My problem is this

Sound control panel says that there is no audio device installed no playback
and no
Mixer devie either
I have the latest drivers for my mobo and chipset i have tried uninstalling
the device and restarting it says that its there and working fine in the
device manager but in the Sound config its a no go.

I have a VIA 8235 chipset

I am going to assume the sound is integrated with the motherboard. You
may need to make sure the sound is enabled in the BIOS and try these
drivers:
http://www.viaarena.com/downloads/drivers/audio/550a/Vinyl_AudioCodec_V550a.zip

It appears to be seperate from the chipset drivers.

-----
Nathan McNulty

routerkid wrote:
> My problem is this
>
> Sound control panel says that there is no audio device installed no playback
> and no
> Mixer devie either
> I have the latest drivers for my mobo and chipset i have tried uninstalling
> the device and restarting it says that its there and working fine in the
> device manager but in the Sound config its a no go.
>

> I have a VIA 8235 chipset

i have done all of those things and its still a no go I dont know what the
heck i should do

I was using virtual PC the other day , I have Linspire installed on a
virtual drive.
I was trying to map the sound through to the emulated machine and it said
that I was using the wrong ALSA config and now its.

So i am assuming that it may ahve something to do with the Virtual Machine
twisting my config on the windows side

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> I am going to assume the sound is integrated with the motherboard. You
> may need to make sure the sound is enabled in the BIOS and try these
> drivers:
> http://www.viaarena.com/downloads/drivers/audio/550a/Vinyl_AudioCodec_V550a.zip
>
> It appears to be seperate from the chipset drivers.
>
> -----
> Nathan McNulty
>
> routerkid wrote:
> > My problem is this
> >
> > Sound control panel says that there is no audio device installed no playback
> > and no
> > Mixer devie either
> > I have the latest drivers for my mobo and chipset i have tried uninstalling
> > the device and restarting it says that its there and working fine in the
> > device manager but in the Sound config its a no go.
> >

> > I have a VIA 8235 chipset

That is actually quite possible. I have had some odd things happen with
Virtual PC even though it isn't supposed to do anything to the Windows
side :(

-----
Nathan McNulty

routerkid wrote:
> i have done all of those things and its still a no go I dont know what the
> heck i should do
>
> I was using virtual PC the other day , I have Linspire installed on a
> virtual drive.
> I was trying to map the sound through to the emulated machine and it said
> that I was using the wrong ALSA config and now its.
>
> So i am assuming that it may ahve something to do with the Virtual Machine
> twisting my config on the windows side
>
> "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>

>>I am going to assume the sound is integrated with the motherboard. You
>>may need to make sure the sound is enabled in the BIOS and try these
>>drivers:
>>http://www.viaarena.com/downloads/drivers/audio/550a/Vinyl_AudioCodec_V550a.zip
>>
>>It appears to be seperate from the chipset drivers.
>>
>>-----
>>Nathan McNulty
>>
>>routerkid wrote:
>>
>>>My problem is this
>>>
>>>Sound control panel says that there is no audio device installed no playback
>>>and no
>>>Mixer devie either
>>> I have the latest drivers for my mobo and chipset i have tried uninstalling
>>>the device and restarting it says that its there and working fine in the
>>>device manager but in the Sound config its a no go.
>>>

>>>I have a VIA 8235 chipset

The solution is described at
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1066427444 and I repeat the brief
version below (you need to reinstall the driver swenum.sys but first you must
create a .inf file for it):

"copy machine.inf from %windir%\inf to a temp dir
remove line 20: ExcludeFromSelect=*
add new hardware have disk (select the temp dir with the modified
machine.inf) and install the plug and play software enumerator"