Closed

How come there is no Unallocated Space on drive?

I'm trying to partition my C drive (I only have 1 HD, is
system and boot drive...), problem is, on the bar, there is
no unallocated space, which SHOULD BE black...
and ur meant to righ-click the unallocated space to create
a new partition...

also, if u use the command method, it says there is 0 gb
free space, whereas I have 5 gigs free. Please help :(
5 answers Last reply
More about unallocated space drive

    "Me" <fi3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to partition my C drive (I only have 1 HD, is
    > system and boot drive...), problem is, on the bar, there is
    > no unallocated space, which SHOULD BE black...
    > and ur meant to righ-click the unallocated space to create
    > a new partition...
    >
    > also, if u use the command method, it says there is 0 gb
    > free space, whereas I have 5 gigs free. Please help :(

    If i understand correctly you need to run FDISK from DOS.

    If yr saying yr trying to partition yr only hd, from within win, you cannot.
    To partition a sys disk you need a third party tool, eg Partition Magic
    You can used the winxp cd to partition yr sys hd, you will lose ALL files,
    prior to installing win.

    "Me" <fi3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to partition my C drive (I only have 1 HD, is
    > system and boot drive...), problem is, on the bar, there is
    > no unallocated space, which SHOULD BE black...
    > and ur meant to righ-click the unallocated space to create
    > a new partition...
    >
    > also, if u use the command method, it says there is 0 gb
    > free space, whereas I have 5 gigs free. Please help :(

    The post is a bit confusing. Do you mean that in Disk Management there
    appears to be some unallocated space, but you can't turn it into a
    partition? You can change the sizes of partitions without a 3rd party
    utility, like if you wanted to split a partition into two.

    I think the OP is getting confused with unallocated disk space and free
    disk space. They are not the same thing. Unallocated disk space is
    space that has not been partitioned or formatted. Free disk space is
    part of a partition that has been formatted and has no data on it yet.

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    "Me" <fi3r@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I'm trying to partition my C drive (I only have 1 HD, is
    >system and boot drive...), problem is, on the bar, there is
    >no unallocated space, which SHOULD BE black...
    >and ur meant to righ-click the unallocated space to create
    >a new partition...
    >
    >also, if u use the command method, it says there is 0 gb
    >free space, whereas I have 5 gigs free. Please help :(

    In order to create a new partition there must be space on the hard
    drive that is not already allocated to an existing partition.

    If you are looking at the properties of Drive C: then that will show
    you how much of the space allocated to drive C: that has not been
    used.

    In order to take advantage of the unused space on drive C: for
    creating another partition you must first use a disk partitioning
    utility such as Partition Magic (Symantec) or BootIt Next Generation
    (www.bootitng.com) to reduce the size of drive C:, thereby creating
    some unallocated space. You can then create a new partition in this
    unallocated space.

    WARNING #1: All operations that involve changes to the existing
    partition structure of a hard drive involve some risk, so you need to
    ensure that all critical data has been backed up properly before
    making any such changes.

    WARNING #2: If your drive C: has only 5 gb of unused space it is
    already quite close to becoming full. Reducing the size of drive C:
    to create an new partition will only accelerate the onset of "disk
    full" problems with this drive. Given that hard drives are quite
    literally "cheaper than dirt" these days you should be giving serious
    thought to acquiring another hard drive, either a larger one to
    replace what you have or just a second hard drive to be installed as
    such.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --