K7S5A won't POST with wireless PS/2 mouse

I bought this small IR keyboard (with integrated mouse):

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=23-107-114

The IR transceiver has two PS/2 plugs, one for the mouse and one for the
keyboard. However, when I attach it to my K7S5A it won't POST unless I
remove the mouse plug. I have tried it with my other GigaByte motherboard
and it works fine. Any ideas?
6 answers Last reply
More about k7s5a post wireless mouse
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    "John Verdana" <jv2233@greckoroman.com> wrote in message
    > I bought this small IR keyboard (with integrated mouse):
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=23-107-114
    >
    > The IR transceiver has two PS/2 plugs, one for the mouse and one for the
    > keyboard. However, when I attach it to my K7S5A it won't POST unless I
    > remove the mouse plug. I have tried it with my other GigaByte motherboard
    > and it works fine. Any ideas?

    Do you have a PS/2 to 9 pin serial adapter? Could you run the machine with
    the on-keyboard mouse connected to a serial port? I believe they also make
    such adapters for USB so that you can attach a PS/2 device to a USB port.

    Eric W.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    "Eric Wolfe" <b_eric_wolfe@yah00.com> wrote in message
    > "John Verdana" <jv2233@greckoroman.com> wrote in message
    >> I bought this small IR keyboard (with integrated mouse):
    >>
    >> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=23-107-114
    >>
    >> The IR transceiver has two PS/2 plugs, one for the mouse and one for the
    >> keyboard. However, when I attach it to my K7S5A it won't POST unless I
    >> remove the mouse plug. I have tried it with my other GigaByte motherboard
    >> and it works fine. Any ideas?
    >
    > Do you have a PS/2 to 9 pin serial adapter? Could you run the machine
    > with
    > the on-keyboard mouse connected to a serial port? I believe they also
    > make
    > such adapters for USB so that you can attach a PS/2 device to a USB port.

    Thanks Eric, I was thinking about that. I just wanted to check if there were
    any solutions that didn't involve spending money. :-)
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    "John Verdana" <jv2233@greckoroman.com> wrote in message
    > I bought this small IR keyboard (with integrated mouse):
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=23-107-114
    >
    > The IR transceiver has two PS/2 plugs, one for the mouse and one for the
    > keyboard. However, when I attach it to my K7S5A it won't POST unless I
    > remove the mouse plug. I have tried it with my other GigaByte motherboard
    > and it works fine. Any ideas?

    I just bought the same keyboard from Newegg last week. It works fine on my
    K7S5A but I disconnected the mouse plug because it isn't practical. I also
    had a much older keyboard with int. mouse by same mfr. and had no problems
    on K7S5A. It died on me and being good all these years, with excellent
    support, is why I bought this one. LiteOn or Silitek, either will give you
    prompt service if you need help about this. It's possible you have drivers
    floating around somewhat active that go to a different type of mouse? Check
    Device Manager in safe mode for duplications, Remove all if so, then reboot
    and see if things go smoother.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    "Smoker~" <schmoe@aol.com> wrote in message

    > "John Verdana" <jv2233@greckoroman.com> wrote in message
    >> I bought this small IR keyboard (with integrated mouse):
    >>
    >> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=23-107-114
    >>
    >> The IR transceiver has two PS/2 plugs, one for the mouse and one for the
    >> keyboard. However, when I attach it to my K7S5A it won't POST unless I
    >> remove the mouse plug. I have tried it with my other GigaByte motherboard
    >> and it works fine. Any ideas?
    >>
    > I just bought the same keyboard from Newegg last week. It works fine on my
    > K7S5A but I disconnected the mouse plug because it isn't practical. I also
    > had a much older keyboard with int. mouse by same mfr. and had no problems
    > on K7S5A. It died on me and being good all these years, with excellent
    > support, is why I bought this one. LiteOn or Silitek, either will give you
    > prompt service if you need help about this. It's possible you have drivers
    > floating around somewhat active that go to a different type of mouse?
    > Check
    > Device Manager in safe mode for duplications, Remove all if so, then
    > reboot
    > and see if things go smoother.

    The thing is, it will not POST, which means it's a hardware issue. It may be
    something to do with the arrangement of cards I have in the machine, or
    maybe its because I have an early version of the board. Who knows!
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    I'd try erasing the cmos and then I'd try different 'older' versions
    of the bios.

    PJ

    On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 16:12:46 -0500, "John Verdana"
    <jv2233@greckoroman.com> wrote:

    >"Smoker~" <schmoe@aol.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "John Verdana" <jv2233@greckoroman.com> wrote in message
    >>> I bought this small IR keyboard (with integrated mouse):
    >>>
    >>> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=23-107-114
    >>>
    >>> The IR transceiver has two PS/2 plugs, one for the mouse and one for the
    >>> keyboard. However, when I attach it to my K7S5A it won't POST unless I
    >>> remove the mouse plug. I have tried it with my other GigaByte motherboard
    >>> and it works fine. Any ideas?
    >>>
    >> I just bought the same keyboard from Newegg last week. It works fine on my
    >> K7S5A but I disconnected the mouse plug because it isn't practical. I also
    >> had a much older keyboard with int. mouse by same mfr. and had no problems
    >> on K7S5A. It died on me and being good all these years, with excellent
    >> support, is why I bought this one. LiteOn or Silitek, either will give you
    >> prompt service if you need help about this. It's possible you have drivers
    >> floating around somewhat active that go to a different type of mouse?
    >> Check
    >> Device Manager in safe mode for duplications, Remove all if so, then
    >> reboot
    >> and see if things go smoother.
    >
    >The thing is, it will not POST, which means it's a hardware issue. It may be
    >something to do with the arrangement of cards I have in the machine, or
    >maybe its because I have an early version of the board. Who knows!

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.elitegroup (More info?)

    Good idea. I'll try that. Thanks.

    "PJx" <me@privacy.com> wrote in message

    > I'd try erasing the cmos and then I'd try different 'older' versions
    > of the bios.
    >
    > PJ
    >

    > On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 16:12:46 -0500, "John Verdana"
    > <jv2233@greckoroman.com> wrote:
    >
    >>"Smoker~" <schmoe@aol.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "John Verdana" <jv2233@greckoroman.com> wrote in message

    >>> I just bought the same keyboard from Newegg last week. It works fine on
    >>> my
    >>> K7S5A but I disconnected the mouse plug because it isn't practical. I
    >>> also
    >>> had a much older keyboard with int. mouse by same mfr. and had no
    >>> problems
    >>> on K7S5A. It died on me and being good all these years, with excellent
    >>> support, is why I bought this one. LiteOn or Silitek, either will give
    >>> you
    >>> prompt service if you need help about this. It's possible you have
    >>> drivers
    >>> floating around somewhat active that go to a different type of mouse?
    >>> Check
    >>> Device Manager in safe mode for duplications, Remove all if so, then
    >>> reboot
    >>> and see if things go smoother.
    >>
    >>The thing is, it will not POST, which means it's a hardware issue. It may
    >>be
    >>something to do with the arrangement of cards I have in the machine, or
    >>maybe its because I have an early version of the board. Who knows!

Elitegroup Mice PS/2 Keyboards Motherboards