  • Memory
  • Windows XP
a b } Memory
October 4, 2004 12:39:05 PM

Hi everybody,
I'm having a really weird problem with my PC...when I install software (like
Nero,MusicMatch, Acrobat etc) it'll run them for a couple of timesbut then
it'll pop up an DOSlike window saying the program is too big to fit in
memory...if I reinstall the program it'll work again for a while but then
nothing.....I'm using XP but I had pretty much the same issue with Wndows98
but the message in 98 was "not enough conventional memory". I've tried pretty
much everything from messing with BIOS or virtual memory....nothing works...I
have 64MBs of RAM which used to be more than enough for my needs withXP or
98....this problem just occured overnight...so any help would be greatly
appreciated...

Thanks in advance

More about : memory problem

Anonymous
a b } Memory
October 4, 2004 5:25:32 PM

64 MB of RAM should not allow XP to run correctly. I believe that 128MB of
RAM is the base limit of memory needed to run XP, with all the services and
start-up programs running.

Y.

"Zois" <Zois@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everybody,
> I'm having a really weird problem with my PC...when I install software
> (like
> Nero,MusicMatch, Acrobat etc) it'll run them for a couple of timesbut then
> it'll pop up an DOSlike window saying the program is too big to fit in
> memory...if I reinstall the program it'll work again for a while but then
> nothing.....I'm using XP but I had pretty much the same issue with
> Wndows98
> but the message in 98 was "not enough conventional memory". I've tried
> pretty
> much everything from messing with BIOS or virtual memory....nothing
> works...I
> have 64MBs of RAM which used to be more than enough for my needs withXP or
> 98....this problem just occured overnight...so any help would be greatly
> appreciated...
>
> Thanks in advance
Anonymous
a b } Memory
October 5, 2004 3:06:01 AM

It is possible to get it to run on 64 MB of RAM, but it will run
extremely slow and you are going to run into the same problems you are
seeing. I would highly recommend taking a look at the computer you are
using and decide if it is worth it to purchase more memory or purchase a
new computer. Anything slower than 500 MHz, I would not even consider
upgrading.

-----
Nathan McNulty