Problem with ECS 741GX boot. Fry's system

One of the guys here at work got one of the $200.00 GQ systems from
Fry's. I set it up, loaded XP instead of Linspire and all was well.
One of the kids at the house yanked out the monitor plug and now,
after plugging it back in, it won't boot up at all. It "touches" the
keyboard for a second and each of the CD drives (not the A drive
though) but no BIOS beeps and no video at all (doesn't even bring the
monitor out of power-save mode). The C drive light is on but no
activity from the drive. I tried using a bootable CD too, nothing. I,
also, put in another PCI video card just for grins but still nothing.

I'm thinking the Mobo is damaged, any other ideas??

TIA

JohnF
4 answers Last reply
More about problem 741gx boot system
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    I should mention that the box is here at work now hooked up to
    completely different working perifs so there is no cord/wire/perif
    conflict.

    JohnF

    On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 15:14:58 GMT, JohnF <mpi-brwNADA@sbcglobal.net>
    wrote:

    >One of the guys here at work got one of the $200.00 GQ systems from
    >Fry's. I set it up, loaded XP instead of Linspire and all was well.
    >One of the kids at the house yanked out the monitor plug and now,
    >after plugging it back in, it won't boot up at all. It "touches" the
    >keyboard for a second and each of the CD drives (not the A drive
    >though) but no BIOS beeps and no video at all (doesn't even bring the
    >monitor out of power-save mode). The C drive light is on but no
    >activity from the drive. I tried using a bootable CD too, nothing. I,
    >also, put in another PCI video card just for grins but still nothing.
    >
    >I'm thinking the Mobo is damaged, any other ideas??
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >JohnF
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    wrote:

    >One of the guys here at work got one of the $200.00 GQ systems from
    >Fry's. I set it up, loaded XP instead of Linspire and all was well.
    >One of the kids at the house yanked out the monitor plug and now,
    >after plugging it back in, it won't boot up at all. It "touches" the
    >keyboard for a second and each of the CD drives (not the A drive
    >though) but no BIOS beeps and no video at all (doesn't even bring the
    >monitor out of power-save mode). The C drive light is on but no
    >activity from the drive. I tried using a bootable CD too, nothing. I,
    >also, put in another PCI video card just for grins but still nothing.
    >
    >I'm thinking the Mobo is damaged, any other ideas??
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >JohnF

    I assume you erased the cmos.
    PJ
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    New mobo solved it.

    JohnF

    On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 09:58:18 -0600, PJx <me@privacy.com> wrote:

    >On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 15:14:58 GMT, JohnF <mpi-brwNADA@sbcglobal.net>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>One of the guys here at work got one of the $200.00 GQ systems from
    >>Fry's. I set it up, loaded XP instead of Linspire and all was well.
    >>One of the kids at the house yanked out the monitor plug and now,
    >>after plugging it back in, it won't boot up at all. It "touches" the
    >>keyboard for a second and each of the CD drives (not the A drive
    >>though) but no BIOS beeps and no video at all (doesn't even bring the
    >>monitor out of power-save mode). The C drive light is on but no
    >>activity from the drive. I tried using a bootable CD too, nothing. I,
    >>also, put in another PCI video card just for grins but still nothing.
    >>
    >>I'm thinking the Mobo is damaged, any other ideas??
    >>
    >>TIA
    >>
    >>JohnF
    >
    > I assume you erased the cmos.
    >PJ
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    who paid for it?
    was it replace under warranty?

    On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:06:21 GMT, JohnF <mpi-brwNADA@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >New mobo solved it.
    >
    >JohnF
    >

    >On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 09:58:18 -0600, PJx <me@privacy.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 15:14:58 GMT, JohnF <mpi-brwNADA@sbcglobal.net>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>One of the guys here at work got one of the $200.00 GQ systems from
    >>>Fry's. I set it up, loaded XP instead of Linspire and all was well.
    >>>One of the kids at the house yanked out the monitor plug and now,
    >>>after plugging it back in, it won't boot up at all. It "touches" the
    >>>keyboard for a second and each of the CD drives (not the A drive
    >>>though) but no BIOS beeps and no video at all (doesn't even bring the
    >>>monitor out of power-save mode). The C drive light is on but no
    >>>activity from the drive. I tried using a bootable CD too, nothing. I,
    >>>also, put in another PCI video card just for grins but still nothing.
    >>>
    >>>I'm thinking the Mobo is damaged, any other ideas??
    >>>
    >>>TIA
    >>>
    >>>JohnF
    >>
    >> I assume you erased the cmos.
    >>PJ