Logitech Cordless Desktop MX for Bluetooth & SP2 (Logitech..

I want to go as completely bluetooth as possible (I am so sick of wires
everywhere :-)), and am considering the Logitech Cordless Desktop MX for
Bluetooth for my Windows XP SP2 system.

Is there anyone out there that has this combination, and does it work?

What is really confusing about this product is that they seem to supply
their own bluetooth stack as part of their "Setpoint" software. I DO NOT
WANT to mess up the builtin bluetooth stack in SP2 by installing the
logitech stuff. I have a bluetooth dongle, and have it working with both my
Sony Ericsson phone and my iPaq for things like synchronization. I am hoping
to toss the dongle, and just use the Logitech Bluetooth hub.

So, if anyone has this logitech product, please post your impressions?

I am most interested in the following please:

- Does the included bluetooth hub work with SP2's builtin bluetooth stack?
Is it auto recognized by the MS bluetooth stack when you plug it in?
- Do I need to install anything from Logitech to get it working?
- If the hub doesnt work with SP2, will the keyboard & mouse work with other
Bluetooth dongles?
- I assume that I can use other bluetooth devices with the logitech hub
(assuming it works with SP2... :-))?

I have filed these list of questions with Logitech support, but I have had
bad experiences with them in the past, so I dont hold out a whole lot of
hope they will give me *correct* answers :-) Maybe they will surprise me
and make me a convert though...

Thanks so much in advance for any help,

Joe
ps I would consider instead buying the MS competing product, but I have read
it wont work at boot time (for configuring bios for instance), and it doesnt
have a rechargeable mouse.
6 answers Last reply
More about logitech cordless desktop bluetooth logitech

    Since the BlueTooth format is standardized, they should all communicate
    with each other in the same way no matter what dongle or device you are
    using. Some devices support different services than others, but they
    should all work. Here is a list of natively supported BT devices:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;841803

    You can still use your current BT dongle with the new keyboard and mouse
    if you want to. I am not sure what you mean by Logitech BlueTooth Hub.
    Isn't is just another dongle? Anyways, I am using the Microsoft BT
    Desktop with SP2 right now and it works great. Logitech is every bit as
    good (some say better, but I think they are both great) as the Microsoft
    products. You should have no problems, but if you are worried about it,
    go to a store, but it, try it, and if it works either keep it or find a
    lower price online and return it. If it doesn't work the way you want
    it to, return it and try the MS BT Desktop ;)

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    Joe wrote:
    > I want to go as completely bluetooth as possible (I am so sick of wires
    > everywhere :-)), and am considering the Logitech Cordless Desktop MX for
    > Bluetooth for my Windows XP SP2 system.
    >
    > Is there anyone out there that has this combination, and does it work?
    >
    > What is really confusing about this product is that they seem to supply
    > their own bluetooth stack as part of their "Setpoint" software. I DO NOT
    > WANT to mess up the builtin bluetooth stack in SP2 by installing the
    > logitech stuff. I have a bluetooth dongle, and have it working with both my
    > Sony Ericsson phone and my iPaq for things like synchronization. I am hoping
    > to toss the dongle, and just use the Logitech Bluetooth hub.
    >
    > So, if anyone has this logitech product, please post your impressions?
    >
    > I am most interested in the following please:
    >
    > - Does the included bluetooth hub work with SP2's builtin bluetooth stack?
    > Is it auto recognized by the MS bluetooth stack when you plug it in?
    > - Do I need to install anything from Logitech to get it working?
    > - If the hub doesnt work with SP2, will the keyboard & mouse work with other
    > Bluetooth dongles?
    > - I assume that I can use other bluetooth devices with the logitech hub
    > (assuming it works with SP2... :-))?
    >
    > I have filed these list of questions with Logitech support, but I have had
    > bad experiences with them in the past, so I dont hold out a whole lot of
    > hope they will give me *correct* answers :-) Maybe they will surprise me
    > and make me a convert though...
    >
    > Thanks so much in advance for any help,
    >
    > Joe
    > ps I would consider instead buying the MS competing product, but I have read
    > it wont work at boot time (for configuring bios for instance), and it doesnt
    > have a rechargeable mouse.

    The Logitech Bluetooth Hub is much better than the generic one that Windows
    will provide, and is compatible with any Bluetooth device. It would be a
    wise purchase.

    Bobby

    "Joe" <spammersshouldbebeaten@iainttellin.com> wrote in message
    >I want to go as completely bluetooth as possible (I am so sick of wires
    > everywhere :-)), and am considering the Logitech Cordless Desktop MX for
    > Bluetooth for my Windows XP SP2 system.
    >
    > Is there anyone out there that has this combination, and does it work?
    >
    > What is really confusing about this product is that they seem to supply
    > their own bluetooth stack as part of their "Setpoint" software. I DO NOT
    > WANT to mess up the builtin bluetooth stack in SP2 by installing the
    > logitech stuff. I have a bluetooth dongle, and have it working with both
    > my
    > Sony Ericsson phone and my iPaq for things like synchronization. I am
    > hoping
    > to toss the dongle, and just use the Logitech Bluetooth hub.
    >
    > So, if anyone has this logitech product, please post your impressions?
    >
    > I am most interested in the following please:
    >
    > - Does the included bluetooth hub work with SP2's builtin bluetooth stack?
    > Is it auto recognized by the MS bluetooth stack when you plug it in?
    > - Do I need to install anything from Logitech to get it working?
    > - If the hub doesnt work with SP2, will the keyboard & mouse work with
    > other
    > Bluetooth dongles?
    > - I assume that I can use other bluetooth devices with the logitech hub
    > (assuming it works with SP2... :-))?
    >
    > I have filed these list of questions with Logitech support, but I have had
    > bad experiences with them in the past, so I dont hold out a whole lot of
    > hope they will give me *correct* answers :-) Maybe they will surprise me
    > and make me a convert though...
    >
    > Thanks so much in advance for any help,
    >
    > Joe
    > ps I would consider instead buying the MS competing product, but I have
    > read
    > it wont work at boot time (for configuring bios for instance), and it
    > doesnt
    > have a rechargeable mouse.

    Hi Nathan -

    Thanks for the quick reply, it is appreciated.

    I agree that "since the bluetooth format is standardized, they all should
    'just work'". However, this has almost never been my experience when
    talking about standards implemented by multiple vendors. :-( I did check
    out the list you pointed me to and did not see Logitech listed.

    What I am concerned about is that the logitech "hub" (I dont know what that
    means either its Logitechs terminology, I am guessing it means a bluetooth
    transceiver) wont be natively supported in SP2. If it isnt, that means I
    have to install some kind of driver from logitech. And that is where my
    nightmares will start I'm sure. :-(

    I guess it comes down to whether the Logitech BT "hub" is natively supported
    by SP2.

    Does anyone know the answer to that question?

    Thanks again,

    Joe

    "Nathan McNulty" <newsgroups@msn.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> - Do I need to install anything from Logitech to get it working?
    >> - If the hub doesnt work with SP2, will the keyboard & mouse work with
    >> other
    >> Bluetooth dongles?
    >> - I assume that I can use other bluetooth devices with the logitech hub
    >> (assuming it works with SP2... :-))?
    >>
    >> I have filed these list of questions with Logitech support, but I have
    >> had
    >> bad experiences with them in the past, so I dont hold out a whole lot of
    >> hope they will give me *correct* answers :-) Maybe they will surprise me
    >> and make me a convert though...
    >>
    >> Thanks so much in advance for any help,
    >>
    >> Joe
    >> ps I would consider instead buying the MS competing product, but I have
    >> read
    >> it wont work at boot time (for configuring bios for instance), and it

    If the logitech BT "hub" is not on that list, it is not natively
    supported and will require the Logitech drivers. This is not a bad
    thing either. Most people prefer other stacks (especially the Widcomm
    one) than the generic one included with Windows. You should be fine
    either way. If your current BT Dongle is natively supported, you can
    just use that and connect the keyboard/mouse to it instead and still
    have all of the functionality assuming Logitech didn't do something
    funky with their hardware.

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    Joe wrote:
> [...]
    >>>- Do I need to install anything from Logitech to get it working?
    >>>- If the hub doesnt work with SP2, will the keyboard & mouse work with
    >>>other
    >>>Bluetooth dongles?
    >>>- I assume that I can use other bluetooth devices with the logitech hub
    >>>(assuming it works with SP2... :-))?
    >>>
    >>>I have filed these list of questions with Logitech support, but I have
    >>>had
    >>>bad experiences with them in the past, so I dont hold out a whole lot of
    >>>hope they will give me *correct* answers :-) Maybe they will surprise me
    >>>and make me a convert though...
    >>>
    >>>Thanks so much in advance for any help,
    >>>
    >>>Joe
    >>>ps I would consider instead buying the MS competing product, but I have
    >>>read
    >>>it wont work at boot time (for configuring bios for instance), and it

    Logitech Bluetooth Adapter it's better because recharge a mouse battery

    BUT

    It's not support from XP SP2 !!!

    I've one and i'm searching a new product for sp2... sich sich

    --
    blondie63
    blondie63's Profile: http://forums.tech-arena.com/member.php?userid=2972

    Hi Joe,
    I am using Logitech MX bluetooth mouse, but as I install the Setpoint
    software, it prompts me that my computer already had a bluetooth solution, so
    it won't install their own bluetooth stack. In this situation, the bluetooth
    hub would not be able to pair with any other bluetooth devices except the
    Logitech mouse.
    I am disppointed with it because I expect the bluetooth hub to pair with my
    bluetooth cellular phone also.
    In your situation, you can continue to use your bluetooth dongle, but you
    may loose all the functons that come along with the Setpoint software.
    Logitech recommands users to use his bluetooth stack exclusively, in order
    to fully utilize the Setpoint functions. Users should be first unintall the
    bluetooth stack in sp2 and install the bluetooth stack provided by Logitech.
    I want to follow this recommandation, however, I do not know whether or not
    my computer has already had bluetooth stack installed. I have searched
    thoroughly and still not able to locate the preinstalled bluetooth stack!

    "Joe" wrote:

    > I want to go as completely bluetooth as possible (I am so sick of wires
    > everywhere :-)), and am considering the Logitech Cordless Desktop MX for
    > Bluetooth for my Windows XP SP2 system.
    >
    > Is there anyone out there that has this combination, and does it work?
    >
    > What is really confusing about this product is that they seem to supply
    > their own bluetooth stack as part of their "Setpoint" software. I DO NOT
    > WANT to mess up the builtin bluetooth stack in SP2 by installing the
    > logitech stuff. I have a bluetooth dongle, and have it working with both my
    > Sony Ericsson phone and my iPaq for things like synchronization. I am hoping
    > to toss the dongle, and just use the Logitech Bluetooth hub.
    >
    > So, if anyone has this logitech product, please post your impressions?
    >
    > I am most interested in the following please:
    >
    > - Does the included bluetooth hub work with SP2's builtin bluetooth stack?
    > Is it auto recognized by the MS bluetooth stack when you plug it in?
    > - Do I need to install anything from Logitech to get it working?
    > - If the hub doesnt work with SP2, will the keyboard & mouse work with other
    > Bluetooth dongles?
    > - I assume that I can use other bluetooth devices with the logitech hub
    > (assuming it works with SP2... :-))?
    >
    > I have filed these list of questions with Logitech support, but I have had
    > bad experiences with them in the past, so I dont hold out a whole lot of
    > hope they will give me *correct* answers :-) Maybe they will surprise me
    > and make me a convert though...
    >
    > Thanks so much in advance for any help,
    >
    > Joe
    > ps I would consider instead buying the MS competing product, but I have read
    > it wont work at boot time (for configuring bios for instance), and it doesnt
    > have a rechargeable mouse.

Logitech Bluetooth Cordless Desktop Windows XP Product