K7S5A won't POST with wireless PS/2 mouse

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
January 15, 2005 1:32:27 AM

I bought this small IR keyboard (with integrated mouse):

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...

The IR transceiver has two PS/2 plugs, one for the mouse and one for the
keyboard. However, when I attach it to my K7S5A it won't POST unless I
remove the mouse plug. I have tried it with my other GigaByte motherboard
and it works fine. Any ideas?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 15, 2005 6:50:06 AM

"John Verdana" <jv2233@greckoroman.com> wrote in message
> I bought this small IR keyboard (with integrated mouse):
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
>
> The IR transceiver has two PS/2 plugs, one for the mouse and one for the
> keyboard. However, when I attach it to my K7S5A it won't POST unless I
> remove the mouse plug. I have tried it with my other GigaByte motherboard
> and it works fine. Any ideas?

Do you have a PS/2 to 9 pin serial adapter? Could you run the machine with
the on-keyboard mouse connected to a serial port? I believe they also make
such adapters for USB so that you can attach a PS/2 device to a USB port.

Eric W.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 15, 2005 2:22:53 PM

"Eric Wolfe" <b_eric_wolfe@yah00.com> wrote in message
> "John Verdana" <jv2233@greckoroman.com> wrote in message
>> I bought this small IR keyboard (with integrated mouse):
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
>>
>> The IR transceiver has two PS/2 plugs, one for the mouse and one for the
>> keyboard. However, when I attach it to my K7S5A it won't POST unless I
>> remove the mouse plug. I have tried it with my other GigaByte motherboard
>> and it works fine. Any ideas?
>
> Do you have a PS/2 to 9 pin serial adapter? Could you run the machine
> with
> the on-keyboard mouse connected to a serial port? I believe they also
> make
> such adapters for USB so that you can attach a PS/2 device to a USB port.

Thanks Eric, I was thinking about that. I just wanted to check if there were
any solutions that didn't involve spending money. :-)
a b V Motherboard
January 15, 2005 9:07:04 PM

"John Verdana" <jv2233@greckoroman.com> wrote in message
> I bought this small IR keyboard (with integrated mouse):
>
> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
>
> The IR transceiver has two PS/2 plugs, one for the mouse and one for the
> keyboard. However, when I attach it to my K7S5A it won't POST unless I
> remove the mouse plug. I have tried it with my other GigaByte motherboard
> and it works fine. Any ideas?

I just bought the same keyboard from Newegg last week. It works fine on my
K7S5A but I disconnected the mouse plug because it isn't practical. I also
had a much older keyboard with int. mouse by same mfr. and had no problems
on K7S5A. It died on me and being good all these years, with excellent
support, is why I bought this one. LiteOn or Silitek, either will give you
prompt service if you need help about this. It's possible you have drivers
floating around somewhat active that go to a different type of mouse? Check
Device Manager in safe mode for duplications, Remove all if so, then reboot
and see if things go smoother.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 15, 2005 9:07:05 PM

"Smoker~" <schmoe@aol.com> wrote in message

> "John Verdana" <jv2233@greckoroman.com> wrote in message
>> I bought this small IR keyboard (with integrated mouse):
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
>>
>> The IR transceiver has two PS/2 plugs, one for the mouse and one for the
>> keyboard. However, when I attach it to my K7S5A it won't POST unless I
>> remove the mouse plug. I have tried it with my other GigaByte motherboard
>> and it works fine. Any ideas?
>>
> I just bought the same keyboard from Newegg last week. It works fine on my
> K7S5A but I disconnected the mouse plug because it isn't practical. I also
> had a much older keyboard with int. mouse by same mfr. and had no problems
> on K7S5A. It died on me and being good all these years, with excellent
> support, is why I bought this one. LiteOn or Silitek, either will give you
> prompt service if you need help about this. It's possible you have drivers
> floating around somewhat active that go to a different type of mouse?
> Check
> Device Manager in safe mode for duplications, Remove all if so, then
> reboot
> and see if things go smoother.

The thing is, it will not POST, which means it's a hardware issue. It may be
something to do with the arrangement of cards I have in the machine, or
maybe its because I have an early version of the board. Who knows!
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2005 3:39:15 PM

I'd try erasing the cmos and then I'd try different 'older' versions
of the bios.

PJ

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 16:12:46 -0500, "John Verdana"
<jv2233@greckoroman.com> wrote:

>"Smoker~" <schmoe@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "John Verdana" <jv2233@greckoroman.com> wrote in message
>>> I bought this small IR keyboard (with integrated mouse):
>>>
>>> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?descripti...
>>>
>>> The IR transceiver has two PS/2 plugs, one for the mouse and one for the
>>> keyboard. However, when I attach it to my K7S5A it won't POST unless I
>>> remove the mouse plug. I have tried it with my other GigaByte motherboard
>>> and it works fine. Any ideas?
>>>
>> I just bought the same keyboard from Newegg last week. It works fine on my
>> K7S5A but I disconnected the mouse plug because it isn't practical. I also
>> had a much older keyboard with int. mouse by same mfr. and had no problems
>> on K7S5A. It died on me and being good all these years, with excellent
>> support, is why I bought this one. LiteOn or Silitek, either will give you
>> prompt service if you need help about this. It's possible you have drivers
>> floating around somewhat active that go to a different type of mouse?
>> Check
>> Device Manager in safe mode for duplications, Remove all if so, then
>> reboot
>> and see if things go smoother.
>
>The thing is, it will not POST, which means it's a hardware issue. It may be
>something to do with the arrangement of cards I have in the machine, or
>maybe its because I have an early version of the board. Who knows!

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
January 17, 2005 2:37:29 AM

Good idea. I'll try that. Thanks.