sometimes no sound?

peter

I have a dell dimension L933 with windows XP home.
About 20% of the time it boots up with no sound, when I try to use media
player to play mp3 file, it says my sound device is not working or
something. The remedy is to reboot.

Most of the time it boots up fine with sound.

I checked the IRQ and ports used by the built-in sound card, they are the
same in both cases. Any clue how to fix this?

Have you tried updating the sound card drivers? Check on Dell's website
for the latest drivers for your computer ;)

-----
Nathan McNulty

peter wrote:
> I have a dell dimension L933 with windows XP home.
> About 20% of the time it boots up with no sound, when I try to use media
> player to play mp3 file, it says my sound device is not working or
> something. The remedy is to reboot.
>
> Most of the time it boots up fine with sound.
>
> I checked the IRQ and ports used by the built-in sound card, they are the
> same in both cases. Any clue how to fix this?

Hi Peter,

Thank you for posting here!

I have the below suggestions at this moment:

1. Go to Dell Support Download web site
(http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs)
and enter your Service Tag, you will find the driver related to your
computer

2. Perform clean boot.

For more information about clean boot, please refer to KB article Q310353:
How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353)

3. You may remove Sound card in Device Manager and then restart your
computer. It will be detected and installed again.

To get into Device Manager, right click My Computer, choose Properties from
the context menu, click Device Manager button in Hardware tab.

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site.
Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft
does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information
found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations
regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or
information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any
software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure
that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from
the Internet.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE