Message: USB Device not recognized, there is no USB device

I continulally get a bubble that states a USM device is not recognized. The
problem is there is not USB device attqched. If I remove the device or delete
Windows reacts as if it has detected new hardware and reloads the unkonw
device and we start all over again.

--
Rlof
4 answers Last reply

    What devices do you have connected to the computer? Have you actually
    installed your USB drivers? It may not be a USB Device, but the USB
    controller itself that it is trying to install.

    -----
    Nathan McNulty

    RLof wrote:
    > I continulally get a bubble that states a USM device is not recognized. The
    > problem is there is not USB device attqched. If I remove the device or delete
    > Windows reacts as if it has detected new hardware and reloads the unkonw
    > device and we start all over again.

    The only usb device I have attached is an HP printer but it is only connected
    when I am at my docking station but the bubble happens whether I am at the
    station or not.

    "RLof" wrote:

    > I continulally get a bubble that states a USM device is not recognized. The
    > problem is there is not USB device attqched. If I remove the device or delete
    > Windows reacts as if it has detected new hardware and reloads the unkonw
    > device and we start all over again.

    I'm having the same problem. It started to occur after installing Service
    Pack 2, although after uninstalling, I'm still having it happen. Toshiba tech
    support advises my registry is corrupted and the only solution is a hard
    drive reformat. This seems a little radical so I'm hoping somebody out there
    has a gentler solution.

    sounds like a hardware problem... if the message occurs with no usb
    cable attached, it's a computer detect problem no matter what Toshiba
    says...

    If it occurs with a hub or cable connected, would suspect a short or
    other problem in them.

    If you are using a usb mouse or keyboard, remove them as well.

    Check all the usb ports with a magnifier and strong light to assure that
    nothing is lodged in the port, and, if not and the problem is there with
    nothing connected, push to escalate within Toshiba's tech support. The
    "detect process" goes to the registry _after_ a device is connected.

    If they press you for a registry replacement, offer to export it to a
    text file and send it to them (note... there may be private data in the
    output.)

    Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Hardware USB Devices Windows XP