MI stuff [ON TOPIC!! WOO!]

Kris

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

I was talking on the phone to a customer tonight about Monkey Island and
such. It was grand. We both agreed that Guybrush Threepwood is
awesome, and the songs were awesome, etc etc etc.

I'm tired and rambling.

Anyway. I think the question I have is how many people actually played
MI4 and enjoyed it? I have played 5 minutes of it, and I don't know if
I should even bother doing the rest.

And I'm too lazy to Google it ;)

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 02:24:55 -0400, Kris wrote:

> I was talking on the phone to a customer tonight about Monkey Island and
> such. It was grand. We both agreed that Guybrush Threepwood is
> awesome, and the songs were awesome, etc etc etc.
>
> I'm tired and rambling.
>
> Anyway. I think the question I have is how many people actually played
> MI4 and enjoyed it? I have played 5 minutes of it, and I don't know if
> I should even bother doing the rest.
>
> And I'm too lazy to Google it ;)

EMI is, largely, disappointing. While the voice acting is hilarious and
well-acted as usual the script appears to have been recycled from every
other LucasArts game; the transition to 3D doesn't suit the game at all and
the control system is fiddly and counter-intuitive; the puzzles are
sometimes poorly thought-out; moreover the game itself feels like a cheap
imitation of itself, if you get what I mean. During play it's often
difficult to relate the game to its predecessor.

On balance I'd say it's worth playing through once, if anything for the few
new gags, the interesting new characters and Dom's spot-on characterisation
of Guybrush. Unfortunately unlike CMI it's not exactly a classic, and you
won't find yourself quoting lines for days afterward. If you'd care to
remind yourself what a true MI successor should be like, head over to the
Scumm Bar and listen to the various MI5 fakes that they produced (with the
help of Dom!) for April Fools' day.

Sean wrote:

>> Ah, okay. Well ... I'll try it for the dialogue :)
>

> Monkeys! Monkeys! It's full of the monkeys!

IS THAT THE REAL SECRET BEHIND MONKEY ISLAND?! HUH, SEAN, HUH?!

Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

Earlier Kris muttered:

>>> Ah, okay. Well ... I'll try it for the dialogue :)
>>

>> Monkeys! Monkeys! It's full of the monkeys!
>
>IS THAT THE REAL SECRET BEHIND MONKEY ISLAND?! HUH, SEAN, HUH?!

As far as I can tell, the real secret of monkey island will never come
out in the games, since the secret is in Ron's head, and he only made
the first two games. Game number 3 took a different direction, so
Ron's secret can not be made to fit with the games anymore...

--
pixel - knight of aglami
www.warande.net/~pixel

Sean

Pixel "#~ wrote:

>>>Monkeys! Monkeys! It's full of the monkeys!
>>
>>IS THAT THE REAL SECRET BEHIND MONKEY ISLAND?! HUH, SEAN, HUH?!
>
> As far as I can tell, the real secret of monkey island will never come
> out in the games, since the secret is in Ron's head, and he only made
> the first two games. Game number 3 took a different direction, so
> Ron's secret can not be made to fit with the games anymore...

That OR it was just the whole "portal to heck, also an underground lair
for undead pirates" thing. The "secret" wasn't even mentioned ingame, no
one's ever said it had to be some kind of mysterious revelation, just
that Monkey Island has some mysterious and adventurous things going for it.

Orin wrote:

>>I was talking on the phone to a customer tonight about Monkey Island and
>>such. It was grand. We both agreed that Guybrush Threepwood is
>>awesome, and the songs were awesome, etc etc etc.
>>
>>I'm tired and rambling.
>>
>>Anyway. I think the question I have is how many people actually played
>>MI4 and enjoyed it? I have played 5 minutes of it, and I don't know if
>>I should even bother doing the rest.
>>
>>And I'm too lazy to Google it ;)
>

> EMI is, largely, disappointing. While the voice acting is hilarious and
> well-acted as usual the script appears to have been recycled from every
> other LucasArts game; the transition to 3D doesn't suit the game at all and
> the control system is fiddly and counter-intuitive; the puzzles are
> sometimes poorly thought-out; moreover the game itself feels like a cheap
> imitation of itself, if you get what I mean. During play it's often
> difficult to relate the game to its predecessor.
>
> On balance I'd say it's worth playing through once, if anything for the few
> new gags, the interesting new characters and Dom's spot-on characterisation
> of Guybrush. Unfortunately unlike CMI it's not exactly a classic, and you
> won't find yourself quoting lines for days afterward. If you'd care to
> remind yourself what a true MI successor should be like, head over to the
> Scumm Bar and listen to the various MI5 fakes that they produced (with the
> help of Dom!) for April Fools' day.

Oh, this is probably a good time to mention this:
http://www.mixnmojo.com/php/news/showfile.php?id=1719&category=lucasartsnews

Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

Earlier Sean muttered:

>> EMI is, largely, disappointing. While the voice acting is hilarious and
>> well-acted as usual the script appears to have been recycled from every
>> other LucasArts game; the transition to 3D doesn't suit the game at all and
>> the control system is fiddly and counter-intuitive; the puzzles are
>> sometimes poorly thought-out; moreover the game itself feels like a cheap
>> imitation of itself, if you get what I mean. During play it's often
>> difficult to relate the game to its predecessor.
>>
>> On balance I'd say it's worth playing through once, if anything for the few
>> new gags, the interesting new characters and Dom's spot-on characterisation
>> of Guybrush. Unfortunately unlike CMI it's not exactly a classic, and you
>> won't find yourself quoting lines for days afterward. If you'd care to
>> remind yourself what a true MI successor should be like, head over to the
>> Scumm Bar and listen to the various MI5 fakes that they produced (with the
>> help of Dom!) for April Fools' day.
>
>Oh, this is probably a good time to mention this:
>http://www.mixnmojo.com/php/news/showfile.php?id=1719&category=lucasartsnews

Bastards!

--

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:52:16 +0100, Sean wrote:

>> On balance I'd say it's worth playing through once, if anything for the few
>> new gags, the interesting new characters and Dom's spot-on characterisation
>> of Guybrush. Unfortunately unlike CMI it's not exactly a classic, and you
>> won't find yourself quoting lines for days afterward. If you'd care to
>> remind yourself what a true MI successor should be like, head over to the
>> Scumm Bar and listen to the various MI5 fakes that they produced (with the
>> help of Dom!) for April Fools' day.
>
> Oh, this is probably a good time to mention this:
> http://www.mixnmojo.com/php/news/showfile.php?id=1719&category=lucasartsnews

So... what LucasArts are saying is:

A) No more sequels
B) Shitloads more Star Wars and Indiana Jones games. Contradictory much?

kasper

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2004
Archived from groups: alt.games.lucas-arts.monkey-island (More info?)

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:29:19 +0100, "Pixel \"#~"
<jjwweerrff@phil.uu.nl> wrote:

>>So... what LucasArts are saying is:
>>
>>A) No more sequels
>>B) Shitloads more Star Wars and Indiana Jones games. Contradictory much?
>
>They've surely gone mad, and forgot to mention it to everybody!

I think this is the problem:

"Jim Ward is President of LucasArts and Vice President of Marketing
and Distribution at Lucasfilm Ltd...."

They put a marketing guy in charge.

--
Kasper

On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 14:50:55 +0100, Kasper <nospam@thanks.com> wrote:

>>>So... what LucasArts are saying is:
>>>
>>>A) No more sequels
>>>B) Shitloads more Star Wars and Indiana Jones games. Contradictory much?
>>
>>They've surely gone mad, and forgot to mention it to everybody!
>
>I think this is the problem:
>
>"Jim Ward is President of LucasArts and Vice President of Marketing
>and Distribution at Lucasfilm Ltd...."
>
>They put a marketing guy in charge.

Lets launch a paypall account to pay for a hitman.