handset manager V7 for Motorola phone - modem problem

I have installed handset manager V7 for my motorola
V525. the system cannot connect to the handset. having
spoken with the supplier it was suggested that the modem
had installed and that the cable was faulty. i have
replaced the cable but still no luck. having searched i
have found that the modem has been allocated com port
10. when i look up the modem in phone monito otions Com
10 is disabled. although I have changed it to enabled
and clicked apply it does not stay enabled.

Could this be my problem? i have spent a month trying to
get this right but noone seems to be able to solve it!!
any help would be great.
More about handset manager motorola phone modem problem

    mobile phone sony ericsson is still showing in control
    panel although it has been uninstalled. shwoing as
    mobile phone options. I cannot delete this from my
    control panel. how do i do this?? in addition there is
    an icon for ericsson mobile phone modem settings. I
    cannnot change anything in these two but cannot remove
    them. they must be causing the conflicts. Any help it
    is driving me insane although I may already be insane!!

Modem Motorola Windows XP