K7VZA doesn't see RAM: mobo limitation or broken DIMM?

Hi!

Upgrading an old K7VZA Rev. 3.0 motherboard, I've tried a 512MB DIMM
(64Mx72 PC133 SDRAM, CL3, ECC, registered) but the BIOS doesn't see it.

Did I just run into a limitation of the K7VZA? Or is such
a DIMM expected to run fine on this board---and probably broken if it
doesn't?

Unfortunately I cannot test the DIMM with another machine.
Anyone with a more intimate knowledge of this mobo out there?

Thanks a lot,
Nikolaus

Nikolaus Schulz <microschulz@web.de> wrote in news:39gq9nF5v86miU1
@individual.net:

> Hi!
>
> Upgrading an old K7VZA Rev. 3.0 motherboard, I've tried a 512MB DIMM
> (64Mx72 PC133 SDRAM, CL3, ECC, registered) but the BIOS doesn't see it.
>
> Did I just run into a limitation of the K7VZA? Or is such
> a DIMM expected to run fine on this board---and probably broken if it
> doesn't?
>
> Unfortunately I cannot test the DIMM with another machine.
> Anyone with a more intimate knowledge of this mobo out there?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Nikolaus

This M/B is reported to be very picky with PC133 ram. Corsair is good.

Kawosa <kawosa@email.coma> wrote:
> Nikolaus Schulz <microschulz@web.de> wrote in news:39gq9nF5v86miU1
> @individual.net:
>
>> Upgrading an old K7VZA Rev. 3.0 motherboard, I've tried a 512MB DIMM
>> (64Mx72 PC133 SDRAM, CL3, ECC, registered) but the BIOS doesn't see it.
>>
>> Did I just run into a limitation of the K7VZA? Or is such
>> a DIMM expected to run fine on this board---and probably broken if it
>> doesn't?

<snip>

> This M/B is reported to be very picky with PC133 ram. Corsair is good.

Bad news :-/ Do you have a link or pointer at your hand?
The DIMM in question here is an Infineon Chip, BTW
(HYS72V64300GR-7.5-C2).

Thanks,
Nikolaus

"Nikolaus Schulz" <microschulz@web.de> wrote in message
> Kawosa <kawosa@email.coma> wrote:
> > Nikolaus Schulz <microschulz@web.de> wrote in news:39gq9nF5v86miU1
> > @individual.net:
> >
> >> Upgrading an old K7VZA Rev. 3.0 motherboard, I've tried a 512MB DIMM
> >> (64Mx72 PC133 SDRAM, CL3, ECC, registered) but the BIOS doesn't see it.
> >>
> >> Did I just run into a limitation of the K7VZA? Or is such
> >> a DIMM expected to run fine on this board---and probably broken if it
> >> doesn't?
>
> <snip>
>
> > This M/B is reported to be very picky with PC133 ram. Corsair is good.
>
> Bad news :-/ Do you have a link or pointer at your hand?
> The DIMM in question here is an Infineon Chip, BTW
> (HYS72V64300GR-7.5-C2).
>
> Thanks,
> Nikolaus

I don't believe this board supports ECC SDRAM. Apart from that it should
work fine with up to three non-parity memory chips.

--
Remove ".invalid" with ".com" to reply