VPN problems with wireless router & Microsoft MN-720 netwo..

I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. I have a laptop running
Windows 2000 and use a Microsoft MN-720 802.11g wireless network
adapter. I use 128-bit WEP encryption. When I connect directly to the
internet everything works fine. However, when I use my company's VPN
software to connect to my company internally I have intermittent Web
access problems. Everything else works fine: Microsoft Exchange email,
connection to network drives, instant messaging, Microsoft Netmeeting,
etc.

With Web access, sometimes everything works fine. Sometimes I can
connect to my company's intranet, but not to the internet. Sometimes
the opposite is true. Sometimes when I first start a VPN session,
everything is fine, but after a while I lose either the internet or
intranet. Often closing and restarting my VPN session will restore
access. I can find no rhyme or reason to access or lack thereof.

What is strange is that yesterday, out of extreme frustration, I
disconnected the wireless, grabbed an Ethernet cable and plugged my
laptop directly into the router. After that I had no problems at all
with either intranet or internet connections.

Is there a wireless setting on the router I should change?

Mike Christie
mike [at] csquared [dot] com
1 answer Last reply
More about problems wireless router microsoft netwo

    If the connectivity problems affect Web browsing only, my prime suspect
    would be the browser configuration for Web proxies. Try verious manual
    settings for your ISP/your corporate proxy, see if you'll achieve stable
    behaviour.

    I reckon the problems you have are notrelated to wireless connectivity.

    --
    Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MVP, MCSE
    -= F1 is the key =-

    <Mike Christie> wrote in message
    > I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. I have a laptop running
    > Windows 2000 and use a Microsoft MN-720 802.11g wireless network
    > adapter. I use 128-bit WEP encryption. When I connect directly to the
    > internet everything works fine. However, when I use my company's VPN
    > software to connect to my company internally I have intermittent Web
    > access problems. Everything else works fine: Microsoft Exchange email,
    > connection to network drives, instant messaging, Microsoft Netmeeting,
    > etc.
    >
    > With Web access, sometimes everything works fine. Sometimes I can
    > connect to my company's intranet, but not to the internet. Sometimes
    > the opposite is true. Sometimes when I first start a VPN session,
    > everything is fine, but after a while I lose either the internet or
    > intranet. Often closing and restarting my VPN session will restore
    > access. I can find no rhyme or reason to access or lack thereof.
    >
    > What is strange is that yesterday, out of extreme frustration, I
    > disconnected the wireless, grabbed an Ethernet cable and plugged my
    > laptop directly into the router. After that I had no problems at all
    > with either intranet or internet connections.
    >
    > Is there a wireless setting on the router I should change?
    >

    > Mike Christie
    > mike [at] csquared [dot] com

Wireless Router Connection Microsoft Wireless Networking