Peer to Peer connection of two Laptops

I have connected Laptop1 (running WinXP) Laptop2
(running Win2000 Prof) with a cross Network cable for
file transfer. But I donot see each other after
connecting. Sharing is enabled both sides.

I used cross cable as detailed in
http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/hubsw.htm
I still see "Media disconnected" if I issue a ipconfig
command in bother the Laptops. I changed the cross cable
from three vendors. Still I see same error. I think
unless I resolve this issue I cannot proceed further. Any
advise?

Hello Tim,

Have you set your two laptops up with IP addresses? If not they will not be
able to "find" each other.
http://www.cae.wisc.edu/software/tethered/config/xpconfig.shtml
If they both have IP addresses make sure they are in the same work groups,
if that still isn't it try running the Network Set Up wizard.

Michael Ortega
"Tim Jol" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have connected Laptop1 (running WinXP) Laptop2
> (running Win2000 Prof) with a cross Network cable for
> file transfer. But I donot see each other after
> connecting. Sharing is enabled both sides.
>
> I used cross cable as detailed in
> http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/hubsw.htm
> I still see "Media disconnected" if I issue a ipconfig
> command in bother the Laptops. I changed the cross cable
> from three vendors. Still I see same error. I think
> unless I resolve this issue I cannot proceed further. Any
> advise?

Open properties of both netcards and go to Advanced tab.
Look for parameters like Link speed and Duplex (names can vary).
Write down the current settings, and change them to 10 mbps, Half duplex.
Click OK.
Then re-connect the cable.
When done, restore original settngs.

--PA

"Tim Jol" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:368701c4aa29$233fa090$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> I have connected Laptop1 (running WinXP) Laptop2
> (running Win2000 Prof) with a cross Network cable for
> file transfer. But I donot see each other after
> connecting. Sharing is enabled both sides.
>
> I used cross cable as detailed in
> http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/hubsw.htm
> I still see "Media disconnected" if I issue a ipconfig
> command in bother the Laptops. I changed the cross cable
> from three vendors. Still I see same error. I think
> unless I resolve this issue I cannot proceed further. Any
> advise?

Michael,
There's no need to run the setup wizard in this case.
Tim wrote that he sees "cable disconnected". Until this is fixed,
nothing will help.

Regards
--PA