lawyer confirm this?[/citation]
Not if it is an off site cafeteria run by an outside catering company. But you are right, if it is a stand-alone business then they would have to cater to the public.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]nieur[/nom]apple don't think yourself as google where Staff enjoys the environment[/citation]
Yeahp, we all know those Apple employees are miserable forced slave labor. Well, McDonald's is hiring. How about we poll the Apple employees and find out how many of them are miserable.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]Note: Sorry to announce but this restaurant does not offers cherry pie /sarcasm[/citation]
What about raspberry pi? :p

adarsh_v

Honorable
Apr 27, 2012
But... where will the next prototype iPhone be 'dropped / lost / forgotten / stolen' if they all eat at an Apple location??

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]nor do they have Ice Cream Sandwiches on the menu...[/citation]

Apple Split.... hmm... with a sprinkle of sarcasm...

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
"Did they ever stop and think that their employees want to go somewhere to get away from the the Apple environment so they can unwind and relax?"

In which case they are going somewhere, perhaps without other Apple employees, where they won't be discussing anything that may be a secret. So feel free to go anywhere you'd like for non-work related conversation and stick to 'internal' locations where such things will or might be discussed.

Granted, I think the easier answer is to close off the current cafeteria to non-Apple employees than to open a whole new place.

I used to work for a company a couple of blocks from Apple headquarters; our cafeteria was technically open to the public, but the building required card access, so the average guy off the street couldn't go [without knowing someone internally or sneaking in I guess].

We used to go next door to Sun's cafeteria which was open to anyone [though it cost more for non-Sun employees to eat there]. I'm sure Oracle, Symantec and others also had cafeterias, but I think they were more like ours, where you first need access to a 'secure' building [granted, I could and did get into our 'secure' building with a coat hanger :)]

Status
Not open for further replies.