P4VMM2 AGP Problems

Ok i hate having to actualy ask about this realy, But this motherboard
has me at the end of my rope. Its a P4VMM2 v1. as far as i can tell and
it came with (as far as i can tell given its second hand ) an Chaintech
a-mx40 videocard (its a Geforce2 MX card with 64MB) when it was built.
So i know there must have been some way it will work or else there
would have been problems trying to sell a PoS like that more than a few
times.

Now When i got the system The screen wouldnt work on either the onboard
output or the agp card output but the system would boot up properly.
After Clearing the bios to try and resolve the problem I got no result,
I then removed the AGP card and the onboard video started working
again. After replacing the agp card (leaving the bios set to the
defaults) The system will Boot up and the screen works on the Onboard
vidoe, but still does not work on the agp card.

Ive tried setting the AGP as the primary video device in the bios. Ive
also tried turning of the allocate IRQ to PCI option with no result.

The system stubbornly refuses to see/use/recognise this agp card

And the former owner never used the card, so theres no help there. He
only used the Onboard graphics.

Ive been searching the net for days now trying to find a solution, but
i just keep finding more people with similar problems. Im realy hoping
to get a solution. Because an upgrade is pretty much out of the
question for me. I havent got the $, (and no matter how cheap you can
point out another card on ebay the international shipping and the
exchange rate puts it out of my reach. And i dont have a credit card to
pay for stuff online either)

Hopefuly someone can give me some advice before i have to give up and
resign myself to being stuck with the onboard Savage4 3D/2D graphics
chip and it sharing my systems ram.

"Lucractius" <Lucractius@gmail.com> wrote in

> Ok i hate having to actualy ask about this realy, But this motherboard
> has me at the end of my rope. Its a P4VMM2 v1. as far as i can tell and
> it came with (as far as i can tell given its second hand ) an Chaintech
> a-mx40 videocard (its a Geforce2 MX card with 64MB) when it was built.
> So i know there must have been some way it will work or else there
> would have been problems trying to sell a PoS like that more than a few
> times.
>
> Now When i got the system The screen wouldnt work on either the onboard
> output or the agp card output but the system would boot up properly.
> After Clearing the bios to try and resolve the problem I got no result,
> I then removed the AGP card and the onboard video started working
> again. After replacing the agp card (leaving the bios set to the
> defaults) The system will Boot up and the screen works on the Onboard
> vidoe, but still does not work on the agp card.
>
> Ive tried setting the AGP as the primary video device in the bios. Ive
> also tried turning of the allocate IRQ to PCI option with no result.
>
> The system stubbornly refuses to see/use/recognise this agp card
>
> And the former owner never used the card, so theres no help there. He
> only used the Onboard graphics.
>
> Ive been searching the net for days now trying to find a solution, but
> i just keep finding more people with similar problems. Im realy hoping
> to get a solution. Because an upgrade is pretty much out of the
> question for me. I havent got the $, (and no matter how cheap you can
> point out another card on ebay the international shipping and the
> exchange rate puts it out of my reach. And i dont have a credit card to
> pay for stuff online either)
>
> Hopefuly someone can give me some advice before i have to give up and
> resign myself to being stuck with the onboard Savage4 3D/2D graphics
> chip and it sharing my systems ram.

That mainboard will only support true 4x AGP. Make sure your adapter
works 4X and is jumpered as such. Additionally, you need to de-allocate
the memory for the onboard video in BIOS. That should switch it over to
the AGP bus unless there is something wrong with the adapter or slot.

HTH

I have tried dealocating the memory for th eonboard video now twice,
testing with both the irq set to pci option on and off.

i still have no soloution. If its the graphics card then ill probably
need to seek finer details about the settings on the cards hardware.
But before i do id like to know if that is the Exact way to solve the
problem, or if theres any other soloutions.

b623

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
I have MotherBoard p4vmm2 7.3 ( version is printed close to ps2 port )

I been able to make a 4x-8x asus ati radeo 9600xt 128 work

I don't know exactly why it has worked.

here is what I did.
first, I do a clear cmos, with another AGP card, it was geforce fx5500 agp 1x-2x-4x compatibility. set to 4x in bios

it bootup to bios without problem on the geforce, then I change priority from pci to agp, 4x is by default, agp comp driving set to EA but I tried with automatic, it also worked.

Here is my story. I tried to build an old p4, I tried many video card, I knew those 4x-8x can't work on the system, but I tried the 9600xt and it worked the first time.. but when the computer crashed it was not able to bootup again on this card, the onboard S3 was booting instead...

So I spend many many hours trying everything...

I been able to get in work another time... but I didn't knew why and when it crashed or when I unplug the powersupply cable, it was not working....

so I think the key is to

1- install an agp card 1x-2x-4x ( those with 2 slices on the connector)
2- clear cmos with the jumper
3-go into the bios, change setting, 4x, AGP priority, could try agp comp driving to EA
4- don't unplug your power cable, just power off and install your AGP 4x-8x card.
5- reboot and be amazed if it works....... be sure that you plug your agp card correctly, you can try many time, it's like an old NES

b623

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
WEIRD WEIRD WEIRD!!!!!

it doesn't work anymore,

but after 2hours, of big tabarnak de criss

I booted with the fx5500 agp 1x-2x-4x, the computer crashed,
then I shutdown the comp, I installed the 9600xt, I was angry so I was hard on it. and it just works.

so, I just don't know why it works again.,..........