K7S5A will only POST after waiting an hour

My K7S5A decided today that it would not start up, so I opened the PC up and
checked all the connections - but it still would not POST. The fans run and
various LEDs show, but nothing happens on screen.

After a while I tried again, and this time it *did* start (?!), so I got
into the BIOS and checked the settings there. On leaving the BIOS settings,
the machine again failed to POST. And so it goes ... after a few repeats of
this cycle, it does seem to be that it will only POST after being left alone
for about an hour.

Does this make any sense? Is there some setting somewhere that resets
itself after a while and allows me to start the machine up? Is the mobo
about to die? Is the PSU failing, maybe, or does that have a cutout that's
causing the problem? Its an Antec True 380W.

Hope someone can help ... I'm about to change the mobo but I'd obviously
prefer not to.

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

Martin Taylor wrote:
> My K7S5A decided today that it would not start up, so I opened the PC up and
> checked all the connections - but it still would not POST. The fans run and
> various LEDs show, but nothing happens on screen.
>
> After a while I tried again, and this time it *did* start (?!), so I got
> into the BIOS and checked the settings there. On leaving the BIOS settings,
> the machine again failed to POST. And so it goes ... after a few repeats of
> this cycle, it does seem to be that it will only POST after being left alone
> for about an hour.
>
> Does this make any sense? Is there some setting somewhere that resets
> itself after a while and allows me to start the machine up? Is the mobo
> about to die? Is the PSU failing, maybe, or does that have a cutout that's
> causing the problem? Its an Antec True 380W.
>
> Hope someone can help ... I'm about to change the mobo but I'd obviously
> prefer not to.

Your problem could be a lot of different things, but the most likely is
that there is a poor connection somewhere in a critical area and
temperature is effecting that connection. (When you said fans are
running, I assume the CPU fan is also running.) Such an area could be
the power connector from the PS to the MB, a poor connection to the
processor, or even a poor connection for the RAM. (These suggestions
assume that your problem is not the video card connection and that you
are NOT receiving any beeps when trying to start the computer. If the
beeps are there, then try reseating the video card also.) First try
reseating your RAM and then the PS cable connector as there is little
chance of doing any damage with them.

FWIW, I just tried a different PSU and it makes no difference, so it's
something on the mobo or in the BIOS that's causing the problem.

"Martin Taylor" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> My K7S5A decided today that it would not start up, so I opened the PC up
and
> checked all the connections - but it still would not POST. The fans run
and
> various LEDs show, but nothing happens on screen.
>
> After a while I tried again, and this time it *did* start (?!), so I got
> into the BIOS and checked the settings there. On leaving the BIOS
settings,
> the machine again failed to POST. And so it goes ... after a few repeats
of
> this cycle, it does seem to be that it will only POST after being left
alone
> for about an hour.
>
> Does this make any sense? Is there some setting somewhere that resets
> itself after a while and allows me to start the machine up? Is the mobo
> about to die? Is the PSU failing, maybe, or does that have a cutout
that's
> causing the problem? Its an Antec True 380W.
>
> Hope someone can help ... I'm about to change the mobo but I'd obviously
> prefer not to.

Ken

Thanks for the reply :). I am (fingers crossed) up and running again,
having used Jumper 4 to clear the CMOS. Although whether that actually
cured the problem or not is debatable, I guess. I read on the forum over at
HoneyX's site that someone found that removing the CMOS battery overnight,
and then replacing it in the morning, made a non-POSTing machine work again.
Like you say, there's too many possible reasons.

Martin