ECS KT600-A? Good or Bad?

Any experiences with a an ECS KT600-A? Good or Bad?

I swore no more ECS boards after my K7S5A, but I need a cheap board for
light to medium use for my tweenager kid (schoolwork, educational games,
some graphic work, but not a workhorse machine or heavy gamer). I wanted
another ASRock K7S8XE+ but I'll be hanged if I can find anymore out there
(US). It appears that I can get the ECS KT600-A with an XP 3000+ 400FSB and
fan for $153US and can use the 3000 in my main machine and put my old Duron
1.3 in the ECS board for the kid.

My last ECS had issues with being incerdibly picky about RAM and a flakey
CMOS and such that developed over time as the caps cooked and don't want a
repeat of that.

What about Syntax SV400 or SV266AD (I can get the latter with a 2600+@266
darned cheap, but it's a poor third choice)?

Any other good economy deals for a light duty machine out there with an
XP3000 or something over the 2 gig threshold??????

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

I just got one off Ebay. ($50) Put a Semtron 2200 in it so far so good.

Brian

"Jess Fertudei" <not@this.juncture.com> wrote in message
> Any experiences with a an ECS KT600-A? Good or Bad?
>
> I swore no more ECS boards after my K7S5A, but I need a cheap board for
> light to medium use for my tweenager kid (schoolwork, educational games,
> some graphic work, but not a workhorse machine or heavy gamer). I wanted
> another ASRock K7S8XE+ but I'll be hanged if I can find anymore out there
> (US). It appears that I can get the ECS KT600-A with an XP 3000+ 400FSB
> and
> fan for $153US and can use the 3000 in my main machine and put my old
> Duron
> 1.3 in the ECS board for the kid.
>
> My last ECS had issues with being incerdibly picky about RAM and a flakey
> CMOS and such that developed over time as the caps cooked and don't want a
> repeat of that.
>
> What about Syntax SV400 or SV266AD (I can get the latter with a 2600+@266
> darned cheap, but it's a poor third choice)?
>
> Any other good economy deals for a light duty machine out there with an
> XP3000 or something over the 2 gig threshold??????

Kent_Diego

> Any experiences with a an ECS KT600-A? Good or Bad?

It seems to be a great board, ECS is a lot better than new current cheapo
Fry's motherboard, PCChips. There is little support in the way of new BIOS
updates and only one sheet of paper for a manual.

-Kent

Jess Fertudei wrote:
> Any experiences with a an ECS KT600-A? Good or Bad?
>
> I swore no more ECS boards after my K7S5A, but I need a cheap board for
> light to medium use for my tweenager kid (schoolwork, educational games,
> some graphic work, but not a workhorse machine or heavy gamer). I wanted
> another ASRock K7S8XE+ but I'll be hanged if I can find anymore out there
> (US). It appears that I can get the ECS KT600-A with an XP 3000+ 400FSB and
> fan for $153US and can use the 3000 in my main machine and put my old Duron
> 1.3 in the ECS board for the kid.
>
> My last ECS had issues with being incerdibly picky about RAM and a flakey
> CMOS and such that developed over time as the caps cooked and don't want a
> repeat of that.
>
> What about Syntax SV400 or SV266AD (I can get the latter with a 2600+@266
> darned cheap, but it's a poor third choice)?
>
> Any other good economy deals for a light duty machine out there with an
> XP3000 or something over the 2 gig threshold??????

I just replaced my K7S5A PRO with a PcChips M848ALU, works fine.
It was $43 (w/shipping) from newegg.
I believe ECS owns and manufacturers PcChips.
Asrock is owned by Asus.
But ECS makes the motherboards for Asrock.

Kent_Diego wrote:
>>Any experiences with a an ECS KT600-A? Good or Bad?
>>

> It seems to be a great board, ECS is a lot better than new current cheapo
> Fry's motherboard, PCChips. There is little support in the way of new BIOS
> updates and only one sheet of paper for a manual.
>
> -Kent

ECS owns PcChips.

Kent_Diego

> ECS owns PcChips.

Yes, but is a big step down. Old chipset, little support or documentation.
Makes ECS look like upper line stuff, which the newer items are.

-Kent