Connecting laptop to desktop

Hi. I have a question, was wondering if someone here could help. I want to remote control a laptop with a desktop computer using a
100' cat5 line. The laptop's serial and parallel ports are used, but it's USB is free. Question. Could we connect using the cat5
line? If so, how? Is the cat5 length a problem? Can XP on the desktop do a full remote control on the laptop, or do I need
something like PC Anywhere? Any advice is greatly appreciated...Dennis

USB and CAT 5 are very different cable construction. If
both the laptop and the desktop have Ethernet RJ45 ports,
you can use CAT 5 at 100 feet without any problem. Unless
you use a hub, switch or router in between you'll need to
use a cross-over cable.

USB is limited to about 25 feet. If you have XP Pro you can
use remote desktop.

"Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
| Hi. I have a question, was wondering if someone here
could help. I want to remote control a laptop with a
desktop computer using a
| 100' cat5 line. The laptop's serial and parallel ports
are used, but it's USB is free. Question. Could we connect
using the cat5
| line? If so, how? Is the cat5 length a problem? Can XP
on the desktop do a full remote control on the laptop, or do
I need
| something like PC Anywhere? Any advice is greatly
appreciated...Dennis

bar

Jim has forgotten one small item: there are USB to Ethernet adapters, here's
one from SMC that's a 10/100 device:

http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?sec=Products&pg=Product-Details&prod=202&site=c

This will then behave like a standard Network Card and you can use the
network Wizard to set up the connection.

"Jim Macklin" wrote:

> USB and CAT 5 are very different cable construction. If
> both the laptop and the desktop have Ethernet RJ45 ports,
> you can use CAT 5 at 100 feet without any problem. Unless
> you use a hub, switch or router in between you'll need to
> use a cross-over cable.
>
> USB is limited to about 25 feet. If you have XP Pro you can
> use remote desktop.

> "Dennis Allen" <dennis@dennisallen.com> wrote in message
> | Hi. I have a question, was wondering if someone here
> could help. I want to remote control a laptop with a
> desktop computer using a
> | 100' cat5 line. The laptop's serial and parallel ports
> are used, but it's USB is free. Question. Could we connect
> using the cat5
> | line? If so, how? Is the cat5 length a problem? Can XP
> on the desktop do a full remote control on the laptop, or do
> I need
> | something like PC Anywhere? Any advice is greatly
> appreciated...Dennis

That'll work. I think there's already an ethernet adapter in the desktop.

Couple of more questions. One, I'm not familiar with the XP network/remote software. WIll I be able to remote control the laptop
from the desktop (everything I see and do on the desktop is happening on the laptop)? Two, since the cat5 will be an ethernet cable
I will be able to add a T-adapter to the cat5 and connect to a third laptop (and so on) right?