Two CDROM drives with code 39

I run Windows XP SP2. When XP is launched, it detect
correctly the two drives. They are visible for four
seconds and they disappear. In the device manager, they
show with an exclamation mark and code 39. The drives are
generic cdroms and the drivers listed in device manager
are all genuine generic Windows drivers version SP2. When
I unsinstall the drives and scan for updates, the same
thing repeats itself.

If I unsinstall and reinstall the drives and I access any
of the two drives within the 4 second period they are
visible, The unit I accessed is working perfectly for as
long as the computer is on. Next time I restart the
computer the working one desappears again.

The two drives used to work perfectly until I had a blue
screen and had to reload XP followed by SP1. At that point
I had many WMI related problems but the cdroms were ok. I
do not recall what lead to the drives failure. I suspect
registry changes. I then uninstalled Nero and Incd and
still no change. When SP2 became available, I installed
it and it fixed all of my other problems (all WMI related)
except for the cd drives. I then removed all references
to the software Nero and incd in the registry and on the
hard disk with no effect.

There is no upper and lowerfilter keys in the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{
4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 key.

I suspect the problem is here...When I uninstall the two
cdroms and check the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\IDE It
shows one of my two drives and I cannot delete it. If I
reinstall the drives, One drive shows twice and the other
drive shows once. What ever I try, I cannot delete the
redondant copy of one of my drive.

Any suggestions????
Thanks

First, uninstall both drives from Device Manager. Then open Regedit
again and navigate to the location you mentioned in your post. Right
click on the key and click Permissions, then check allow full control.
Now you can delete the key, then reboot and let it reinstall everything :)

-----
Nathan McNulty