PC is Freezing after a few hours

jeff

I have a Soyo Dragon MB. When I purchased this barebone
kit I had initially had a celeron 2.4ghz and a Nividia
64mb video card on the PCI slot. I did not change anyting
else but these two componets because the case may be when
DOOM 3 came out i could not even play it with what I have
it was jsut two slow. I also have 2 sticks of RAM 1gb for
both one is a ultra 512mb pc2700 that was recommended by
tigerdirect when I purchased the PC and then I purchased a
corsair 512mb I dont know what it is running at but I know
now that it is not compatible with my system since I have
upgraded the processor to a P4 2.8ghz and the video card
to a ATI radeon pro 128mb. I can not figure out for the
life of me why it keeps freezing. I have XP pro SP2 and
it seems when I run my third party utility with a java
plug in that is recommended while I am downloading it will
jsut freeze. I have the Bios set to autodetect the cpu
speed with the memory which is set at 333MHZ. Please
help.

First off, you need to install the proper drivers for each component.
Second, you may want to check the heat inside your computer. As for
this 3rd party utility that you are using to download with, ditch it if
it is causing Windows to freeze. With Service Pack 2, you should not
need a downloading utiltiy anyways since IE 6 allows for resuming files.
If you are talking about a BitTorrent\P2P program such as Azureus or
eDonkey, then this is not a plug in, but a whole application. You may
want to check for an updated version of whatever software you are using.

I would recommend sticking that Corsair memory back in as that memory is
far superior to anything Ultra puts out. You seem to mention that the
memory worked before you upgraded the processor (which should not affect
the memory). It doesn't matter what the rated speed is for the Corsair
since it will run at 333 MHz along with the Ultra memory as long as it
is at least 333 MHz rated (meaning the memory is backwards compatible).
You may need to update the BIOS on your motherboard which you can
obtain from Soyo's website. I would also recommend installing the latest
drivers from www.omegadrivers.net for your video card when you are
updating all of the drivers ;)

-----
Nathan McNulty

Jeff wrote:
> I have a Soyo Dragon MB. When I purchased this barebone
> kit I had initially had a celeron 2.4ghz and a Nividia
> 64mb video card on the PCI slot. I did not change anyting
> else but these two componets because the case may be when
> DOOM 3 came out i could not even play it with what I have
> it was jsut two slow. I also have 2 sticks of RAM 1gb for
> both one is a ultra 512mb pc2700 that was recommended by
> tigerdirect when I purchased the PC and then I purchased a
> corsair 512mb I dont know what it is running at but I know
> now that it is not compatible with my system since I have
> upgraded the processor to a P4 2.8ghz and the video card
> to a ATI radeon pro 128mb. I can not figure out for the
> life of me why it keeps freezing. I have XP pro SP2 and
> it seems when I run my third party utility with a java
> plug in that is recommended while I am downloading it will
> jsut freeze. I have the Bios set to autodetect the cpu
> speed with the memory which is set at 333MHZ. Please
> help.

jeff

Thank you for your info and I have already considered all
those avenues but the problem is that I have already
flashed the BIOS, I have the latest and greatest updates
from ATI, CREATIVE and also Windows. I can not update the
Onborad LAN as it is updated already with the latest
drivers for the ethernet card. As far as the HARD drives
I have which are Maxtor, Seagate and Western digital I can
not locate any drivers for those. Well when I insert the
new CPU the bios should jsut automatically set the
configurations for the most optimized and you are right
the memory should not matter but to no avail I still get
the same issue. Yes I do use azurus and that is not the
issue as it works fine under my old CPU 2.4ghz. I also
have the latest of azureus as well and the Java plug in
that you have to have with azureus. My question would be
then should I flash the Bios with the new CPU installed or
it should not matter.

It should automatically detect and set the proper settings for the new
CPU. There is no plug in necessary to make Azureus work, so I would
uninstall whatever plug in your are using. Instead, just make Azureus
the default application for .torrent files. This may be your problem is
that plug in :)

-----
Nathan McNulty