Closed

How come there is no Unallocated Space on drive?

October 4, 2004 10:16:42 AM

I'm trying to partition my C drive (I only have 1 HD, is
system and boot drive...), problem is, on the bar, there is
no unallocated space, which SHOULD BE black...
and ur meant to righ-click the unallocated space to create
a new partition...

also, if u use the command method, it says there is 0 gb
free space, whereas I have 5 gigs free. Please help :(
October 4, 2004 7:10:59 PM

"Me" <fi3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to partition my C drive (I only have 1 HD, is
> system and boot drive...), problem is, on the bar, there is
> no unallocated space, which SHOULD BE black...
> and ur meant to righ-click the unallocated space to create
> a new partition...
>
> also, if u use the command method, it says there is 0 gb
> free space, whereas I have 5 gigs free. Please help :(

If i understand correctly you need to run FDISK from DOS.
October 4, 2004 9:41:37 PM

If yr saying yr trying to partition yr only hd, from within win, you cannot.
To partition a sys disk you need a third party tool, eg Partition Magic
You can used the winxp cd to partition yr sys hd, you will lose ALL files,
prior to installing win.

"Me" <fi3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to partition my C drive (I only have 1 HD, is
> system and boot drive...), problem is, on the bar, there is
> no unallocated space, which SHOULD BE black...
> and ur meant to righ-click the unallocated space to create
> a new partition...
>
> also, if u use the command method, it says there is 0 gb
> free space, whereas I have 5 gigs free. Please help :(
October 4, 2004 9:41:38 PM

The post is a bit confusing. Do you mean that in Disk Management there
appears to be some unallocated space, but you can't turn it into a
partition? You can change the sizes of partitions without a 3rd party
utility, like if you wanted to split a partition into two.

I think the OP is getting confused with unallocated disk space and free
disk space. They are not the same thing. Unallocated disk space is
space that has not been partitioned or formatted. Free disk space is
part of a partition that has been formatted and has no data on it yet.

-----
Nathan McNulty

DL wrote:
> If yr saying yr trying to partition yr only hd, from within win, you cannot.
> To partition a sys disk you need a third party tool, eg Partition Magic
> You can used the winxp cd to partition yr sys hd, you will lose ALL files,
> prior to installing win.
>
> "Me" <fi3r@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I'm trying to partition my C drive (I only have 1 HD, is
>>system and boot drive...), problem is, on the bar, there is
>>no unallocated space, which SHOULD BE black...
>>and ur meant to righ-click the unallocated space to create
>>a new partition...
>>
>>also, if u use the command method, it says there is 0 gb
>>free space, whereas I have 5 gigs free. Please help :(

Anonymous
October 5, 2004 9:44:29 AM

"Me" <fi3r@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I'm trying to partition my C drive (I only have 1 HD, is
>system and boot drive...), problem is, on the bar, there is
>no unallocated space, which SHOULD BE black...
>and ur meant to righ-click the unallocated space to create
>a new partition...
>
>also, if u use the command method, it says there is 0 gb
>free space, whereas I have 5 gigs free. Please help :(

In order to create a new partition there must be space on the hard
drive that is not already allocated to an existing partition.

If you are looking at the properties of Drive C: then that will show
you how much of the space allocated to drive C: that has not been
used.

In order to take advantage of the unused space on drive C: for
creating another partition you must first use a disk partitioning
utility such as Partition Magic (Symantec) or BootIt Next Generation
(www.bootitng.com) to reduce the size of drive C:, thereby creating
some unallocated space. You can then create a new partition in this
unallocated space.

WARNING #1: All operations that involve changes to the existing
partition structure of a hard drive involve some risk, so you need to
ensure that all critical data has been backed up properly before
making any such changes.

WARNING #2: If your drive C: has only 5 gb of unused space it is
already quite close to becoming full. Reducing the size of drive C:
to create an new partition will only accelerate the onset of "disk
full" problems with this drive. Given that hard drives are quite
literally "cheaper than dirt" these days you should be giving serious
thought to acquiring another hard drive, either a larger one to
replace what you have or just a second hard drive to be installed as
such.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--